Right time to do a HT?

Losing hair since early 20's, currently 26.

Used Rogaine on and off since I first noticed the hair loss, have been on a combination of Rogaine, Propecia, and Nioxin shampoo for the past year.

Loss has currently stabilized IMHO since I started to consistently apply Rogaine and Propecia, Nioxin just makes my scalp tingly. Looking at where the loss has occured, I will definitely be a NW4 (however no loss or minaturization seems to be happening at my crown area).

Currently, still have my hairline, to be honest I think I still have about 70-80% of my hair in the frontal area where the hair loss is occuring. The only problem is, is that they are all minaturized/thin (90%). I am Asian, so the density is not super high, and one doctor I have consulted mentioned that I am slightly lower than avg for an asian as far as density.

I have consulted a few doctors and the recommendation has been about ~1500 grafts. My goals are to:

1) Maintain my currently hairline

2) Thicken the frontal area where the hair loss is occuring.

3) I do not need to recreate a hairline or lower it from where it currently is, I've always had a high forhead and actually like it.

Reasons for wanting to do it:

1) I know the hair I lost will not grow back, and I know that the hair that is still there will not go from minaturized --> normal again.

2) I am not happy looking at pictures when I am in the sun or bright light and the first thing i always notice is my scalp.

3) I don't see the point of waiting till the majority of my minaturized hairs fall out and then try and recreate an artificial hairline. I feel the hair line I have now is great and will serve as a good guide (all I need a doctor to do is fill in the spaces between the current hairs!).

4) Restore my confidence/cockiness around people. No I don't want people to like me because of my looks, but I know my increased confidence will be a big plus.

5) I'm too young to be losing my hair, especially when I used to always get compliments on it. I think people forget how much of an impact having hair can have on someone, and I think its MORE important for a young adult to be fully confident in themselves at my age because my life can still at the stage where it can go anywhere. To be honest, I think by the time you reach 40-50... you're pretty much set on what you are going to do and how you feel about things.

Reasons for not wanting to do it:

1) slightly paranoid because of john36

2) Don't want a constant life of hair transplant procedures. However, if by some miracle stem cells make a breakthrough and we can grow donor hair, then I'm all for multiple transplants. I can envision myself having nightmares of all this hair in the front of my had and a bald back of my head.

Questions:

1) Right time to do it? I know i'm kinda in the grey area right now. I think i'm a good looking guy, but I think i could be better looking. I've actually gone and seen what I looked with the clipper set on zero... not my thing right now... maybe in 20-30 years, but not now.

2) Do you think 1500 grafts is enough to achieve my goals? I've been told that I would probably need another session, but should notice significant improvement with 1500...(btw, I do not want to shave my recipient area, which I think is part of the reason why 1500 was the suggested amount)

Sorry, no pics... I actually don't have a digital camera with me.

Funny thing my aunt told me is that "God only created a few perfect heads... the rest he covered up with hair." My feelings on that is that I'm practically perfect as it is now, so it would only be fair to the rest of society if I had one imperfection!

Losing hair since early 20's, currently 26.

Used Rogaine on and off since I first noticed the hair loss, have been on a combination of Rogaine, Propecia, and Nioxin shampoo for the past year.

Loss has currently stabilized IMHO since I started to consistently apply Rogaine and Propecia, Nioxin just makes my scalp tingly. Looking at where the loss has occured, I will definitely be a NW4 (however no loss or minaturization seems to be happening at my crown area).

Currently, still have my hairline, to be honest I think I still have about 70-80% of my hair in the frontal area where the hair loss is occuring. The only problem is, is that they are all minaturized/thin (90%). I am Asian, so the density is not super high, and one doctor I have consulted mentioned that I am slightly lower than avg for an asian as far as density.

I have consulted a few doctors and the recommendation has been about ~1500 grafts. My goals are to:

1) Maintain my currently hairline

2) Thicken the frontal area where the hair loss is occuring.

3) I do not need to recreate a hairline or lower it from where it currently is, I've always had a high forhead and actually like it.

Reasons for wanting to do it:

1) I know the hair I lost will not grow back, and I know that the hair that is still there will not go from minaturized --> normal again.

2) I am not happy looking at pictures when I am in the sun or bright light and the first thing i always notice is my scalp.

3) I don't see the point of waiting till the majority of my minaturized hairs fall out and then try and recreate an artificial hairline. I feel the hair line I have now is great and will serve as a good guide (all I need a doctor to do is fill in the spaces between the current hairs!).

4) Restore my confidence/cockiness around people. No I don't want people to like me because of my looks, but I know my increased confidence will be a big plus.

5) I'm too young to be losing my hair, especially when I used to always get compliments on it. I think people forget how much of an impact having hair can have on someone, and I think its MORE important for a young adult to be fully confident in themselves at my age because my life can still at the stage where it can go anywhere. To be honest, I think by the time you reach 40-50... you're pretty much set on what you are going to do and how you feel about things.

