HT with Dr. Feller Today

KulMD

To all,

Just thought I would briefly share today's 3300 graft HT today. I will create a blog shortly once I obtain my photos.

I have previously posted my experience searching for a top notch HT surgeon. I always conduct detailed research prior to embarking on important health issues. This website provided invaluable information.

The following are my objective observations 8 hours after departing Dr Feller's office.

1. Dr. Feller - incredibly honest and straightforward. Detailed pre-surgical review and patiently answered questions from my wife and I.

2. Prep- simple and quick. Minimal pain from injection

3. He showed me the tiny blades he planned to use. I believe they were .6 and .8. I have never seen such small blades.

4. He spent several hours mapping out the incisions and was meticulous in their placement prior to graft insetion. He expected to utilize 3000 grafts for my hairline and crown.

5. His technicians/nurses were pleasant, efficient and worked well together as a team. They inserted some of the grafts with Dr. Feller and under his supervision.

He asked if he could show his work to two of his consult patients. Both traveled far to consult with him; one European and another fron the thr western US. I believe both had unsatisfactory results with their previous HT surgeons.

6. A lucky bonus - Dr. Feller informed me that he had an additional 300 grafts which he strategically placed in my crown. This was quite welcome news and I gladly accepted the newcomers. An added bonus! No extra charge for the additional 300 which is 10% of the proposed surgery. This was greatly appreciated by me and extremely thoughtful on his part.

Post op we had a nice chat and he provided some tips and best post-op practices.

We share similar views on evidence based medicine. Dr. Feller practices innovative and cutting edge surgery while at the same time does no jump on the bandwagon with all new treatment modalities entering the marketplace. Examples may be his laser comb opinion and early beliefs regarding FUE.

My wife met him early AM and when she picked me up. She is an experienced medical malpractice defense attorney and said he was a breath of fresh air in the medical profession. Although I am still pain-free. I will take his advice and pop a Vicodin ES before bedtime.

I guess if you haven't figured this out already, I really liked the guy

What a long and productive day!

No second thoughts regrets! Looking forward to the healing journey that lies ahead!

I will stay in touch!

Good to hear that all went so well. Love it--"Doc, I'd like you to meet my wife. She is a medical malpractise attorney." No wonder he paid extra special attention to details and answered all questions from you and your wife. icon_smile.gif Things will be great. Look forward to some photos.

NN

Dr.Cole,1989. ??graftcount

Dr. Ron Shapiro. Aug., 2007

Total graft count 2862

Total hairs 5495

1hairs--916

2hairs--1349

3hairs--507

4hairs--90

Dr Feller always does right by his patients thats why I went to him. Good luck with your growth icon_smile.gif

1045 FUT "hairline" with Dr Feller on Nov 05

825 "hairline" with Dr Loria "saw so so results" on Jan 01

MHR 325 "hairline" micro/mini 's 1999 "big mistake"

In 12 months you will be one happy man !!!

JOBI

1417 FUT - Dr. True

1476 FUT - Dr. True

2124 FUT - Dr. True

604 FUE - Dr. True

My views are based on my personal experiences, research and objective observations. I am not a doctor.

Total - 5621 FU's uncut!

Congrats man. Good luck with the healing/growth process.

1,614 with Dr. Pistone on 2/3/06 in Marlton, NJ.

As long as the moon shall rise

As long as the rivers flow

As long as the sun shall shine

And the grass will grow

Let me listen, I will learn to speak

The old language

Yes, I yearn to bathe in blue skies

And fall apart from the world of machines

Regain my feet and my pounding heart

My Hair Loss Weblog

Second Day: Post 3300 Feller graft Update

Still no pain. Taking Tylenol just in case.

As expected,some itching. I took a Benadryl last night and that seemed to help. The staples near the end of the incision remind me that they will be camping out for another week.

I have come to the conclusion over the years that vitamins have helped me in the healing process. Although much of this is anecdotal, I believe there is no harm attempting to jump- start the healing process.

Started:

My Favotire Multi Vitamins by Natrol - a very complete multi vitamin (6 per day)

MSM starting at 3000mg will raise to 5000

Biotin - 5mg

Vitc C - 2 grams

Zinc - start at 50 mg up to 100 mg

Omega 3 - 1 gram; finally found one that doesn't give you the burps or that fishy after taste.

Niacin 500 mg

Coenzyme Q 10 - 100 units

Vit E plenty in my multi vitamin

Of course I have made the long term commitment to taking 1.25 finasteride

Minimal edema of the forehead although it is not noticable.

In the words of Larry David; "Pretty,pretty, good!!"

Hi KullMD,

Glad to hear you're healing well. Same here. Since you're and MD I'd like to hear your opinion. I was advised not to take vitamins for 7 day pre op. Just wondering how long post op before one should start taking vitamins again? Thx

Blowdry,

You make a valid point about Omega 3s.

I have been unsuccessful in the past with the side effects of these oils. I currently use pharmaceutical grade highly distilled fish oil from the Antartic. These brands meet the high standards of Europe and Canadian regulations for pharm grade items. The US does not regulate supplements.

Anyway, I just started taking 2 Nordic Natual Ultimate Omegas w/o any side effects plus a Krill Oil which is supposedly a potent Omega 3 w/o the GI upset or after taste.

I believe the Zone also offers a pharmaceutical grade Omega.

Flyby,

First of all, I am by no means a nutritional expert.

I also followed Fr. Fellers pre-op protocol to discontinue vitamins the week befopre surgery. Many supplements can cause thinning of the blood or increased bleeding which is not optimal while operating. This is also why Rogaine is discontinued prior to surgery due to vasodialtion

I started my regimen the day after surgery. Much of the post op vitamin protocols are anecdotal but I believe as long as it can't harm you, its worth a little time and money.

I have always believed that Zinc and Vitamin C aided in healing. Vit E also has been shown to expedite the healing process. The others, I am not sure since there is less data.

Some people believe that a solid Multi Vitamin is sufficient which is why I take the 6 per day Multi from Natrol.

The best advice though is to follow your surgeons post op instructions. Dr. Feller's is pretty basic and straightforward and "knock on wood"; no pain, minimal if any swelling and mild itching.

Bill,

I am looking forward to sharing, opening and updating a hairloss blog in the next week.

Several months on this site prepared me incredibly well for the procedure and after care. Members sharing their experiences helped me set up realistic expectations and reduced anxiety.

Congrats!

JOBI

1417 FUT - Dr. True

1476 FUT - Dr. True

2124 FUT - Dr. True

604 FUE - Dr. True

My views are based on my personal experiences, research and objective observations. I am not a doctor.

Total - 5621 FU's uncut!

Just returned from Dr. Feller today, 11 days post op for staple removal. Uneventful normal post healing. Dr. Feller was quite happy with both the donor & recipient site and he took more pictures which I will share in the near future.

What a refreshing feeling to have those staples out!