Help with Hairloss/Transplant

Hi everyone,

I have been going bald sine I was about 15-16. At first I noticed thinning around my crown area. When I was about 18 my hair line started to go. After that the balding really sped up and now virtually all of my crown is gone and my hairline. In the past two-three years the process has really sped up. The horse-shoe pattern is clearly visible and I would say it is about a Norwood 6. I am 21 years old now and I look like im 40. It really sux because everytime I go out people are always like "do you know your going bald" and its always in front of a group of ladies. It is so embarassing I really dont know what to say.

In the past couple of months I have started looking at hts. After doing research I am due to get a hairtransplant in May with Dr.Armani. I am supposed to get 3500 grafts that will cover my hairline and to the middle part of my head and the temple area. Then eventually down the line I would need to get about 2500 for the crown.

I have been reading that many people think that it is better to get an ht when your older when the thinning has stopped or you have a definate pattern established. However, I think my case is different. I will attach some current photos. Pretty much what I look like right now at the age of 21, is what a 40 year old guy looks like. I have uncles who are three times my age and have more hair on their head than me.

Here is the dilema I am facing. Say I get my ht, the 3500 in the front and 2500 in the crown and I can't take propecia or any other medicine to preserve the little hair I have left (because of the side effects). What would I do? What happens if I get the transplant and my pattern goes to a Norwood 7. Do you think the 3500 is alot? From the other consultations I have had all of the doctors suggested 2500 and up.

Please let me know what you guys think. Any help/input would be greatly appreciated.

whole_head.jpg.238a39973f21af5c5961644658d15cf6.jpg

Hi everyone,

I have been going bald sine I was about 15-16. At first I noticed thinning around my crown area. When I was about 18 my hair line started to go. After that the balding really sped up and now virtually all of my crown is gone and my hairline. In the past two-three years the process has really sped up. The horse-shoe pattern is clearly visible and I would say it is about a Norwood 6. I am 21 years old now and I look like im 40. It really sux because everytime I go out people are always like "do you know your going bald" and its always in front of a group of ladies. It is so embarassing I really dont know what to say.

In the past couple of months I have started looking at hts. After doing research I am due to get a hairtransplant in May with Dr.Armani. I am supposed to get 3500 grafts that will cover my hairline and to the middle part of my head and the temple area. Then eventually down the line I would need to get about 2500 for the crown.

I have been reading that many people think that it is better to get an ht when your older when the thinning has stopped or you have a definate pattern established. However, I think my case is different. I will attach some current photos. Pretty much what I look like right now at the age of 21, is what a 40 year old guy looks like. I have uncles who are three times my age and have more hair on their head than me.

Here is the dilema I am facing. Say I get my ht, the 3500 in the front and 2500 in the crown and I can't take propecia or any other medicine to preserve the little hair I have left (because of the side effects). What would I do? What happens if I get the transplant and my pattern goes to a Norwood 7. Do you think the 3500 is alot? From the other consultations I have had all of the doctors suggested 2500 and up.

Please let me know what you guys think. Any help/input would be greatly appreciated.

I think that most good/reputable doctors wouldn't work on you at such a young age. The reason for this is, your hair loss is very likely to progress and they know what you'll find out: the transplanted hair will stay, and when the hair behind it falls out you look bad. The only ones who would operate on you are the doctors you want to stay away from. Unethical ones.

I know this is probably something you hate to hear, but seriously: wait a few years. In the meantime, start taking Propecia right now and see where you are in 6 months to a year. Propecia will help stem further hair loss and may even regrow some hair. If you successfully arrest your hair loss in a year, then (and only then!) think about a transplant.

Welcome to the forum Mrclean,

Most people do not get the negative side effects of Finasteride although at your young age I would consult with a dermatologist first to make sure. I would think you could take Finasteride safely but check first.

It sounds like you have done some research and Dr. Armani is a fine surgeon BUT he is quite controversial, if you run a seach you'll see that he tends to be quite agressive in his restorations without much concern for the patient''s future as in "aging gracefully". Sure you'll get instant gratification but what happens in 15 years when you have almost no donor area left and there is a thinning area or bare border between your transplanted hair and your native hair??? How bad is that going to look???

I would definitely get 3 or 4 other opinions from Coalition surgeons, this is the best investment you can make in your future right now, take your time and make sure you compare different opinions.

If you care to share them with us we'll gladly help you and guide you.

