Worried about my laxitivity on my 1st HT With Dr. Epstein on Thurs feb 7th

Can anyone give me any advice??? I hated the scalp exercises and I found out a little late on the scalp exercises. I only had 30 days to do the exercises and from reading others blogs on the sight it seemed alot of guys where doing them for like 6 months prior to surgery day. So I was like whats 3o days going to really do for a great donor scar,plus i hated doing it!!!! Dr. Epstein gave me a great rate for 2400 grafts if I was to fly down to Miami in February of this year (I guess this is the slow time in Ht surgeries). This is my 1st HT and now I am wondering if I should of waited a little longer to do the scalp exercises before my 1st Ht.. I do have a tight donor area and I am very concerned about the scar. I was even thinking of doing a combo with a fut and fue if this was better for a smaller scar. If any one is out there that has had the same type of situation I would love to hear from you. I also like to wear my hair short with a crew cut style and I just dont want that scar to show up.. I am leaving in the morning to Miami and I guess only the guys who read this tonight will be able to respond since I dont have a computer from my Hotel Room.

I also started the proscar and minox 2 months ago and I have noticed great results on the crown and the frontal area. Dr. Epstein is working on the frontal area and I am hoping that the crown will be full with the meds. So another reason to wait to see how the meds work. But it is 2 days till my surgery and I did send him a check for the procedure in full. If I was to cancel and wait a little longer do you think the doc would be pissed. I understand its still my money and that I would have dr. epstein hold it for 6 months until I was ready. I was even thinking going fue if the meds work really good in 6 months with no strip scar...

from my understanding the primary purpose of the scalp exercises is to allow the doctor to remove more grafts then otherwise. I think a top notch doc is not going to compromise the scar if your scalp is tight and will only remove as many grafts possible with that objective in mind.

I would be interested to see others responses as to how religious they were with their scalp exercise, as I have always wondered strictly from a max graft removal perspective, how many patients and which ones are religious with them and for what period of time...

Also, did you adress your concerns with the doc? It would be insightful to hear is explanation/reccomendation.

Since your a virgin scalp I wouldn't be excessivelly worried about the scar.

that was my understanding... Meaning, a good doc is only going to extract a strip size that is appropriate for WHATEVER laxity you have on the day of surgery WITHOUT compromising the scar.

did you call your doc and address your concerns?

Plus, your a virgin scalp, no? Not discrediting your concerns over the scar, but you are in a good position to get optimal results, because you have had no other surgeries which would have comprimised your scalp laxity PLUS have previous scarring.

Im not sure about that one. Usually, from my understanding, they require a deposit then you pay in full on surgery day because NO DOC knows the exact amount of grafts until after the surgery. A little strange...

Did you ask your doc about the scalp exercises and if it would comprimise your surgery? I would like to know his response...

djdennis,

Scalp exercises when performed long enough (a few weeks in advance ought to be enough to make some difference) may increase donor laxity which will allow a larger strip to be removed if necessary. It can also help aid with healing, preventing the donor area from feeling as tight. Of course, donor tightness is dictated by scalp elasticity verses the size of the strip removed. But for comparison, if you were going to have a 2500 graft session regardless of whether you did scalp exercises, scalp exercises may prevent the donor area from feeling as tight due to the increased elasticity. It also gives the physician added flexibility to extract a larger strip if necessary.

I hope this helps.

Bill

The laxity exercises primarily help with regard to max graft #s; though, I've heard that they can also make an appreciable difference on your scalp post-op, making the area less tight. I didn't really do them (and got 3k+ fwiw); though, if/when I get my 2nd HT I am going to give myself 3months+ to do them assiduously.

Also, I've never heard of a doc taking more ($) than what he gave you (grafts); I have, however, heard of many instances where you get more grafts than for what you paid.

I agree w/ NG2GB -- I think you are fine, so don't fret. Being a virgin scalp is a big +, and you aren't going for a max session, so I do think you will be set.

-----------

*A Follicles Dying Wish To Clinics*

1 top-down, 1 portrait, 1 side-shot, 1 hairline....4 photos. No flash.

Follicles have asked for centuries, in ten languages, as many times so as to confuse a mathematician.

Enough is enough! Give me documentation or give me death!

I sent certified funds because I told the Doc I would pay him cash and I did not want to walk on a flight with $8k cash. I thought that when the doc said 2400 grafts that was easy since I saw so many guys getting alot more megga sessions. Then I started looking up laxtivity 40 days prior to my surgery and I jumped the gun man

I think most guys don't perform scalp exercises and 2400 grafts is a relatively small # so you will be fine for the strip and for the funds as the doc will probably get more than 2400.

I think I would have just paid with a credit card when I was there for convenience. But I KNOW I would be nervous as well a few days before surgery. I would call the doc's office so they can help put you at ease with your concerns...

are you talking about for this first procedure because you are concerned over the scar?

if so, then Naaa! I wouldn't bother. I think you will be fine with just a strip. A ton of guys have gotten way more grafts from a strip and still have a fantastic scar. You should be able to buzz it down to a #3 clip without any visibility.

I wouldn't be concerned about that. Its your first procedure so the scar risks are minimal when compared to guys who have had numerous surgeries. Plus there are other reasons why you might want to go with strip here on your first procedure:

if you get hair greed/and or your expectations weren't met, then you can go in for a second strip and get another one done. Its easier with strip to get more grafts than FUE and not everyone is a good candidate for FUE.

worst case scenario, at the end of your ht journey, that your not happy with your scar you can go back in and FUE into the scar AFTER you have used up as many donors as you can via strip...

that would be my line of attack.

and I would not worry over the scar. do you EVER shave the back down to below a #3 clip anyway?

here is my other concern. The meds are going great for me and really coming in strong on my frontal area. If I was to wait maybe I could get my real hairs back in alot of areas on the front, I wish I knew more about the meds a year ago!!! Plus the doc will be placing grafts in btween alot of native hairs that could possibly grow back Great

In my opinion your making the right move going forward with the ht. Its very rare for someone to achieve good/great results from the meds on top after they have already lost most of their hair.

and in my opinion those "good/great" results I would not be happy with, without a significant # of grafts on top to compliment...

the results from meds are temporary, wherease the results from the transplant should last a life time...

I SERIOUSLY doubt that the meds could have given you a look that you would be happy with or could even "style" without a ht.

By the way the---"where its at"---for ME is the densest and best coverage I can get on top. You achieve that, then you wont even want the back/sides super short as you will be styling your mop with veangeance after not having one for so long!!!

djdennis,

In my opinion, you have nothing to worry about and you will be in great hands with Dr. Epstein.

Scalp exercises are not mandatory before a hair transplant but often times can be helpful.

Regarding your concern about shock loss. Permanent shock loss only occurs if any of the native hair follicles are transected (which from my reading and discussion with another physician, this is quite rare, especially in the best of hands) or if the native hair was on its way out anyway. Using Propecia 6 months to a year prior might help strengthen miniaturized hairs which is why this is typically recommended before going for a hair transplant.

For what it's worth however, I didn't start Propecia until 1 week after my first surgery nor did I do scalp exercises except for my third surgery.

Please express your concerns to Dr. Epstein as well and let him guide you.

Best wishes,

Bill