Growth and Scar issues

Here are some pics of my procedure completed on January 6th 2006. 4months and 20 days ago. I have major concerns about my scar, especially on the right side and the minor growth at this point.

Here is a firt pic of my scar :

4_months_and_18_days-ScarBack.jpg.cceefe328a43d85cf83a4ae1173db773.jpg

What are you opinions on :

Condition of scar ?

Solutions to improve scar ?

Amount of growth for almost 5 months ?

Hair line position, I am 25 years old, and the HT doctor refused to advance hairline a bit closer than my natural one. It is about 1 and a half to 2 inches below the natural one, with my natural hair still growing in front on it ?

Thank you for your attention

We'll if the tricho technique was used then I imagine the scar will become less visible in time. I guess to make it less visible I would grow your hair out longer and to use concealer like Toppik.

1344 grafts with Ron Shapiro - June 2006

MTLien44,

I think it's too early to judge your scar. Considering you're wearing your hair ultra short, it really doesn't look too bad- I'd let it grow a bit if I were you. Looks more like you have a little shock loss around it which should come back. It varies from person to person, but shocked hair should start growing back anywhere from 2-4 months so maybe you'll see some improvement soon. Also, with tricho, you should have hair coming through the scar which will help with coverage.

You may try using a topical ointment like Mederma, or something to assist in scar healing and to fade the redness and soften the scar.

Tough to comment on your hairline from what I'm seeing. If you're only 25, I'd lean toward the conservative side in case you need more donor hair for any future loss.

Be patient and give it a little more time.

Hairbank

1st HT 1-18-05 - 1200 FUT's

2nd HT 2-15-06 - 3886 FUT's Dr. Wong

3rd HT 4-24-08 - 2415 FUT's Dr. Wong

GRAND TOTAL: 7501 GRAFTS

current regimen: 1.25mg finasteride every other day

My Hair Loss Weblog

Disclaimer: I'm not a Doctor (and have never played one on TV ;) ) and have no medical training. Any information I share here is in an effort to help those who don't like hair loss.

Tri? I dont know, it looks to big for me. Let me explain. For my first HT, I had a big scar, the doctor used setures, I think thats how you spell it. Your scar looks very similar like my scar from my first HT. I just had my second HT, April 24/2006, with Dr. Feller. He used the trio technice and my scar is very small compared to my old one. I mean, in my second HT, Dr. Feller cut the old scar out, so I have only one scar now. My point is, my current scar, is very small compared to what my old scar looked like..

Thanks for your opinion...

The HT doctor specifically advertised that he was using only Tricho closure technique for his strip excision. How can I know if it was tricho in fact and would there be any advantage for a Dr. to say he uses Tricho and use another method?

Did the Dr. close the wound with staples or sutures?

I had my tricho closure with sutures and the sutures left a red mark either side of the scar.

The scar itself is invisible after 3 months but I still have some redness like you which is about 2-3mm wide,caused by the absorbable sutures staying in for about 4 weeks. It's fading now though and the Dr. said it would be faded completely by 6 months.

I see the guys who had staples don't seem to have this problem.

Yes...

There are in fact hairs growing through the scar as a trichophytic closure should allow !!!

I did have sutures not staples and actually the scar itself seems to be healing ok but the redness is still very visible. I did also notice myself that all the people that had staples seem to have very good results. Maybe the staples should be considered by every HT clinic. It looks barbaric to staple a person's head but the results seem to justify the means...

If at the 6 months mark, the redness fades aways I will be satisfied. My HT doctor says I should be patient...

I had sutures and my scar is very good. To be honest that seems to be excessive redness. I had some redness, but it was a thin line of redness, not a thick area like yours. I'm not sure where all of your redness is coming from. By about 4 months, mine had faded.

2700 Total Grafts w/ Keene 9/28/05

663 one's = 663

1116 two's = 2232

721 three's = 2163

200 four's = 800

Hair Count = 5858

1000 Total Grafts w/Keene 2/08/07

Mostly combined FU's for 2600+ hairs

My Photo Album

See me at Dr. Keene's Gallery

You obviously have easily marked skin as I do. After 12 weeks I can't find my scar but I still have the annoying redness left over from the sutures.

Here are some pics after 5 weeks and 12 weeks.

And sorry, my Dr. said it would fade completely between 6 and 12 months. Let's hope it's more 6 than 12.

1month_002.jpg.f9072180b92e245e01818390862afb31.jpg

Hi

Too early to judge. I'm at 5 months and my scar is still pink ( T closure). This is my second procedure as well with the first being without the T closure.. Keep in mind my first scar was virtually undetectable but took anout 6-7 months to disapperar. I have heard the T closure might take a little longer to heal as well. Again everyone heals different so I would wait until 7-10 months for it to fade...

JOBI

1417 FUT - Dr. True

1476 FUT - Dr. True

2124 FUT - Dr. True

604 FUE - Dr. True

My views are based on my personal experiences, research and objective observations. I am not a doctor.

Total - 5621 FU's uncut!

Thank you for the pictures BrianF,

I think that the redness of your scar is comparable to mine in the center and left side of my scar, but my scar after 14 weeks is still thicker and more red than pick on the right side. The right side is the side where my first HT excision was performed, maybe that has an influence on the healing. I will wait another 2 or 3 months I guess to better appreciate the results.

Thank you Mrjb for the reassuring comments...

I do remember that my first procedure, even tough it was not trichophytic closure did produce great results after 5-7 months !!! At that time it was only on one side of my head but now that it is ear to ear it is much more noticeable.

Regarding my HT Dr. comments...

He says everything should be fine in a few months. I emailed him a couple of times with specific questions but he simply asked me to be patient that everything would be fine!!!

To my perception if growth was advertised to be noticeable between 3 to 9 months and that the healing of the scar was advertised as taking between 3 to 10 months, I think I would be much less impatient. When your expectaction are that by the summer your scar wouldnt be an issue anymore and that most of your graphs would be growing, it is difficult not to be dispointed when after almost 5 months you are still relatively far from that point....

MT

Your scar is almost identical to mine so I think you are OK ( unless we are both screwed haha).. Honestly, it takes time as this is my second procedure. Give it time. Remember we just had our heads sliced opened. In fact I question many of the posters who show completely heal scars are 2 months.. give yourself ( us) at least 6-8 months

JOBI

1417 FUT - Dr. True

1476 FUT - Dr. True

2124 FUT - Dr. True

604 FUE - Dr. True

My views are based on my personal experiences, research and objective observations. I am not a doctor.

Total - 5621 FU's uncut!

Guest bro66

yeah MTLIEN, i'm about 6 months since my HT, and i'm feeling the same way, anxious and frustrated, my scar is still red, there's a little hair growth on the scar, but mostly just around the scar, and yes, i expected by now, by june, my transplants would have started growing, my scar would be completely healed, and the hair on my scar would have grown back. i guess that's why the docs give that big range in months when to expect new growth and complete healing. icon_mad.gificon_frown.gif

Originally posted by brianf:

Redness after 12 weeks

You did your procedure with the thailand doc right?

Your scar it passes the ear, why so long scar, is that normal to pass by the ear with the scar? I always thought the scar stops behind the ear not in front of it?

Thanx