That was one of the issues I was having when I thought what will happen in the future. But heres the thing, I turned 21 only a couple of months ago and the balding is very severe. I shed like crazy everyday. I think that by the time im 22 my scalp will be completly visible, as you can see in the pictures the front and crown are almost gone. Don't you think that for a 21 year old my balding is very severe? What im trying to say is that if I was 29 right now and at this stage. Why would it be ok for me to get a transplant then? I could see that If I was a norwood 2 or 3 and they suggested 6,000 grafts I would surely say no. How can the hair fall out behind the transplanted hair if there is no hair there? Sorry its kind of confusing.

My dad went bald at the age of 40, He is around a Norwood 5. What do you think I am at on the Norwood scale and will eventually end up on?

With the finasteride I was more concerned with the sexual side effects. Why would I have to see a dermatologist? I have had other opinions. Dr Rahal suggested 2500 for the front. Dr. Leeds (in Florida) suggested 1200 and Bosley said 900, but to keep getting transplants done in the future. There were two firms that refused to do a transplant on me.

I mean it sux because I entered my prime age looking like an old man. It was the worst time to, right in the middle of college. I don't think I can wait another 7 years to get a transplant. I will have gone through the days of my youth looking like an old man. Do you think that 3500 grafts is to much? I have seen several patients that were around a Norwood 6 and have had amazing transplants.

Did you also take a look at the pictures I've attached? The top one is from Jan. 30, 2007 and the second one is from October 2006.

Let me know

Thanks

Mrclean,

the problem is that docs are not sure where your hair loss will stop. If they knew that you will end up a Norwood 5, they might bite the bullet and act as if you're #5 right now, but at 21, it's hard to know where you will stop. I was a Norwood #1 up to 26 years old, only to go to #3 in a few years.

A good doctor might not want to get involved given the risk. They want to avoid you from possibly bashing them 10 years from now if you become a #7 and start blaming the doctor for "butchering" you when you were young, immature and desperate at 21...

I have MPB close to yours with maybe a tid bitmore hair between crown and hairline. I consulted only with Feller so far and he advised 2000-2500 grafts in hairline only. Then 6-7 yearts later take care of the middle. Crown is the last thing to worry.

take it slow. Consult 3 top docs.

Don't worry so much about the negative effects of Finasteride, they are quite rare. A dermatologist or a good Coalition HT surgeon can give you a prescription. First you must get on top of this shedding and slow it down or stop it. Get several consultations with Coalition Dr.'s and compare their opinions.

Where are you located Mrclean?

Given the current state of your hairloss, I think a year on Propecia is in order.

1 additional year of being/going bald is not going to kill you and it will give a good indication IF the meds are halting your hairloss.

I normally would not recommend a HT on someone 21 years old, but 2500-3500 grafts in the front half would not do any lasting damage in my opinion.

Of course, I say that based on the assumption that an ethical Doc will transplant your hairline in a conservative fashion with an eye toward the future.

With that said, I would rather you did not get a HT for a few more years, but again, if your dead set, make sure you understand what your getting yourself into.

Good Luck!!!

Go Cubs!

6721 transplanted grafts

13,906 hairs

Performed by Dr. Ron Shapiro

Dr. Ron Shapiro and Dr. Paul Shapiro are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

Hello MrClean and welcome to the forums,

As you can see, many have given you similar advice. Understandably, we know what you are going through. Whether or not your balding is severe for 21 is definitely relative. I started losing my hair at 21 and my pictures looked like yours by age 26 or 27. Then again, on the flip side, my great grandfather was completely bald by 18 NW7.

I think the advice of the above is wise. Here is what I'd do in your position:

1. Get on Finasteride right away - best form is Proscar 1/4 tablet because it's cheaper - you need a prescription

2. Stay on Finasteride for a year and research, research, research. Learn as much as you can about baldness and hair transplantation as you can.

3. Consider trying minoxodil - seemingly Rogaine Foam is best because it doesn't leave you with an oily residue and doesn't make your scalp itch. This is what I hear...I personally don't use it.

4. Consult with and research at least 3 of the doctors from here: http://www.hairlosslearningcenter.org/hair-loss-content...s/our_physicians.asp (not that I want to turn this into any debate/slander...but right now, I'd avoid Dr. Rassman...that's personal opinion due to some problems that occurred due to some carelessness on his part).

5. Wait a few years to see if the medicine slows down or stops your hairloss and consider getting a hair transplant.

6. In the meantime...save your money...hair transplantation is expensive.

I hope that helps.

Bill