HT with Dr Charles on 10/1/07

I just had my first HT done yesterday by Dr. Glenn Charles in Boca Raton, FL.

I started receding when i was about 18-19 years old and I'm now 24. I researched and consulted for about 3 years while I was raising the money I needed. I first went to MHR for a free consultation about 3 years ago and then I read on this website about them so I stayed away. Then I went to Dr Lawrence Shapiro, even left a deposit, but then I read about him in this forum and cancelled and asked for a refund (which I'll tell you more about it in anoter topic).

So, thanks for my research in this forum, I ended up in Dr. Charles office.

I arrived yesterday at the Dr's office at about 9:30am. We took some pics and then the doctor designed my hairline. We had decided to do work in the frontal area, temples and top of the scalp while leaving the vertex untouched for now, maybe for a future 2nd HT. The doctor gave me some valiums and an atibiotic and off we were to the surgical room at around 10:15 AM.

I have to say that the most uncomfortable part of the entire procedure was the aplication of anesthesia. The rest of it was a walk in the park, I was watching a movie, chatting with the assistants, I even fell asleep at one point, then I woke up, we took a 20min break for lunch that the doctor's staff ordered, and we were finished by around 3pm.

All in all, 2019 grafts were placed in my frontal, temples and a bit on the top scalp area. Dr Charles and his staff were extermely kind and everything was done in a very relaxed and cheerful atmosphere.

Last night was a bit uncomfortable, as the anesthesia wore off the sutures started to feel a bit tight. The doctor called me at around 9pm to see how I was doing. I took a Vicodin that Dr Charles gave me in case I felt any pain, the antibiotic, and then I went to sleep.

I know I'm missing a lot of details, so anything u wanna know just ask. I'll post pre and post-op pics in the next couple of days/

This site has been really helpful for me so I thought I'd share my experience for others :-)

I just had my first HT done yesterday by Dr. Glenn Charles in Boca Raton, FL.

I started receding when i was about 18-19 years old and I'm now 24. I researched and consulted for about 3 years while I was raising the money I needed. I first went to MHR for a free consultation about 3 years ago and then I read on this website about them so I stayed away. Then I went to Dr Lawrence Shapiro, even left a deposit, but then I read about him in this forum and cancelled and asked for a refund (which I'll tell you more about it in anoter topic).

So, thanks for my research in this forum, I ended up in Dr. Charles office.

I arrived yesterday at the Dr's office at about 9:30am. We took some pics and then the doctor designed my hairline. We had decided to do work in the frontal area, temples and top of the scalp while leaving the vertex untouched for now, maybe for a future 2nd HT. The doctor gave me some valiums and an atibiotic and off we were to the surgical room at around 10:15 AM.

I have to say that the most uncomfortable part of the entire procedure was the aplication of anesthesia. The rest of it was a walk in the park, I was watching a movie, chatting with the assistants, I even fell asleep at one point, then I woke up, we took a 20min break for lunch that the doctor's staff ordered, and we were finished by around 3pm.

All in all, 2019 grafts were placed in my frontal, temples and a bit on the top scalp area. Dr Charles and his staff were extermely kind and everything was done in a very relaxed and cheerful atmosphere.

Last night was a bit uncomfortable, as the anesthesia wore off the sutures started to feel a bit tight. The doctor called me at around 9pm to see how I was doing. I took a Vicodin that Dr Charles gave me in case I felt any pain, the antibiotic, and then I went to sleep.

I know I'm missing a lot of details, so anything u wanna know just ask. I'll post pre and post-op pics in the next couple of days/

This site has been really helpful for me so I thought I'd share my experience for others :-)

Im glad to hear that you were so cautious with everything. some people would have just gone ahead with a doc if they couldnt get their deposit back. you played it smart. money comes and goes but the transplant will be there for years to come.

Ive never heard of Dr.Charles, but if youve been on this site for three years then Im sure you heard some good things. Thanks for posting, hope you have good growth and results.

Hi,

Dr. Charles worked with us for number of years at Shapiro Medical Group. You are in good hands with him and his staff. I'm sure you will be happy with your results. We'll look forward to your pre and post op pics. Good luck.

