what is xandrox? Is it better than minoxidal?

mrkneed

Xandrox is minoxidil (5 to 15%) with Azelaic Acid 5%. Azelaic Acid is supposed to decrease DHT on your scalp (to provide simultaneous inhibition of DHT as well as stimulation to hair growth). I use xandrox 5% but I can not tell you if it is really better than minoxidil 5% alone. I think difference is reduced.

Xandrox is a combination of 5% minoxodil and 5% Azelaic Acid.

The Azelaic Acid is said to be a potent inhibitor of 5-Alpha-Reductase in human skin.

DHT is formed from the combination of testosterone and 5-Alpha-reductase enzymes in the body.

The theory therefore is that if there is less of the enzyme 5-Alpha-Reductase in the body, less DHT will be created.

In theory, this sounds good. I have not read any reviews on the product nor do I know of its efficacy. I do know that Azelaic Acid is not FDA approved for hair loss.

Best wishes,

Bill

mrkneed,

I tried minoxodil for awhile when I first started losing my hair. It worked for awhile but I foolishly stopped. Upon starting it up again, minoxodil was severely irritating my scalp. I went to 2% minoxodil but it didn't do anything for me but leave my head a watery greasy mess.

I think Xandrox sounds good in theory - but I haven't done enough research on it yet to know if the Azelaic Acid really does anything to contribute to its efficacy. I did some reading on it and according to what I saw, it has been said that Azelaic Acid doesn't do much by itself but adding minoxodil increases its ability. But increasing the ability of "doesn't do much" by using minoxodil doesn't give me a lot of comfort.

But my native hair has been far gone for awhile. I think using any hair restoration products other than Propecia (which is helping me keep the area of hair below my crown) is fruitless, not to mention the scalp irritation and messy regime of minoxodil or Xandrox.

Bill

I found it interesting that a part of the label of Xandrox says, "As a rule, patients should not initiate topical minoxidil treatment for MPB with Xandrox15. "

That's a direct quote from the site that sells it. It does also go on to say that if regular minoxidil doesn't work, you should consider Xandrox.