Hello From Belmont, NC

Howdy. I stumbled across this little piece of the internet on a slow day at work. I'm outside of Charlotte, NC and am going to do the deed. I've been losing my hair since I was 25 (just turned 45). I found out while getting a haircut to ready myself for a job interview. The stylist said, "You need shampoo for thinning hair. You'll be bald in another ten years." Way to kill your tip. I'm stripmined down the middle of my head. Seen some fine work here. I'm trying to set up a visit with Dr. Cooley. Looks like it'll happen in a couple of weeks. I seem to recall some folks here have been to him. Well, that's all for now. I look forward to our conversation as I get my hair back just in time for it to go grey.

Howdy. I stumbled across this little piece of the internet on a slow day at work. I'm outside of Charlotte, NC and am going to do the deed. I've been losing my hair since I was 25 (just turned 45). I found out while getting a haircut to ready myself for a job interview. The stylist said, "You need shampoo for thinning hair. You'll be bald in another ten years." Way to kill your tip. I'm stripmined down the middle of my head. Seen some fine work here. I'm trying to set up a visit with Dr. Cooley. Looks like it'll happen in a couple of weeks. I seem to recall some folks here have been to him. Well, that's all for now. I look forward to our conversation as I get my hair back just in time for it to go grey.

Warren,

Welcome to our community.

Dr. Cooley is an excellent doctor. I'm sure he'll treat you well.

By the way...there is no shampoo that will help you regrow any hair....however, Nizoral shampoo is the ONLY one that might help remove surface DHT. Consider combining that with finasteride and minoxodil which are the only two FDA approved medications for safety and efficacy for hair loss. This becomes an EXTREMELY important regime if you are still losing hair.

I hope this helps.

Bill

Welcome,

Dr. Cooley does excellent work so you'll be in good hands.

Bill made a good point..........no shampoo regrows hair but it is good to use a good quality shampoo/conditioner for the health of your scalp and hair.

Hairbank

1st HT 1-18-05 - 1200 FUT's

2nd HT 2-15-06 - 3886 FUT's Dr. Wong

3rd HT 4-24-08 - 2415 FUT's Dr. Wong

GRAND TOTAL: 7501 GRAFTS

current regimen: 1.25mg finasteride every other day

My Hair Loss Weblog

Disclaimer: I'm not a Doctor (and have never played one on TV ;) ) and have no medical training. Any information I share here is in an effort to help those who don't like hair loss.

Originally posted by Warren:

I look forward to our conversation as I get my hair back just in time for it to go grey.

Warren, the hairs that are transplanted never go gray. Okay, I'm kidding about that, but most men tend to go gray at the sides, and not so much in their back donor area. It'll take longer for those hairs to turn gray. I may be way off base, but it's what I've noticed.

Best of luck to you at Dr. Cooley's clinic. He's a very nice guy, and his staff is exceptional as well. Please say "Hi" to Eileen and Brandi.

Hello Warren,

I was Dr Cooley's first patient this year (also my first HT on January 3rd).

It was an incredible experience for me and a decision that I have not regretted at all. The surgery itself was impressive (look at my pre & post op photos from the weblog I created on this site)...it was extremely clean and well done and healed very nicely and rapidly, and my progress to date has been right on track with just about everyone else I have seen posting on this site.

I would not hesitate to recommend Dr. Cooley, or any other physician recommended by the "Coalition of Surgeons for Ultra Fine Results".

I wish you all the best and hope you'll continue posting here and sharing your results!

2967 Total Grafts w/ Dr. Cooley on 1/3/07 [1st HT]

Hair Count = 5,427

My Hair Loss Weblog

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Warren,

I got a kick out of your comment about "restoring your hair just in time to see it go gray" I meant to respond after your first post.

Although I started balding in my teens my hair (both native and transplanted) has for the most part stayed it's natural dark brown. Now in my early 40's I'm just beginning to get a little graying through the sides and temples. At this stage in life it doesn't bother me at all. The same can't be said though about the early MPB.

