Propecia and sexual side affects?

Way2Go

I know there's a chance propecia can cause certain sexual side affects such as lowered sperm count or erectile disfunction. I was just wondering who on here has experienced this problem and did it go back to normal once you stopped taking propecia?

I'm 25(almost 26) and told my Mom that I was starting to take Propecia and today she called me freaking out and saying she doesn't want me taking it because she read about how some of the side affects are irreversible. Are the sexual side affects irreversible? Also, if I were to get any side affects from Propecia, within the time I start taking it, when would I start noticing the side affects if I were to get any?

virtually everyone on here will tell you that the side effects subside once you stop taking the drug.

I have never heard that it actually lowers sperm count; where did you hear this?

One thing that never made sense to me regarding erectile disfunction from propecia, is that ED is almost always caused by a vascularity problem, which propecia does not cause.

Is there any evidence WHAT PRECISELY causes ED from propecia in men who get it?

Is it possible it is merely a result of lack of libido?

I am going away for a weekend with the girlfriend

3 days of just the two of us - lots planned

I started propecia 2 weeks ago - I will update you with my personal experience (with no finer details of course - haha)

but judging the way things are shaping up (no pun intended), I am not too worried lol

• Moderators

What I do when I have definite plans like that is not take any the day before and for at least the first day I'm with the girl. If the trip is longer than that then take half doses every other day. Doing that doesn't effect my hair (propecia stays in your system for 2 to 3 days) and I don't worry about erection problems.

I have to say that's been one good thing about having a girlfriend who lives 500 miles away. I always know when I'll be with her, so I can plan my dosage easily. It's a lot tougher while seeing girls in between icon_wink.gif

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.

I think some really worry too much about the side effects. If you let your mind get the best of you, you are history.

JOBI

1417 FUT - Dr. True

1476 FUT - Dr. True

2124 FUT - Dr. True

604 FUE - Dr. True

My views are based on my personal experiences, research and objective observations. I am not a doctor.

Total - 5621 FU's uncut!