Why a hair transplant, anyway ?

I have had such a great time pouring over the posts on this incredible web site over the last three months, specifically the forum. We have the technoguys (I'm not going to mention names, we all know who they are), the naysayers (ditto), the surgeon worshipers (ditto), the sceptical (ditto), and probably a ton of guys like me that are just researchers, looking for solutions. We're just cool guys that have been given crappy hairlines that have been waiting for a great cure to come along to do something about it(our crappy hairlines). We are successful in our lives and our families, but if we could do it our way, we would have an appearance (that includes hair) that reflects our mental state. I, by the way, am 54, going on probably 35. So, after finding this site, and reading posts concerning FU's, FUE's, minis, micros, coverage/sqcm, follicular density, enjoying the banter between certain doctors and web site developers, etc, etc., etc., I decided that the technology had reached my comfort level, so I took the plunge (last Friday). Kept my hairline high, basically planted within my existing hair site, did a little on the crown,(if you must know, 2100 fu's total, strip method) and now, a week after surgery, feel, without a doubt, it was a great decision.

So, why a hair transplant, anyway ??? Because we know we're better looking than our hairline would lead others to believe at first sight, and we're willing to do something about it, or the technology has finally caught up with us, after research and soulsearch. OR, we just really needed a change, or whatever !! My wife thinks the new fuzz is quite becoming, by the way. We've been married 23 years, with 5 kids.

I want to thank all you guys for being a part of this site. It's really fascinating what goes on here. I've sort of gotten hooked. My congratulations to Pat on a web site concept who's time is here, and a great ability to draw an honest cross section of intelligent guys to share information.

I have had such a great time pouring over the posts on this incredible web site over the last three months, specifically the forum. We have the technoguys (I'm not going to mention names, we all know who they are), the naysayers (ditto), the surgeon worshipers (ditto), the sceptical (ditto), and probably a ton of guys like me that are just researchers, looking for solutions. We're just cool guys that have been given crappy hairlines that have been waiting for a great cure to come along to do something about it(our crappy hairlines). We are successful in our lives and our families, but if we could do it our way, we would have an appearance (that includes hair) that reflects our mental state. I, by the way, am 54, going on probably 35. So, after finding this site, and reading posts concerning FU's, FUE's, minis, micros, coverage/sqcm, follicular density, enjoying the banter between certain doctors and web site developers, etc, etc., etc., I decided that the technology had reached my comfort level, so I took the plunge (last Friday). Kept my hairline high, basically planted within my existing hair site, did a little on the crown,(if you must know, 2100 fu's total, strip method) and now, a week after surgery, feel, without a doubt, it was a great decision.

So, why a hair transplant, anyway ??? Because we know we're better looking than our hairline would lead others to believe at first sight, and we're willing to do something about it, or the technology has finally caught up with us, after research and soulsearch. OR, we just really needed a change, or whatever !! My wife thinks the new fuzz is quite becoming, by the way. We've been married 23 years, with 5 kids.

I want to thank all you guys for being a part of this site. It's really fascinating what goes on here. I've sort of gotten hooked. My congratulations to Pat on a web site concept who's time is here, and a great ability to draw an honest cross section of intelligent guys to share information.

quote, "We're just cool guys that have been given crappy hairlines that have been waiting for a great cure to come along to do something about it"

you said it! Propecia and rogaine and these other darn potions won't do anything for me (i'm a NW 2). and i'm sorry for the guys who have less hair than i. but i hate it when the wind blows the hair that covers my temples and exposes my lack of hair... it sucks. It really, really sucks when you take pictures with friends at a daytime college football game and the wind blows your hair. i look older than i am.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Propecia and rogaine and these other darn potions won't do anything for me (i'm a NW 2).

You tried Propecia and Minoxidil, and they didn't stop your hair loss from progressing?

How long were you on Propecia? Just curious.

I think what he means by saying it won't do anything for him is the fact that propecia does very little as far as hairline goes.

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic''. Arthur C. Clarke

Propecia can help maintain your hair and prevent it from falling out.

Also, it can work anywhere on your scalp that there is miniaturization of follicles.

It can even help prevent thinning in your donor area.

life in the glen:

Welcome to the site and I must say, I enjoyed reading your post. Very well written, and you stated a lot of things that I have thought of as far as rationalizing an HT and you put it very well.

A lot of it is attitude. Do you believe you are entitled to more? To something better? To a new possibility?

Will you approach such a decision with knowledge, research, and clarity of thought? Or will you "go for it" and let the chips fall where they may? Depends on the individual personality, of course.

I hope to help others make informed decisions about something that will change them forever.

I hope you'll join in by continuing to share your experience and posting.

Happy regrowth!

vocor1

Knowledge is Power

If the worst question is the one never asked, then the worst answer is the one never shared.