Working Out Accelerates Hair loss??

Working out, especially with heavy weights, will increase your testosterone levels. So the natural assumption would be that increased testosterone levels = increased DHT production = more hair loss. I personally have been a big fan of whey protein supplements, glutamine, and creatine to boost my gains in the gym. My parents always warned me against taking these saying it was "unnatural" and would have consequences in the long run, and now I'm wondering if they might have been right after all. I've had a protein shake(30 grams whey protein) and maybe 5 grams of glutamine maybe 3-5 times a week for the past 4-5 years. This is very coincident with the time that my hairline started to gradually recede.

Having a receding hairline and losing my hair at 24 sucks, especially because nobody in my immediate family is bald. I'm starting to wonder now whether my dedication to weight training and diet actually hastened the hair loss process. For now, I am discontinuing all forms of supplements including protein drinks and glutamine. Doing this will obviously cut my gains in the gym, but as long as I can save my hair for now I don't care what it takes. What is your opinion on this???

Hi

There is no correlation between working out and hairloss.In fact, one might say a healthy lifestyle would optimize your hair growth due to good health and circulation. However, if one is taking supplements which increase your Testosorone levels, it might speed up your hairloss. Male pattern baldness is genetic and items such as hats,exercise,and things we do will not cause it.. It's somthing we inherited . ( lucky us). Obviously, it may skip a generation or two as my dad is not bald.. It's just genetics

good luck

JOBI

1417 FUT - Dr. True

1476 FUT - Dr. True

2124 FUT - Dr. True

604 FUE - Dr. True

My views are based on my personal experiences, research and objective observations. I am not a doctor.

Total - 5621 FU's uncut!

My parents also warned me about this when I took protein and creatin when I was 18, and after some weeks of creatin I started to loose hair, but I stopped eating it immediatly but that didnt help. So if it was because of that I realy do not know =/

ok from what I understand, steroids are known to affect the hormone levels and has been known to accelerate hairloss and make people susceptible to hairloss who otherwise would never have been affected. Creatine is also another supplement that has been linked to hairloss. I doubt any other supplements like protein, nutrients etc will have any effect. Either way just to be sure im not taking creatine anymore.

I don't think there is a direct known link between working out naturally and hairloss. It would be good to get some professional advice on this though.

1344 grafts with Ron Shapiro - June 2006

Hi all

Trust me ,.. Genetics, genetics, genetics..People will look to any "outside" reason why they are losing their hair. Remember when we first started losing ours?? Is it the hat? The new shampoo? My imagination??. Nope, genetics! Better to look for a solution than waste time on an imaginary cause. Obviously, steroids are a bit different but they only speed up the process.Remember, it's the body's repsonse to DHT which affects our hairloss.

JOBI

1417 FUT - Dr. True

1476 FUT - Dr. True

2124 FUT - Dr. True

604 FUE - Dr. True

My views are based on my personal experiences, research and objective observations. I am not a doctor.

Total - 5621 FU's uncut!

My buddy takes all sorts of things to build muscles (protein, creatine and lot of other crazy stuff). He's been doing it for like past 5 years, and his hair is as good as it gets. On the other hand, when I started taking it I think started losing hair. I am not sure if these body building products caused my hair to thin, or it was genetic disorder that caused it since my dad and all males in his family lost hair in 20s.

My beliefe is, if you don't have MPB in your genes, then nothing like supplements, work out, stress, diet will affect your hair. But if you have MPB in your genes, everything(stress, diet, supplements, sleep) will cause you to accelerate your hairloss.

KG

What about a testosterone booster, rather than the illegal steroids?

1,614 with Dr. Pistone on 2/3/06 in Marlton, NJ.

As long as the moon shall rise

As long as the rivers flow

As long as the sun shall shine

And the grass will grow

Let me listen, I will learn to speak

The old language

Yes, I yearn to bathe in blue skies

And fall apart from the world of machines

Regain my feet and my pounding heart

My Hair Loss Weblog

Originally posted by Mrjb:

Hi all

Trust me ,.. Genetics, genetics, genetics..People will look to any "outside" reason why they are losing their hair. Remember, it's the body's repsonse to DHT which affects our hairloss.

I agree with this statement. It's why some people with horrible lifestyles, diets, etc. have great hair. It's why some of the most healthy and athletic people in the world are bald.

If you're dealt a crappy hand in the hair department, all you can do is whatever makes you happy (HT, shave, or do nothing)

Diet and your environment also comes into play. For instance it is known that many chinese immigrants who would not otherwise be susceptible to MPB start to develop MPB when they immigrate over to western countries like the US. It appears that a high fat diet can also contribute to hairloss.

But its also true that there are some people like Elvis that can take drugs, smoke, etc and still end up with a teenage hairline!

It kind of sucks that I see plenty of morbidly obese people with a full head of hair. It seems like a waste of good genes to me icon_smile.gif

Genetics is definately the basis but there are also other outside contributing factors that will affect the extent of your hairloss. I would definately stay away from anything that effects hormone levels like steroids - except for drugs that reduce DHT of course icon_smile.gif

1344 grafts with Ron Shapiro - June 2006