Funny how it seems like so many men who go completely gray or even white at relatively young ages retain gorgeous heads of hair. For those of us in Florida, an example of this is our current governor.

Phil

I used to have a minister who said, "Well, it can turn grey or it can turn loose!" So, I guess I owe him a quarter for doing a variation on his joke!

Thanks for the help, and the site. I've read a lot and talked with a couple of guys. I feel pretty good about Dr C. I'll know more about 3:00 on Thursday.

Well, I had a consult with Aliene yesterday. Everything went quite well. I had a nice, positive feeling about the office and everyone there. The vibe was good. Either that, or they're such damn good actors they should all get the HT equal to the Tony Award.

Anyway, I'm scheduled for September 5th. A little more than a month before I go on vacation. September and October are shaping up to be big months. I see an over-looked band from my youth (Crowded House), get a HT, and vacation with friends in London and Paris. Sometimes life works in my favor.

I'm going to take the Propecia and look for some shampoos...as opposed to real poos. HA! I kill me.

Sorry, just in a good mood for once.

My Stylist sent me off too. I look 10 times worse after two surgeries and want to give him the ballbat.

Do you think this is going to prevent you fom going bald?

Sorry to be a killjoy but I was walking 10 feet off the groud before my miracle surgery and a forklift couldn't lift nme up after.

Remember this is a BUSINESS that caters to your fears and needs. Not one that fulfulls either and in most cases makes you far worse off to say the least.

Think twice cut once.

So Eileen is your buddy?

Is she working in a freaking hairtransplant clinic? What did you expect "GO Away" " I lLove you hairloss guy".

A hair on the head is worth two on the brush.

I don't work for commision.. I bust e'm for free. Thank me later.

Aq-

Man, I'm picking up some bad vibes from you, my friend. For some reason I can't view your Youtube link so fill me in, what gives?

HT's aren't for everyone, I'll grant you that. For one, I can't tell you how thrilled I've been with my results from my first 2 HT's. Yes, I'm going back for a 3rd for more density and because I can spare the grafts and just want a little more............if I stopped now, I'm still glad I did it. I went from NW 4 or 5 to a slightly thinning crown and a little temple rescission........huge difference and definitely made me feel better about how I look which is what this is all about anyway.

Your advice is welcome here, just try not to be one-sided...........some people have gotten great results with HT's and been thrilled. There may be some who wish they hadn't done it but from what I read they are in the minority as long as the did their homework and chose a quality surgeon.

Hairbank

My Hair Loss Weblog

Disclaimer: I'm not a Doctor (and have never played one on TV ;) ) and have no medical training. Any information I share here is in an effort to help those who don't like hair loss.

Hairbank-

Well spoken.I thought I was doing the right thing and the doctor had credentials up the yang. Unfortunately I had only done a few months of research and they lied about everything. Oh well.I had way too much hair to do it in the first place (the tech said so).Perhaps that's why I'm here.

Man you would love that you tube link. It's not working?

Aq-

Sorry to hear about your experience...............sounds like you jumped in the chair too soon.

Not sure about the Youtube thing...........I checked my PC security and it should be allowed but I'm probably not as PC saavy as I use to be. I'll keep trying.

Hairbank

My Hair Loss Weblog

Hair -

It's from the musical HAIR.

I tried my link and it worked.

Perhaps if you goto youtube and search hair aquarius you will reach it.

there are other links there too.

Thanks for the condolace.. I have second sight on this procedure unfortunately. It was only 3 years ago.I have aged x 10.

If I seem like an SOB it's for good reason.

Better safe than sorry I guess.

I like to scare the nickers off of people haha.

Thanks HB.

Aq-

With your history you can help many and make sure they do the necessary research to do it right. Especially those frequenting the boards who are younger with not much loss but really want their 17 year old hairline again.

Careful, though, these boards are very powerful..........what you post effects many, many people so be sure you want to stand behind it.

We had a poster here a couple of years back that was anti-HT due to being butchered (I won't mention the name, long-timers will know who I mean)..........he did much more harm than good.

