Numb scalp after 7 months - cause for concern?

I just wanted to check in with everyone and find out how long their scalps were numb after their HT. In early June it will be 7 months since I had my HT and I have slowly regained sensation in my scalp. However, the back of my head from the scar up to crown is still feeling numb. Interestingly, their is less numbness along the sides of my head.

I mentioned this to my doc at our 6 month appointment and he said that though it was uncommon, sometimes it just took longer for the severed nerves to reconnect.

I was curious if any of you had had a similar problem and if so, when did you finally regain full sensation in your scalp.

Thanks - FS

I just wanted to check in with everyone and find out how long their scalps were numb after their HT. In early June it will be 7 months since I had my HT and I have slowly regained sensation in my scalp. However, the back of my head from the scar up to crown is still feeling numb. Interestingly, their is less numbness along the sides of my head.

I mentioned this to my doc at our 6 month appointment and he said that though it was uncommon, sometimes it just took longer for the severed nerves to reconnect.

I was curious if any of you had had a similar problem and if so, when did you finally regain full sensation in your scalp.

Thanks - FS

FS-

You may have seen some of my earlier post,but incase you have not,I'm 2 months post HT with Dr.True. 1500 fu's and thining of earlier punch graft "work". I had the punch graft work done in 89/90.That's 15 years ago,and I have always had some degree of numbness in my scalp.Last year,I bumped my head on metal,causing a bleeding gash,and did not feel it.Perhaps someone can comment if the earlier methods damaged the nerves to a greater degree than the new methods...

HK...

Mine was numb about that long, and slowly came back. I have other surgeries (not HT's) where I never regained sensation. Knees, shoulders, etc. Just give it some time till about a year

FS,

My third strip procedure in 2002 had the donor strip "ear-to-ear". That area and just above it took about one year to re-gain complete feeling.

My recipient area took more like six to eight months to regain complete feeling. You should experience improvement in the coming months. icon_wink.gif

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

This is normal some times, I had a procedure with a numb scalp for almost a year, then everything came back-- the nerves have to regrow and sometimes take longer to regenerate than others-- even on the same patient with different procedures.

tkotko -

Your "unthawed" comment made me realize that the numbness is similar to the sensation that you get when you put something frozen against your skin. I've been trying to describe the sensation to my wife and numbness wasn't really the right word. Besides, how many of us want to admit to having a "numb skull"?!? Sorry - it's late . . .

Excellent word - thanks.

FS