To tell you about my deposit to Lawrence Shapiro I have to tell you a little story first.

When I got to Lawrence Shapiro's office, I was recieved by a salesperson, a woman named Vicky from Hungary. She explained everything, showed me around, then the doctor came, talked to me at a speed of about 200 miles an hour. said that he wanted me to see a patient that he just got done with, so we went into a room where there was a guy sitting in the chair, talked and laughed for about 3min, then we went into the doctor's office so I could talk to a patient that was 10 months post-op. At the end of all this I went back to the saleschick where she asked me "SO YOU'RE GONNA DO IT WITH THE DOCTOR OR NOT?".

She seemed a little pushy, the jokes I heard from the guy on the chair and the doctor's laughter sounded extremely rehearsed and very poorly acted, the 10-months post-op guy sounded like it wasn't the first tiem he was saying his speech, but i thought to myself "maybe it's just me that I over-analyze everything", so I left a $200.- deposit for my appointment and left.

When I got home I logged into this website and the first thing I see in the home page is that little animated image on top of the screen of the guys' before and after pics, and that guy that looks like Tony Soprano is the exact same guy that I just talked to in Shapiro's office as if he was recently done with the procedure. So one thing on top of the other, it all added up to too many shady things. I called to cancel my appointment and get my refund back.

This woman named Vicky talked to me in a very disrespectful way, saying that she could only refund me 100 because they had already done my bloodwork (I was there one day at 7pm and called to cancel the next day at 10am, so when did they do my bloodwork?). So she transfered me to Shapiro himself, he told me he would refund me my 200 dollars because "we don't need your money", and started to ask me why did I cancel, and what other doctor was I gonna go, and all kinds of things that weren't of his interest.

About 3 days later I check into my bank account and the refund isn't there, I called my bank and they told me that it wasn't even pending, they just never got the refund notice (which Shapiro told me they were gonna send that same day).

So I called back to Shapiro's office and I made the mistake of saying who I was first, so of course, the person I had to talk to wasn't there and I could only leave a message so that they would call me back. The next day nobody called me, what a surprise!! right???.

After a week and a half of my cancellation I ended up writing a letter saying that I cancelled my appointment and I was demanding the full refund of my deposit in the following 48hs or else I would take legal action. I had it notarized and faxed it from the bank. 48hs later my 200 dollars were refunded. icon_biggrin.gif

(Spotlight Kid is a song by a band called Rainbow)

Yeah, it was the exact same guy, I don't know how or why but I didn't care.

And yes, I'm talking about LAWRENCE Shapiro of Hollywood FL, not Ron or Paul.

But I don't wanna make this thread about him,

I'm really glad I went to Dr Glenn Charles, I'm 1 day pos-op now and I can't wait to see my results.

SLK,

glad to hear your excited about your results. Not suprised to hear that SLK is from a band called "Rainbow".

Man, thats really weird about the guy whose picture is on this site though. What the hell is that about? Thats really screwed up.

Bill, what is this? Do you know one of your male models is getting pimped out by other docs? Thats really messed up.

rainbow lover: you were REALLY smart to cancel with these other docs man. I hope you get good results, but it definetely showed some saviness on your part to wait it out for a doc you were comfterable with. Im guessing hes a coalition doc, Ive just never heard of him myself.

Yes, he is a coalition doc, you can look him up, Dr Glenn Charles.

I just created a weblog, let's see if the link appears right below my nickname, there's some pics pre and post op there.

PS. that song rocks! look it up! icon_biggrin.gif

Yeah I don't know what the problem is, but you can go into the weblogs section and look me up under "spotlightkid".

Rainbow is actually a really good hard rock band from the 70's and 80's.

Spotlightkid,

Congratulations on selecting a first-rate hair restoration physician for your hair transplant surgery. Dr. Glenn Charles performs state of the art ultra refined follicular unit transplantation.

I also took the liberty of correcting the link to your weblog under your name.

So for all those looking for it, click the link under spotlightkid's name or go to the following URL: http://www.hairtransplantnetwork.com/blog/home-page.asp?WebID=430

Best wishes,

Bill