Use your negative experience to educate those who may be thinking of an HT too soon, or with a less-than-excellent Doc.

Can't get the video but I'll keep trying, my friend! icon_wink.gif

Hairbank

My Hair Loss Weblog

You know, I only found this place a few weeks ago. Until then, I had been researching on my own. For several years now. I swear to Xenu, you can't say anything on a freakin' internet messge board unless someone gets all keyboard commando on you. I rejected the Bosleys, the MHRs and decided to go with the local boy. I spoke with several of his past patients, and feel fine about my decision.

As one of my favorite premature balding comic strip characters says, "Good grief."

Not sure I totally understand your post, Warren, but Dr. Cooley will do you proud. He's one of the best. Best of luck to you.

Hairbank

My Hair Loss Weblog

Cooley's practice is not all that local, due to his quality and reputation, he has clients fly in from all over. I came from Florida, and I know of others as far away as California.

I am very pleased and did not go through the horror show warned of by Aquarius. I did not find Ailene or anyone at Cooley's office to push me to do the procedure. Frankly, I got the impression that they were plenty busy.

Hey Warren,

Congratulations on your decision. Speaking as a recent patient of Dr Cooley, I can say with confidence that you will be in good hands. His surgical team is every bit as dedicated as he is and I am sure you'll have a very positive experience.

I look forward to hearing from you in September!

2967 Total Grafts w/ Dr. Cooley on 1/3/07 [1st HT]

Hair Count = 5,427

My Hair Loss Weblog

I was pointing out Aq's rant and how unfair I thought it was, indeed.

Yes, Dr. C may have people from everywhere, but he is local to me. Only a 20 minute drive.

I did spend a few years being pitched and closed by different businesses. I knew what to expect, and how many FUs were going to be needed to get what I want. I simply picked them based on the conversations I had with a few folks here and my own research.

Did I over-react? Maybe. But, trolls are everywhere. And Aq may not be one, but also, you can't tell tone on a message board. I can only read what is typed, and he was extremely dismissive of any good thing I mentioned.

Sometimes it is better not to say anything at all but I feel compelled to address this issue. I am not offended by the comments but feel that I should explain my mission. I believe this site is such an asset for anyone exploring their options and all opinions are valued.

I am employed by Dr.Jerry Cooley but I am not a consultant. I am his personal assistant and I have a backround in nursing. My job is not to convince anyone to have a hair transplant surgery. My job is to educate and make certain they have all the information I can give them to make an informed decision. I am not paid a commission and I truly care about my patients. I don't always tell them what they want to hear. First and formost is the key fact in all of this, a transplant does nothing to stop hair loss. That is why it is essential that all options both medical and surgical are explored.

I am sorry that your experience was not a positive one. I know many reputable surgeons who "fix" or "repair" substandard or older work. You can explore this through the ISHRS site or here just doing a search.

I challenge you to call and make an appointment with me for a consultation. I do not know who you are so there is not anyway I can make a connection. You can even chose to do this via email or phone. After this conversation I would truly like you to post your experience. I never try to sway you toward surgery. In some instances I sound like a broken record because I stress the downside of this surgery. As Hairbank already said, this is not the right decision for everyone. One of Dr. Cooley's phrases that I borrow is, "a transplant can be one of two things, the best or the worst decision of your life". "The good thing about a transplant is it is permanent, the bad thing is it is permanent."

I am currently serving as the Chair for the ISHRS Assistants Program. Many, physicians, assistants, consultants as well as patients know me. My objective is not to sway someone to do surgery. My obective is to help them understand the process, obligation to medical treatment and a realistic overview of what having a transplant using the techniques we use means.

Warm Regards,

Ailene Russell, NCMA

Ailene Russell, NCMA

Dr. Jerry Cooley's personal assistant and clinical supervisor for Carolina Dermatology Haircenter. My postings are my own opinion and may not reflect Dr. Cooley's opinion on any subject discussed.

Dr. Jerry Cooley is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians