Are medications required post-op

Howdy all. I'm potentially interested in a hair transplant. This may sound odd but while I don't mind paying 6-10K on an operation or two, I'm too lazy to go to go thru life using products like rogaine or propecia.

Is using a hair product like rogaine or propecia typical or necessary for people who have already had a transplant? Thanks a lot for your help!

Howdy all. I'm potentially interested in a hair transplant. This may sound odd but while I don't mind paying 6-10K on an operation or two, I'm too lazy to go to go thru life using products like rogaine or propecia.

Is using a hair product like rogaine or propecia typical or necessary for people who have already had a transplant? Thanks a lot for your help!

First, I would strongly recommend trying propecia; but if you are too lazy to pop a miniscule pill once a day.....well, I could totally understand as I am very lazy too about various things. But could you at least consider using a shampoo like Revita!? icon_wink.gif

Is it typical to use propecia/rogaine(foam 5%)? Yes, very. Is it necessary? No. Is it adviseable? Absolutely.

Treatments may very well give you regrowth, particularly in the crown; which, in turn, may very well alter your desire and/or plans for a given HT. Also, donor supply is really the name of the game -- aside from choosing an elite clinic. In order to give yourself the best shot of getting the best restoration you need to have the most minimal loss; the way to get the most minimal loss for the longest period of time is by being on the proven treatmens.

-----------

*A Follicles Dying Wish To Clinics*

1 top-down, 1 portrait, 1 side-shot, 1 hairline....4 photos. No flash.

Follicles have asked for centuries, in ten languages, as many times so as to confuse a mathematician.

Enough is enough! Give me documentation or give me death!

I do agree, Minoxidil is a pain in the butt. It is a little messy and can make it difficult to style your hair in some cases (I never used it) Propecia is quite easy, one pill a day.

If you are going to invest in a HT you might want to consider getting on it pre-HT for 1 year. This stabilizes (hopefully) hairloss so your cosmetic results LAST. What good is a HT if you keep losing hair??

JOBI

1417 FUT - Dr. True

1476 FUT - Dr. True

2124 FUT - Dr. True

604 FUE - Dr. True

My views are based on my personal experiences, research and objective observations. I am not a doctor.

Total - 5621 FU's uncut!

Correct; though, especially when combined, there is very strong anecdotal evidence that they can help the frontal region, and this is widely beleived; at the same time, like mentioned, it is important to try to stabalize your crown so you don't have to use up precious donor on that region.

-----------

Follicles have asked for centuries, in ten languages, as many times so as to confuse a mathematician.

Mike,

Welcome to our discussion forum.

Great advice as usual from our veteran members.

I don't think I heard anyone say this yet, so I'll add this to the discussion.

Propecia and/or Rogaine are NOT required to maintain hair that has been transplanted. This hair is permanent.

Propecia and Rogaine however, are helpful aids to a hair transplant in order to help combat any future hair loss, keeping your existing natural hair. After all, hair loss is progressive, and hair transplantation does nothing to stop hair loss from progressing whereas hair loss medication can.

I just wanted you to understand the difference.

Best wishes,

Bill

Medications that aid in stopping or slowing hair loss progression are definately not require. It's an individual decision. One particular patient of Dr. Paul was dead set against getting on meds before or after surgery. He still has phenomenal results even at 4 months post op.

Kul,

If/when I start the foam post-op I personally intend on using it indefinitely; from what I understand it can help accelerate growth, but my primary aim is in using it as a defensive line for my vertex/crown, which I want to do everything in my power to safeguard.

-----------

Kul,

We have recommended our patients to get on rogaine for 2 months post op to "jump start" the growth, however, I believe we are going to be changing our instructions to what Thana plans on doing for the very reasons he mentioned. We verbally recommend getting on rogaine permenantly (with propecia), but we have not changed it on our post op instructions form.