Question/Answer: When will I look normal after an HT?

When will I look "normal" after a hair transplant?

Many people are concerned how soon they will look "normal" after a hair transplant. Since the donor area (the sides and back of your head) and the recipient area (the top of your head where hair follicles are placed) are affected, we must address both in order to answer this question. "Normal", however is a very loose term. We can define "normal" as looking exactly (or close to it) as one did before surgery. We can also define "normal" as no indication that surgery happened.

Unfortunately, there is no exact length of time one can give to answer this question due to the number of variables. However, you can use the below as a guide in order to help you determine the phases one typically goes through during and after hair transplant surgery.

1. Some doctors require shaving of the recipient area where the hair is being transplanted. If you don't have any native hair in that area, then it won't have to be shaved. (Note: look up shaving as to why some doctors require it...many believe it will yield better results. You can find a few articles here:

A statement by Dr. Hasson who believes strongly in the benefits of shaving: http://hair-restoration-info.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/346...571041502#9571041502

More discussion about shaving: http://hair-restoration-info.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/746...861/m/4941056292/p/1

2. Even if a doctor doesn't require shaving, you will have little scabs all over your head for the first 10-12 days. Following the doctors post op instructions will facilitate scab removal.

3 Between 2-4 weeks the little hairs will fall out and grow back in about 3 months. But you will have little hairs in the transplanted area for 2-4 weeks after the hair transplant.

4. Recipient area redness/pinkness can last anywhere from a couple weeks to a couple months.

5. You may experience shock loss if hair was transplanted in between native hair. This will leave you with a thinner look until the shocked hair begins to grow back between 3-6 months.

There are some things you can do to try to conceal your surgery for the first couple months in order to look as "normal" as possible:

1. Wear a loose fitting hat for the first 10 days in public...after that, you can wear a normal fitting hat. This is the easiest way to cover up your surgery while you are healing.

2. For the first 10 days, If you have NOT had your recipient area shaved, you can attempt to conceal the grafts with your native hair until the grafts fall out. Be extra careful NOT to touch the grafts with a comb or brush for the first 10 days.

3. After 2 weeks, you can use some kind of cover-up like Dermatch or Toppik on the recipient area to conceal the surgery

4. Keep the sides and back of your hair longer to conceal any sutures, staples, and scarring.

5. After 10 days and suture/staples removal, if you've had your recipient area "shaved", shave the rest of your head down to a short clip to blend with the rest with the grafts. This, however, will reveal the scar.

It's important to understand that looking "abnormal" is temporary. The ultimate result in the hand of a skilled physician will be a cosmetically pleasing result. Scarring should be minimal and will heal over time (12 month maturation) and you will have new hair on your head to show for it. Depending on the number of grafts/hairs you receive/need and how they are placed, will ultimately determine the result.

Bill

When will I look "normal" after a hair transplant?

Many people are concerned how soon they will look "normal" after a hair transplant. Since the donor area (the sides and back of your head) and the recipient area (the top of your head where hair follicles are placed) are affected, we must address both in order to answer this question. "Normal", however is a very loose term. We can define "normal" as looking exactly (or close to it) as one did before surgery. We can also define "normal" as no indication that surgery happened.

Unfortunately, there is no exact length of time one can give to answer this question due to the number of variables. However, you can use the below as a guide in order to help you determine the phases one typically goes through during and after hair transplant surgery.

1. Some doctors require shaving of the recipient area where the hair is being transplanted. If you don't have any native hair in that area, then it won't have to be shaved. (Note: look up shaving as to why some doctors require it...many believe it will yield better results. You can find a few articles here:

A statement by Dr. Hasson who believes strongly in the benefits of shaving: http://hair-restoration-info.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/346...571041502#9571041502

More discussion about shaving: http://hair-restoration-info.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/746...861/m/4941056292/p/1

2. Even if a doctor doesn't require shaving, you will have little scabs all over your head for the first 10-12 days. Following the doctors post op instructions will facilitate scab removal.

3 Between 2-4 weeks the little hairs will fall out and grow back in about 3 months. But you will have little hairs in the transplanted area for 2-4 weeks after the hair transplant.

4. Recipient area redness/pinkness can last anywhere from a couple weeks to a couple months.

5. You may experience shock loss if hair was transplanted in between native hair. This will leave you with a thinner look until the shocked hair begins to grow back between 3-6 months.