Reasons for not wanting to do it:

1) slightly paranoid because of john36

2) Don't want a constant life of hair transplant procedures. However, if by some miracle stem cells make a breakthrough and we can grow donor hair, then I'm all for multiple transplants. I can envision myself having nightmares of all this hair in the front of my had and a bald back of my head.

Questions:

1) Right time to do it? I know i'm kinda in the grey area right now. I think i'm a good looking guy, but I think i could be better looking. I've actually gone and seen what I looked with the clipper set on zero... not my thing right now... maybe in 20-30 years, but not now.

2) Do you think 1500 grafts is enough to achieve my goals? I've been told that I would probably need another session, but should notice significant improvement with 1500...(btw, I do not want to shave my recipient area, which I think is part of the reason why 1500 was the suggested amount)

Sorry, no pics... I actually don't have a digital camera with me.

Funny thing my aunt told me is that "God only created a few perfect heads... the rest he covered up with hair." My feelings on that is that I'm practically perfect as it is now, so it would only be fair to the rest of society if I had one imperfection!

Excellent evaluation of your reasons of WHY you want to have an HT. However, 1500 grafts are not worth going into surgery for "imo"...or dishing out money for. Without viewing pics and seeing where you "want" to be...it would be hard to access. However, I'd say...save your money...wait a few more years. If it's not something that weighs heavily on you right now, then I'd wait it out and see where my hairloss ends up in a few years. And regards to 'shaving' the recipient area. If it allows the doctor to paint the best possible picture on that canvass of yours...DO IT! It's a very, very, very small sacrifice...the hair grows back and the painting will be so much more exquisite. Good luck.

🙃

Thanks Bobman for your response.

It is something that has bothered me for a while, I've read the responses on why people have gotten HT in the first place I can relate to almost all of them.

I'm assuming 1500 is due to a number of factors:

1) I am asian, therefore the density is less than other ethnicities.

2) My density is not super high, therefore it might not look exactly right if I had this big clump of thickness in the front and nowhere else.

3) Due to the fact that I do not want to shave my recipient area, they are limited to how many grafts they can place. (takes longer, etc)

The reason why I do not want to shave the recipient area is simply because I do not want to shave my entire head and reveal my donor scar. My hair is pretty short right now (#3 clippers). I'm not sure if it being shorter makes it easier for the the doctors to navigate.

Money is not a HUGE issue, if I couldn't afford it then I wouldn't consider it. Lets just say I can afford to have 1500 through the strip procedure (~$7k estimated) but not the FUE procedure. I've only consulted coalition recommended docs from this forum within the LA area and trust that if they are recommended that they should be skilled enough to perform a procedure regardless if the recipient area is shaved.

Additionally, I again do not want to wait till all the hair in my frontal area is gone. At that point i'm sure I will need 4 thousand plus grafts. I think the point for many people at my stage of hairloss is to look like they are recovering their hair as naturally as possible (ie they don't want to reveal to the world that they've had a HT) while they still have hair.

I can't say much w/o pictures. I am 26 and just had a ht done. Researched about a year before I went for it. I have a similar thing, but with total loss in the forward temple areas and no loss in the crown.

Only thing I would worry about is the doc transecting your current hair follicules in the front. They may be able to tell how yours grow from the removal process.

I read on another forum where a guy asked a top clinic if he could replace his miniturized hair for transplanted hair,effectively killing the dying weak hairs with the newly implanted hair over it,not just inbetween it .The clinic said they do this if their is severe miniturization present and is appropriate to obtain a good density and result to avoid coming back lots of further times when that hair dies.I think it makes sense because the thinning hair doesnt offer any density really and its only a matter of time before it goes for good.They showed an example of a case and his result was amazing with this technique.

HT 2006/7

Mochi, I share many of the same sentiments over a HT, especially the unique value of having hair while you're young (I'm 24). From your description, I think we have similar hair situations. If you search for my pics, you can judge for yourself. From my consultations, I've received estimates from 1500 - 2000.

One thing to keep in mind about Asian hair is that while the density is lower, the follicular width tends to be thicker. I'm not sure if this offsets for the lower density, but it should be taken into account.

Another thing you might want to think about is shock loss. My HT would be lots of grafting into existing hair in my frontal area, which poses a shock loss risk that I'm concerned about.

Regarding the lifetime of HTs, I think I'd be up for another HT for the future when my age calls for it. Although one HT would be ideal (actually zero really), two would most likely be my limit. Ideally, that would be enough. You may want to realistically consider your willingness for another HT. What did your doctors say about your donor potential for future HTs? Looking at your relatives also might help in determining the extent of your future hair loss and donor need.

haha, redkun9 I think we must be related some how! Thanks for refering me to your pics.

I am in a similar situation with you, I don't believe the hair loss is so profound in the frontal area or the temples and I do not have any hair loss in the crown area. It is getting there, but not there yet.

I am also concerned about shock loss, consdering that the hair in the front is already minaturized and therefore the concern is that once lost they will be gone forever. However, I am unwilling to shave my head to reveal a donor scar.

Honestly if I was a NW2 or NW3 I don't think I would consider a HT, it is the thinnking all over the front which will eventually erase my hairline that concerns me.