Proscar Cutting Advise

Does anyone have any techniques for better cutting the 5mg Proscar into 1mg daily doses?

The tabs are sort of triangular shaped (with rounded corners),and perhaps by design, are hard to cut into 5 equal pieces.

I cut roughly into 4 pieces.

I'd like to improve economy and get closer to the 1mg "Propecia" dose.

Let me know!

Does anyone have any techniques for better cutting the 5mg Proscar into 1mg daily doses?

The tabs are sort of triangular shaped (with rounded corners),and perhaps by design, are hard to cut into 5 equal pieces.

I cut roughly into 4 pieces.

I'd like to improve economy and get closer to the 1mg "Propecia" dose.

Let me know!

Live Well

Since you take proscar doesn't your insurance cover this medication? I know mine does, which saves me a ton over what I paid out of pocket for propeica. I know of no way to cut those pills into five pieces, you're probably gonna have to settle for four pieces.

Live well,

Four separate pieces is what most split the pill into. Don't get too concerned with making sure every piece is exactly the same. The most important thing is taking it with consistency.

-Robert

------------------------------

Check out the results of my surgical hair restoration performed by Dr. Jerry Cooley by visiting my Hair Loss Weblog

• 6 months later...
  • 2 months later...
Originally posted by Forum Moderator and Satisfied Patient:

Live well,

Four separate pieces is what most split the pill into. Don't get too concerned with making sure every piece is exactly the same. The most important thing is taking it with consistency.

-Robert

what time of the day do you take it? was thinking of taking it before bed.

I take Avodart now, but when I took Finasteride, I took it right before bed. I still take Avodart at night right before bed. Data has shown that DHT levels spike at night and so it just seemed to make sense. That isn't really the sole reason that I take it before bed, but I guess that it can't hurt, either. I mostly take it before bed just so I know that I will remember to that way.

-Robert

Check out the results of my surgical hair restoration performed by Dr. Jerry Cooley by visiting my Hair Loss Weblog

• 2 weeks later...

I've just been cutting the 5mg Proscar in half and have been taking it for about 14 months (so far, good results).

They reason I only cut them in half is because I heard that the main ingredient (finasteride) may not be spread out evenly within the pill. This means that if you cut the pill in fours, you may not be getting at least a full 1mg of finasteride with every dose.

For example, if you have four pieces, they may be .75 mg, .75 mg, 1.75 mg, and 1.75 mg. I feel that by cutting the pill only in half, my chances are much better of getting at least 1 mg per dose. Any more than 1 mg per dose won't make any difference, but it's peace of mind.

Anyone hear anything like this or am I being paranoid? :-)

Its true that the Finasteride wont always be evenly spread out, but the half-life of Finasteride is long enough so that taking the Proscar pills in quarters or even fifths will be sufficient for it all working out with no detrimental effects.

-Robert

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...