Who is best Shapiro or Rose?

madman34

MM,

I'm from Alabama and I flew to Minneapolis to have my work done my Shapiro, whom "I" considered "the man"! I've never regreted my decision and can't imagine anyone any better. However, Dr Rose is top flight and you would be happy using him. It's perception and personal preference to a large extent when dealing with top docs. So if Rose is close to you I think I'd get a consult from him.

Hi dandare75,

You might do the scalp exercises on Joetronics site for laxity. The more laxity the more doc can remove. This is not a necessity.

I stayed at the Hampton, and they provided a very good breakfast and transportation to the office. I'm sure the other places will as well. Just arrange the night before so no hangups, and arrive at office early to do paperwork. The office is up stairs. When you get to the office you'll talk to Matt Zupan, then Shaprio comes in and draws on your head. He's very good. You next go back slip into the gown and start receiving your injections. Just remind yourself it won't last long!:-) Then Doc will give you a hair cut in the back and remove the strip. You won't feel a thing. Then the girls start seperating the strip into what doc needs, while doc is putting the slits into your head. He'll do this on and off during the process. Then Janna (she did me both times)will start putting in the grafts, it'll take around 8 hrs. You'll have a good lunch. Then you go back to the hotel. Make sure you take an ice pak and use it often to prevent swelling. I had absolutely no swelling but I iced often and long. You'll go back to Shapiro the next morning for a shampoo and look over. Then I went to the airport. My flight left out at 3:00 so I had plenty of time to relax, and spray the top of my head in the stall in the bathroom. It's a long process but really it's a piece of cake. Just know that you are in the most capable hands possible, and you'll have great results. Good Luck!

Thanks for the info guys. I'm arriving a day before the procedure to get settled in and see Dr. Shapiro and Matt. I going for a more mature hairline (never had a straight one) but I must have really good density. I recently saw some new photos on hairloss help of Dr. Shapiro's work and they were absolutely incredible. It gave me even more confidence of a really good outcome. I'm leaving early the day after surgery so I wont be going back to see Dr. Shapiro. Matt told me this shouldn't be a problem. Thanks again.

• 1 month later...

I would like to clarify the point about the evolution of approaches to density and the time frame in which it has happened

In recent years I and others have felt that good growth could reliably be achieved at 20 or so FU per sq cm and with an area often spanning about 100 sq cm.Above this number there was concern about survivability and how best to use limited donor.This past year I began trying to use more density and about 6-7 months ago I began trying ever increasing numbers per sq cm.Currently it is not unusual to use 40-50 FU per sq cm in selected areas, primarily the frontal area.

Paul T Rose, MD

I have tried to be cautious because there are no good scientific studies that demonstrate that very high densities yield reliable growth. While implanting 6000 grafts in an area might look good even if only 4500 grafts grow the fact remains that 1500 grafts did not and the donor area has been unnessarily depleted.,

Paul T. Rose, MD, JD

President ISHRS

Board of Trustees ISCLS

Dr. Paul Rose is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

Shapiro and Rose worked together for years, Both are excellent surgeons-- you can not go wrong with either. I believe Rose is slightly less expensive than Shapiro-- maybe .50 FU, not sure. If you live closer to one than the other, I would let that decide btwn these 2 as both are excellent with their work.

Personally, I am a Shapiro patient but know alot about both.

• 1 month later...

I'm a Shapiro patient also. Your experience is a clone of mine, including the names and faces. I've viewed work of most of the docs listed on this forum. Their all good. You make the esthetic choice, and go for it. We're at the point in this procedure that it works... it just works, with no surprises.

Originally posted by MDM:

Hi dandare75,

You might do the scalp exercises on Joetronics site for laxity. The more laxity the more doc can remove. This is not a necessity.

I stayed at the Hampton, and they provided a very good breakfast and transportation to the office. I'm sure the other places will as well. Just arrange the night before so no hangups, and arrive at office early to do paperwork. The office is up stairs. When you get to the office you'll talk to Matt Zupan, then Shaprio comes in and draws on your head. He's very good. You next go back slip into the gown and start receiving your injections. Just remind yourself it won't last long!:-) Then Doc will give you a hair cut in the back and remove the strip. You won't feel a thing. Then the girls start seperating the strip into what doc needs, while doc is putting the slits into your head. He'll do this on and off during the process. Then Janna (she did me both times)will start putting in the grafts, it'll take around 8 hrs. You'll have a good lunch. Then you go back to the hotel. Make sure you take an ice pak and use it often to prevent swelling. I had absolutely no swelling but I iced often and long. You'll go back to Shapiro the next morning for a shampoo and look over. Then I went to the airport. My flight left out at 3:00 so I had plenty of time to relax, and spray the top of my head in the stall in the bathroom. It's a long process but really it's a piece of cake. Just know that you are in the most capable hands possible, and you'll have great results. Good Luck!

I had mine done by Shapiro and had the opportunity to meet Dr. Rose and his patient while I was in MN (Rose goes to MN often). They both trained together and help each other during advancement techniques over the years. You could not go wrong with either. If you already live in an area with one or the other, then I would recommend saving the airfare and going to the local physician. Both have great results and take personal pride in their work but more so in their patients. Best of luck.