Male Cosmetic Procedures

flyby

I was reading an article about how much of an increase there has been in males getting cosmetic procedures over the past years. While male procedures are still only 9% male compared to 91% female the growth rate is the same as for females. Here's some numbers from 2007 as reported by the American Society of Plastic Surgeons.

Nose reshaping (74,090)

Eyelid surgery (34,896)

Liposuction (32,800)

Male breast reduction (21,311)

Hair transplants (13,393)

I'm surpised to see male breast reductions beat hair transplant. I guess there's lots of manboobs out there or something icon_biggrin.gif. I also think that with some of the great work that these top docs are doing hair transplanst will be moving up that list.

As for liposuction I'm not a big believer in getting a cosmetic procedure for something that can be achieved through diet and exercise. Too bad diet and excerise doesn't work for hair.

I was reading an article about how much of an increase there has been in males getting cosmetic procedures over the past years. While male procedures are still only 9% male compared to 91% female the growth rate is the same as for females. Here's some numbers from 2007 as reported by the American Society of Plastic Surgeons.

Nose reshaping (74,090)

Eyelid surgery (34,896)

Liposuction (32,800)

Male breast reduction (21,311)

Hair transplants (13,393)

I'm surpised to see male breast reductions beat hair transplant. I guess there's lots of manboobs out there or something icon_biggrin.gif. I also think that with some of the great work that these top docs are doing hair transplanst will be moving up that list.

As for liposuction I'm not a big believer in getting a cosmetic procedure for something that can be achieved through diet and exercise. Too bad diet and excerise doesn't work for hair.

Originally posted by Bill:

flyby,

Interesting statistics! That is kind of funny about male breast reduction being above hair transplants. I guess the number of manboobs are greater than the number of baldies icon_biggrin.gif

Bill

That's a scary number of manboobs, really!!!!

Timothy Carman, MD ABHRS

President, (ABHRS)
ABHRS Board of Directors

I would dispute the 13K for hairtransplants

100 doctors doing 200 HT's a year is 20000.

Bosley and MHR probably do several thousand a year alone.

I understand that many docs cannot do 200 cases a year, but 13K is way under IMHO.

Go Cubs!

6721 transplanted grafts

13,906 hairs

Performed by Dr. Ron Shapiro

Dr. Ron Shapiro and Dr. Paul Shapiro are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

Yes, this is not an accurate stat, primary because it was based on the American Society of plastic surgeons...very few plastic surgeons do Hair Transplants, in that specializing in Hair Transplants is so critical- most cosmetic surgeons are not going to give up all the other procedures they are trained to do and just do hair transplants.

I remember in 1996 on the front page of Fortune magazine it read "He's so vein" pertaining to what men where spending on themselves in regard to cosmetic surgery Hair Transplants alone were 800 million and all the other cosmetic surgeries together, total of 14 different procedures were only 500 million. Transplants were almost double all the other procedures together. I am sure they are increase since then.

So I would doubt male breast reduction would exceed transplants. Theoretically it makes sense that hair transplants would be so big. Hair is a big accessory to ones face and approx 75-85% of the male population has some degree of hair loss unlike big noses or man boobs and that universally the results of hair transplants are getting better.

Patient Educator, Shapiro Medical. Going on 20years with Dr Ron Shapiro......not a regular poster, I leave that to Janna