Post Op Question?

I'm just wondering what are the ways in which you can actually damage grafts up to 4 days post op? I know about bumping your head and sunburn. Is there any other ways that are common that damages the grafts enough so they will not grow? What about brushing your hands through your hair, sleeping on it wrong, etc? Just trying to cover my tracks here.

Cheers,

danger

I'm just wondering what are the ways in which you can actually damage grafts up to 4 days post op? I know about bumping your head and sunburn. Is there any other ways that are common that damages the grafts enough so they will not grow? What about brushing your hands through your hair, sleeping on it wrong, etc? Just trying to cover my tracks here.

Cheers,

danger

Hi Danger,

I am hardly a veteran here, but I am a post op patient of 4 months now, so I'll see if I can answer your questions.

Obviously you know about Sun, and of course, not to bump your head is a good thing, but I remember about 10 days post op I bumped my head relatively hard and was really upset and was told that there wouldn't be a problem, and now at 4 months, there is no problem. I can't imagine sleeping on it wrong would be a problem unless you sleep on the top of your head...I have yet to see that icon_wink.gif. I would NOT run your fingers through it yet, some may have different opinions on that, but I was really careful even up to 2 weeks (probably over protective), but my theory, it's better to be overprotective than underprotective after you just spent all that money. Other than that, you should be good. I also stayed away from tight fitting hats for about 3-4 weeks, although I definately wore looser hats on the second day. That's just my opinion. I would definately ask your doc for some other "post op" tips!

Bill

as Bill, stated.. No tight fitting hats!

also, with in the first 4 days..

Sleeping.. if you don't keep your head up right, you may run a chance, small be it, of increasing blood pressure to the scalp, causing popping. Though, very, very rare.

Also, same for lifting. Don't pick anything up the causes muscle tightening.

This should be applied torward the first few weeks for the donor scar as well.

No direct stream of water on your head when showering.

No hair drying for the first few weeks.

No scratching or touching.. obviously!

No hair treating or styling.. Hair gel, shampoo, etc...

Basically look at it as doing absolutley nothing, PERIOD, for those first few days.

and yes, "definately ask your doc for some other "post op" tips!'

• 6 years later...

Hello there:) I been reading a lot about people freaking out because they were picking at their scabs. I started picking at some of my scabs with my finger nails after the 12 th day of my surgery. I have done this in a gentle manner though. However Iam afraid I did some damage already to my grafts. I removed some of the crust with my nails and sometimes just the crust came off with no hairs and some other ones the crust came out with hairs. No blood or nothing just the crust and the hairs. I won't be picking at them no more, but I would like to know if I maybe damage some of my grafts by picking at them with my finger nails? Thank you

Oh another thing one time when I was sleeping I scratched my head really hard on my hairline for about 2 to 3 seconds.