There are some things you can do to try to conceal your surgery for the first couple months in order to look as "normal" as possible:

1. Wear a loose fitting hat for the first 10 days in public...after that, you can wear a normal fitting hat. This is the easiest way to cover up your surgery while you are healing.

2. For the first 10 days, If you have NOT had your recipient area shaved, you can attempt to conceal the grafts with your native hair until the grafts fall out. Be extra careful NOT to touch the grafts with a comb or brush for the first 10 days.

3. After 2 weeks, you can use some kind of cover-up like Dermatch or Toppik on the recipient area to conceal the surgery

4. Keep the sides and back of your hair longer to conceal any sutures, staples, and scarring.

5. After 10 days and suture/staples removal, if you've had your recipient area "shaved", shave the rest of your head down to a short clip to blend with the rest with the grafts. This, however, will reveal the scar.

It's important to understand that looking "abnormal" is temporary. The ultimate result in the hand of a skilled physician will be a cosmetically pleasing result. Scarring should be minimal and will heal over time (12 month maturation) and you will have new hair on your head to show for it. Depending on the number of grafts/hairs you receive/need and how they are placed, will ultimately determine the result.

Bill

• 4 months later...
Originally posted by Bill - Moderator:

LOL Youngguy....not exactly the same as what i said...but funny nonetheless.

Bill

Thanks..Bill..youngGuy..bspot

I've seen alot of post-op pics where guys look just about the same as pre-op...in roughly three weeks....hope that happens for me.

Of course if guys are having massive jobs/shaving head ect...i'm sure it's a longer process to be "normal" again...common sense.

My concern is having to walk around with a hat for three months.

I'm not having my head shaved plus alot of the work is "inside" my existing hairline.

Thanks again guys

More_Hair;

I was in the same situation as you in may , I would say after two weeks you could lose the hat-if your hair is long enough to cover the donor area (but stay out of the wind). You should be able to get by if your work is done mostly within the hairline . But I would say after 2 1/2 months everyday it gets better and better - I would say in your situation 10 weeks or so after the HT you start looking better than you did before the HT.

chibbler

I disguised all 3 of my HT's. Bill's advice is right on, specificically

1- I didnt shave my head

2 - Took about 10 days off work ( wore a hat during)

3 - Used dermatch to cover up the grafts when I returned

4 - Left the donor area a bit longer to hide the scar

JOBI

1417 FUT - Dr. True

1476 FUT - Dr. True

2124 FUT - Dr. True

604 FUE - Dr. True

My views are based on my personal experiences, research and objective observations. I am not a doctor.

Total - 5621 FU's uncut!

Hi

Yes, I did have native hair but I used concealer prior as well. 10 days and you may have some pinkness still ..

JOBI

1417 FUT - Dr. True

1476 FUT - Dr. True

2124 FUT - Dr. True

604 FUE - Dr. True

My views are based on my personal experiences, research and objective observations. I am not a doctor.

Total - 5621 FU's uncut!

• 5 years later...

I recently had a surgical hair transplant session, after 1 month now there are small pimples coming on transplanted area which sometimes become puss filled, i have been told by my doctor that they are normal and he gave me antibiotic. Now after using that for more then 12 days still pimples are popping and new appears. There is rediness on my head too and when they pop they bleed. I am tired on cleaning them again and again. If it is foliculaitus, what is the best medicine to treat it? i was given Biflocin 500mg 1+1 but no improvement. Can anyone help please? for reducing itching and rediness i have started using Steprox shampoo....

1) what medicine should i take?

2) which shampoo?

3) does pooping effect the underlying graft?

This is a nice summary of the post-op recovery process, Bill. I've attached a clip of a few of my patients (both FUT and FUE) a few weeks post-op in order to provide a sense for what it actually looks like during the recovery process. Patients in our practice undergoing FUT do not need to shave their head.

@sigtran: you can simply use a cotton ball soaked in rubbing alcohol and rub the ingrown hairs at this stage. This provides a clean surface for creating a micro abrasion to liberate any underlying follicle. A topical mupirocin 2% ointment can also benefit an area that is markedly itchy and red. Finally, I'm assuming that you meant "popping" in your final question. That will not impact the final result. Not doing what you actually inquired about in 3) can certainly have more calamitous consequences…