A question of Timing - Request for Advice from Veterans

Guys

Here's my dilemma.

1) I am probably a NW3 with balding at the crown area and recession at the front. Recently my hair loss appears to have accelerated and I am getting sick of looking in the mirror every morning.

2) I am getting married in April 2008!

3) I can't get time off work until January 2008 but after that can take a good month off.

4) Question - should I go for the HT in January (with a coalition doc I have picked and consulted with already) or should I wait until after the wedding?

5) My dilemma is that I would really like to get a HT now but I am concerned that it may not look great for the wedding. The flip-side is that I don't have that much hair left anyway so maybe I should take the plunge?

Any thoughts??

Guys

Here's my dilemma.

1) I am probably a NW3 with balding at the crown area and recession at the front. Recently my hair loss appears to have accelerated and I am getting sick of looking in the mirror every morning.

2) I am getting married in April 2008!

3) I can't get time off work until January 2008 but after that can take a good month off.

4) Question - should I go for the HT in January (with a coalition doc I have picked and consulted with already) or should I wait until after the wedding?

5) My dilemma is that I would really like to get a HT now but I am concerned that it may not look great for the wedding. The flip-side is that I don't have that much hair left anyway so maybe I should take the plunge?

Any thoughts??

If you get a HT in Jan you should be fine in April but don't expect any improvement. Most likely you will look the same as you did prior in April.

JOBI

1417 FUT - Dr. True

1476 FUT - Dr. True

2124 FUT - Dr. True

604 FUE - Dr. True

My views are based on my personal experiences, research and objective observations. I am not a doctor.

Total - 5621 FU's uncut!

I'm with JOBI..........

purely personal choice. You'll be healed for sure and likely look about like you did before with not much difference.

I'm assuming the fiancee knows about it so I guess it doesn't matter either way. Physically/cosmetically...........I think you'll be fine! If it were me, I suppose I'd go ahead that way it'll just start growing that much quicker. icon_cool.gif

If you don't mind me asking, who's the surgeon?

Hairbank

1st HT 1-18-05 - 1200 FUT's

2nd HT 2-15-06 - 3886 FUT's Dr. Wong

3rd HT 4-24-08 - 2415 FUT's Dr. Wong

GRAND TOTAL: 7501 GRAFTS

current regimen: 1.25mg finasteride every other day

My Hair Loss Weblog

Disclaimer: I'm not a Doctor (and have never played one on TV ;) ) and have no medical training. Any information I share here is in an effort to help those who don't like hair loss.

Perfect Fit,

Two starter questions:

1. How old are you?

2. What are your hair restoration goals?

The fact that your hair loss is rapidly progressing may indicate that a hair transplant may not be a viable hair loss solution at this time. Remember that even though transplanted hair is permanent, that hair transplantation is not a hair loss cure. If you are not already on FDA approved hair loss medication such as Propecia (finasteride) and Rogaine (minoxodil), I'd recommend researching and considering it as a hair loss treatment to combat against future hair loss.

Additionally, your age and hair restoration goals will play a significant role in answering the above question. See What should I consider before undergoing hair transplantation?

You may not be a good candidate for a hair transplant in the crown at this time depending on your level of hair loss. If the area of hair loss widens, you could end up with a "halo" of skin around a patch of hair. Additionally, younger hair transplant patients have a greater chance of this as future hair loss is often more certain. See why waiting to have hair transplanted into the crown may be the best idea by clicking here.

Another thing to consider is hair transplant healing and hair growth times. If you are going to get a hair transplant in January, though the majority of your healing will take place well before April, you will be far from the end hair transplant result by April and may even have "patchy hair growth" which is common as transplanted hair begins to grow.

In my opinion, if you want to look your BEST at your wedding, wait until after the wedding to get your hair transplant surgery. Additionally, this will give the hair loss medication a chance to start working.

Best wishes,

Bill

Good one Bill

We are asssuming he is a candidate for a HT from the beginning which is a mistake. All things constant I think our advice is good but as Bill said, first we need to determine if you are a candidate for Hair transplantation

JOBI

1417 FUT - Dr. True

1476 FUT - Dr. True

2124 FUT - Dr. True

604 FUE - Dr. True

My views are based on my personal experiences, research and objective observations. I am not a doctor.

Total - 5621 FU's uncut!

Thanks for this guys.

I am 30. Have lost most of my hair in the crown area and am receeding at the front. My goals are to thicken up the front, recreate the hairline and get a bit of coverage on the crown.

Hairbank - Surgeon I'm going with is Feller.

I would ask Dr. Feller too be sure since you had a consult with him. You are in good hands.

You will be pretty well healed up and like MRJB said, you will look pretty much as you did prior to surgery.

If it were me I would go for it since you can take a month off. After marriage you may no get the chance to:

1) Get a month off for this.

2) Justify the cost to her. Finances could change? Believe me, kids, college!!!

Something to think about.

Godd luck brother,

NoBuzz