HT: Possible to do it in ONE pass

Ok, I know there are many variables that do go into answering this question. I have done the research, had consults, and read the forums. What makes one person happy, may not make another happy. One pass may be enough for one person, but not another.

My stats: 32 years old, NW4A, blonde hair, dad is 60 and NW5, grandparents both have full heads of hair (go figure).

Is it realistic to have only one HT or are two really necessary to get good results?

I know there are a ton of factors, but what do you all think.

Thanks, EMAN

My initial HT thread:

done and done!! Check it out...

Ok, I know there are many variables that do go into answering this question. I have done the research, had consults, and read the forums. What makes one person happy, may not make another happy. One pass may be enough for one person, but not another.

My stats: 32 years old, NW4A, blonde hair, dad is 60 and NW5, grandparents both have full heads of hair (go figure).

Is it realistic to have only one HT or are two really necessary to get good results?

I know there are a ton of factors, but what do you all think.

Thanks, EMAN

My initial HT thread:

Eman-

This post will be loaded with opinions..............I'll give you mine. As you said, really, there are too many variables to be certain. The only real way is to find out how much donor hair you have, it's density and your scalp laxity.

IMO....at NW4A you may be able to get "GOOD" results with one pass. I would guesstimate that, at that stage of loss, more than 50% of the time if you choose a surgeon with the ability to perform mega sessions of at least 4000 or more you could get enough grafts for one pass.

At your age and stage of loss, thought, you will have to see if you progress further and need work in the future. Not a definite but a possibility.

Hairbank

1st HT 1-18-05 - 1200 FUT's

2nd HT 2-15-06 - 3886 FUT's Dr. Wong

3rd HT 4-24-08 - 2415 FUT's Dr. Wong

GRAND TOTAL: 7501 GRAFTS

current regimen: 1.25mg finasteride every other day

My Hair Loss Weblog

Disclaimer: I'm not a Doctor (and have never played one on TV ;) ) and have no medical training. Any information I share here is in an effort to help those who don't like hair loss.

From what you say, I too believe that a single HT would be sufficient for you....( assuming your self analysis is spot on). Something you should think seriously about is, left to naturally regress, where do you expect your hairline and density to be in 10 years. I say this to force you to think realistically at how you want your restored hairline and added density to be placed. Unfortunately, a HT is not going to restore your hair to that of an 18 year old. Realistic goals and expectations, in the hands of a skilled Doctor will give you a lifetime of hair of your head. Good luck with your research, I think you'll enjoy this forum. Cheers, S-n-P

HT#1 4944FU 23May06-Hasson

HT#2 1960FU 16Jan07- Hasson

6904 Total FU, 13160 Hairs

2184-1's, 3184-2's, 1536-3's

IMO one pass should do the trick for now ....

If you have good donor supply, etc, etc ... You could get very good coverage and be happy for a long time.

But who knows where you will be in 30 years????

My personal regret regret is that I discovered this forum after my first HT, I just underwent my second HT and If I had the knowledge I have now I would made different choices and yes, I would have had only one HT. I am hoping this one will last me forever but I am afraid there is no such thing so if I need a small touch up in a few years I'll probably consider FUE, if indeed I only need a low FU count. I do my best to maintain what have.

Thanks guys for the responses....KEEP them coming.

SNP- I hope that I have realistic expectations for now--4000+ good coverage. I will be going to one of the coalition docs for sure (that is where I got my Norwood scale), knowing that density won't be that of when I was 18 (shoot?!?!) and hopefully not caring anymore about it in my mid 60's. I just really do not want to go in for a second HT

HK- I hear you about making the decision right the first time. I am lucky as I almost went to a mill, but came across this website and many helpful people.

Keep the opinions coming...

My initial HT thread:

Just wanted to chime in that one and done is very rare (nw4+)...sure go in hoping for the best but just remain realistic that a second soon after or in the future (5-10years will be needed)...considering your age and the very real problem of hair greed...So in the end two HT are not needed for good results, I just find more often then not are needed for great results.

Bayscholar

Hi

Good advice above but you really need to see a doc to determine your profile.. Laxity , donor quality and quantity, and your needs are all factors.. Hopefully, you are on Propecia to keep what you have .. If not I would stabilize the hairloss prior to having any work.. These days if you are willing to shave your head, H & W can possibly do 6000 Ht's in one pass.

BUT it depend on your situation

Good luck

JOBI

1417 FUT - Dr. True

1476 FUT - Dr. True

2124 FUT - Dr. True

604 FUE - Dr. True

My views are based on my personal experiences, research and objective observations. I am not a doctor.

Total - 5621 FU's uncut!

Bay,

You reminded me of something I keep forgetting. Hair greed; I will see such great improvement after a year....but then think "you know, just a few more right here and some right there would be even better"....Kind of like painting a house and later realizing how much a difference a few new curtains could make with the new paint....

Eman (YES)...but

This depends heavily on your specific situation and characteristics.... compounded by the uncertainty the future may or may not hold. But I will say this.....As a patient of Dr.Hasson if you go for one pass (assuming 3.5K+ focusing on a region lets say frontal half, as full coverage 1pass tend to be less impressive-my opinion) yes you will most likely be ecstatic (assuming your expectations are realistic..Dr.Hasson will most likely surpass them) leaving you to contemplate naming your first born son Victor.

May your future be a hairy one!

Bayscholar

Hey Eman, good to see your progressing further into your HT journey icon_smile.gif

Anyway, my usual rule of thumb for good-great results is your NW (in this case NW4) multiplied by 1000 grafts.

However, in your case, being blonde, I think you may need as much as 500-800 grafts to equal out a 4000 graft session for the average guy with brown hair and medium curl.

This is just a guess, but I will say that you will need 15-20% more grafts than the average patient, if your hair carries the typical characteristics of most blonde men.

Given that we have an unknown entity, which is exactly what level of coverage your donor will give you, I would agree that a 3000-4000 graft session should be your first move, BUT, I will say that you need to plan for a second "refinement" session of 1000-1500 grafts, AFTER you and your Doc get a more exact idea of your coverage.

Of course, a determinent of your available donor is in order, but you need to be in the 8-9000 range in order to go as aggressive as 4000 grafts for your first shot.

Should you go to a 5 or 6 in the next 5-10 years, those 4000-5500 in the front will need need additional company in the rear!!!!!!

Anyway, I always tell everyone to plan on having 2 sessions minimum. If your happy after #1, great, but plan on 2.

This is just my opinion though......

Either way Good Luck!!!!!

Go Cubs!

6721 transplanted grafts

13,906 hairs

Performed by Dr. Ron Shapiro

Dr. Ron Shapiro and Dr. Paul Shapiro are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

hey B--

getting closer than you think. Thanks for the reply.

What if I am ademantly against having a second? So should I not bother for the first if a second is going to be needed?

I guess I just want to do this once. I can understand hair greed, but it gets hard to justify (personal reasons, not financial) a second.

I hope that you are healing well.

My initial HT thread:

Eman,

I can't add much from what has been said above...so I'll say one word: London_Lad!

And here's his link: http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/showthread.php?t=153120

Now he's an exceptional case...I wouldn't anticipate being able to get that many grafts in one pass unless you have amazing density and laxity...but it CAN be done given the right characteristics icon_wink.gif

Bill