Generic Propeica

Hey guys,

I think Mike75 just posted a question about this and I wanted to ask a follow up question. Does anyone have any information as to when a generic form of propecia is coming out. Merck is killing me with this whole $2 a pill thing! I'm a freakin college student! LOL.

Also I read something about Proscar, someone mentioned its a 5mg version of Propecia. Is it less expensive? Thanks

Thanks guys!

Hey guys,

I think Mike75 just posted a question about this and I wanted to ask a follow up question. Does anyone have any information as to when a generic form of propecia is coming out. Merck is killing me with this whole $2 a pill thing! I'm a freakin college student! LOL.

Also I read something about Proscar, someone mentioned its a 5mg version of Propecia. Is it less expensive? Thanks

Thanks guys!

Propecia is still covered by a patent, I believe until 2011, no generic version is legally for sale, Indian labs produce the generic form but I would not risk it. Proscar is much less expensive and available as a generic drug I believe, I'll be switching to a quarter Proscar pill daily or maybe even every other day pretty soon.

AnArabiaNight,

Yes, I can confirm that. The active ingredient in Propecia and Proscar is Finasteride. Proscar comes in 5mg and Propecia comes in one. If you have medical benefits, see if your doctor will prescribe you Proscar and take 1/5 a pill daily. You will have to cut the pill, best thing to do is use a pill cutter that you can buy at a pharmacy. I just switched from Propecia to Proscar and paid a $10 copay for 4 months worth of Proscar as opposed to $190 for 3 months of Propecia.

Bill

• Administrators

Good question and good answers. The only two reasons to buy Propecia instead of Procar(which can now be purchased as a very cheap generic) and then cutting it in to quarters are -

1) To make sure that Merck pharmacy, the maker of Propecia, maximizes their profits.

2) To avoid having to spend a few minutes every few weeks to cut Proscar into quartered doses.

I'd like to see the regulars on this forum advocating Procar and cutting it rather than Propecia. After all, why make the drug companies even more obscenely rich?

Never Forget - It's what radiates from within, not from your skin, that really matters!

My Hair Loss Blog

Sharing is what keeps this community vital. Please join in. To learn how I restored my hair and started this community, click here.

Follow our Community on Twitter.

Bill,

Not that I'm into ego inflation, but you post a lot on this forum and thus I highly value you're opinion. How long have you been on Proscar now? And can you honestly say its working the same?

on a side note: how is that legal if merck came out with it first? I'm sorry for being so skeptical, but if its the same thing and has the same active ingredient I would think they wouldn't let it pass?

I'd like to see the regulars on this forum advocating Procar and cutting it rather than Propecia. After all, why make the drug companies even more obscenely rich?

Amen to that Pat.

AnArabianNight,

Don't worry...I won't let your compliment get to my head icon_wink.gif. Though maybe if I let these compliments get to my hair, it will be even thickler when it all grows in icon_biggrin.gif.

Honestly, I just switched to Proscar but haven't used it yet. I'm still finishing off the last bit of Propecia I have before switching to Proscar. So, I can't tell you from experience that 1/4 pill of Proscar a day works the same as Propecia, but I know other members CAN confirm this. Scientifically, I can confirm it because Proscar is the exact same pill with a higher dosage of Finasteride. Cut it into quarters and you have Propecia pills.

Regarding the legality of it...I can't honestly answer the question. Propecia is marketed specifically for hairloss whereas Proscar is a medicine for inflamation and swelling of the prostrate. BUT, when you cut Proscar into quarters (or actually 5ths), you have Propecia. I am assuming drug companies can get away with it simply because there are no laws against it. Maybe some other posters who know more about medicine and law could answer this question better than I can.

Bill

Propecia is marketed specifically for hairloss whereas Proscar is a medicine for inflamation and swelling of the prostrate.

So does that mean that there are other medications in Proscar that are not in Propecia. And if not then shouldn't Propecia also be used for inflamation and swelling of the prostate?