Finasteride - should I try more?

Hi, all - I have been on Propecia for a bit over a year. It appears to have slowed, but not entirely halted, my hair loss. I have noticed no side effects of any kind (except perhaps slightly increased libido, but then, what's infinity plus 1?...).

Would you recommend trying a somewhat larger dose? I weigh a fair amount (240 lbs.), and wonder if that alone means I should have a somewhat larger dose. I have read the posts about Proscor, and it sounds like it might be a good bet to get some of that and try a larger dose. What would be reasonable to start with - 1.5 mg/day? More? Less? Also, I take it that to order Proscor from on-line distributors, one does not need a prescription? I would also be willing to try different routes, if someone would point me in the right direction.

Thanks,

Jamie

LU2.DUB.SAR

Hi, all - I have been on Propecia for a bit over a year. It appears to have slowed, but not entirely halted, my hair loss. I have noticed no side effects of any kind (except perhaps slightly increased libido, but then, what's infinity plus 1?...).

Would you recommend trying a somewhat larger dose? I weigh a fair amount (240 lbs.), and wonder if that alone means I should have a somewhat larger dose. I have read the posts about Proscor, and it sounds like it might be a good bet to get some of that and try a larger dose. What would be reasonable to start with - 1.5 mg/day? More? Less? Also, I take it that to order Proscor from on-line distributors, one does not need a prescription? I would also be willing to try different routes, if someone would point me in the right direction.

Thanks,

Jamie

LU2.DUB.SAR

I spoke to my doctor and he indicated that taking twice as much propecia meant increased side effects but only if you experienced side effects on the single dose. With that, I have been taking 2 propecia per day for about a month now (it really helps that it is covered by my prescription plan). I experienced some shedding at first but no other side effects. It seems to be helping but it is really too soon to tell. I suggest you talk to your doctor. Good luck.

This was a question I was also wanting answered because I heard that increasing the dosage made little difference in the amount of DHT in the body. It seems to me that more finasteride would help, but Merck said 2.5 and 5mg yielded nearly identical results. I've been taking the 1mg like everyone else and seeing results. I guess if it wasn't working I'd try upping the dosage. Does it help?

DaveOH:

Increasing your dosage with Proscar has diminishing returns. What I mean, is you'll probably get better/more DHT blockage, but the percentage increase doesn't justify the extra cost or whatever else.

I'm sure 5mg is a little more effective than 1mg, but not so much so to justify paying more.

You want a big difference potentially, switch to Avodart.

none brings up a good point that I've been contemplating. I don't seem to have the Propecia side effects, so maybe Avodart is worth a shot. But it is pricey and we know about the long half-life issue.

I guess a bird in the hand is worth something if Propecia is working.

vocor1

Knowledge is Power

If the worst question is the one never asked, then the worst answer is the one never shared.