Cases per day

Can i have some views please on the amount of cases a surgeon takes on per day.Do all the top surgeons perform only one surgery per day.Can anyone tell me the top surgeons who perform more than one case a day.Is it silly to think your surgeon should only concentrate on you for the whole day.

Can i have some views please on the amount of cases a surgeon takes on per day.Do all the top surgeons perform only one surgery per day.Can anyone tell me the top surgeons who perform more than one case a day.Is it silly to think your surgeon should only concentrate on you for the whole day.

I think it is acceptable for Dr.'s to perform more than one surgery in a day as long as they keep within certain limits.

My procedure last Tuesday (1400 grafts) started at 8 a.m and ended around 12:30 p.m. I felt as though I received maximum attention and detail throughout the entire procedure. There were atleast 6 techs and the Doctor giving me their full attention. Later in the day after some rest my Doctor performed a FUE of around 200 grafts. I can't imagine it took him more than a couple of hours

Can't really see any harm as long as there not trying to outperform their abilities.

Now my previous procedure with a different Doctor...

I was told when I scheduled that I should come in at around 11 a.m. I was called in the morning on the day of surgery and told that they would call me when they were ready for me (they were obviously performing another procedure). I waited and waited and waited. 2 P.M. they called and told me to come over. The procedure lasted until 8 p.m at night. I can pretty much gaurantee you the Doctor worked about 12 hours straight. Guess I shouldn't have been surprised that the results were less than optimal icon_smile.gif

Most clinics only perform one surgery per day.

Now, to answer your last question, I do not think it is at all "silly" to expect your surgeon to focus all of his energy on you for a full day. By almost everyone's standards, hair transplantation is an extremely expensive procedure. If I am going to shell out thousands of dollars for a days work, you better believe that I fully expect the doctor to dedicate himself to me completely the day of surgery, as well as be available for any follow up care, questions, and concerns I may need addressed in the future.

You should never feel bad about expecting nothing but the best from your surgeon, and fortunately for you, a cursory glance at this forum shows that a number of the recommended physicians share that sentiment and provide top notch care before, during, and after the surgery.

Originally posted by Volvic:

Is it silly to think your surgeon should only concentrate on you for the whole day.

My opinion: absolutely not.

The unique nature of this procedure requires consistent attention to detail over a prolonged period. As a surgeon it is my personal belief that to create an environment that would accommodate more than one procedure per day would be counterproductive to maintaining quality control on the individual patient.

One patient, one team, one procedure. Single point of focus, consistent results.

IMHO.

Timothy Carman, MD ABHRS

President, (ABHRS)
ABHRS Board of Directors