2nd ht

2nd HT

Here are before and after pics from a 2200 graft HT in Feb 2006. This was my second HT. I previously had a 2200 graft HT in Nov 2004. My first HT was great. So, I decided to have a 2nd HT for more density and some filling in. Unfortunately, I think it was a disaster. I must say I am very disappointed. I went in for more density and to fill in, as well as to improve my hairlines. Those were almost my exact words. The doctor suggested I go very dense on the top, from front to back. (Picture a mohawk). In hindsight, I think this was a big mistake. Check out before and after (1 year photos) of my second HT and tell me what you think. Notice my temple/side areas remain thin while directly on top is dense. I have the pitched roof look on top. I am tired of wetting my hair down all day. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

9241044403_E6F66868426A8645507A622D0158EDDA.jpg.thumb 8341044403_D0BB4637AF82795DF984804F158F812D.jpg.thumb 7341044403_48EBA6F64FE7323899AF63BE59C0A122.jpg.thumb 6341044403_16DFEE57A905BE524FAEE31C440D5AF4.jpg.thumb 5341044403_0DB02F7AE38C25642B613744F24A9E74.jpg.thumb 4341044403_1363ACB238C81DD2E6045CE2A12F7F23.jpg.thumb 3341044403_2375AC2E92093E5878D5A684E52A8877.jpg.thumb 2341044403_37DB3B98E1316B192A97D39B6EB0ABCE.jpg.thumb 1341044403_59568FB07E29B41EBDC422297CD38739.jpg.thumb

Here are before and after pics from a 2200 graft HT in Feb 2006. This was my second HT. I previously had a 2200 graft HT in Nov 2004. My first HT was great. So, I decided to have a 2nd HT for more density and some filling in. Unfortunately, I think it was a disaster. I must say I am very disappointed. I went in for more density and to fill in, as well as to improve my hairlines. Those were almost my exact words. The doctor suggested I go very dense on the top, from front to back. (Picture a mohawk). In hindsight, I think this was a big mistake. Check out before and after (1 year photos) of my second HT and tell me what you think. Notice my temple/side areas remain thin while directly on top is dense. I have the pitched roof look on top. I am tired of wetting my hair down all day. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

9241044403_E6F66868426A8645507A622D0158EDDA.jpg.thumb 8341044403_D0BB4637AF82795DF984804F158F812D.jpg.thumb 7341044403_48EBA6F64FE7323899AF63BE59C0A122.jpg.thumb 6341044403_16DFEE57A905BE524FAEE31C440D5AF4.jpg.thumb 5341044403_0DB02F7AE38C25642B613744F24A9E74.jpg.thumb 4341044403_1363ACB238C81DD2E6045CE2A12F7F23.jpg.thumb 3341044403_2375AC2E92093E5878D5A684E52A8877.jpg.thumb 2341044403_37DB3B98E1316B192A97D39B6EB0ABCE.jpg.thumb 1341044403_59568FB07E29B41EBDC422297CD38739.jpg.thumb

Hello 2nd HT,

Could you give us more background?

Your age? Who were your doc's? on finasteride?

It is hard to say what may have happened, maybe you had some native hair loss during the time between HT's and ended up with no net gain. Not sure, this is where the fin could have helped if you are not on it.

Your hair style makes it hard to see thru to the hairline but is does look very natural.

NoBuzz

Nobuzz asked good questions. Can you give us this info?

Are you saying he planted like a mohawk: thick down the middle and in the hairline? This is where you were short after HT1. If so then I agree with you. This would indicate it's not continued loss due to no meds, but simple no growth of HT2, IMO. Your HT1 and HT2 pics look identical.

I am on propecia 1 MG. I know I did not have hair loss after HT #2. I actually gad minimal shock loss and substanital hair growth from the HT. There actually is a considerable difference after HT#2, but it is all on top. So I ended up with density directly on top and continued thinness in the side/temple areas. The thin side areas combined with my bald spot in back make the density on top look strange. Note the frontal shot after HT #2. I know my hair style makes it difficult to see, I wanted to keep the pics similar for comparison (ie, hair style, camera angle, and lighting.). I prefer to leave the docs name out of this because I don't think it is worth it at this point. I am strictly looking for objective opinions and suggestions at this point.

It's difficult to ascertain the depth of your problem as you don't want to name your doctor, there are many substandard so called doctors out there that just want your money with little concern to you; you only have to read some of the stories on this forum. Hopefully you did your homework and found a good professional, and if this is so you must go back to him/her and try to sort out your situation.

My Doctor said to me that after 3000+ HT's he had performed he only had two that failed. On further investigation he said that the reason these failed was the miss use of hard drugs and said that he hadn't encountered any other reasons a professional HT would fail.

I know I haven't helped, but my thoughts are with you on this.

The very best of luck.

HairBrain

Welcome 2nd HT and thanks for sharing your situation with us.

I think some of the language you are using is very telling, IMO.

Your situation is a common one where a Doc would transplant without concern for native hair or for the potential regression down the side/laterals.

Did your Doc mention that some "separation" could occur between the transplanted hair and your existing native hair as a result of shockloss or continued loss?

I have seen situations like yours before and the only "fix" is to go in for another HT and have a Doc build your laterals and sides up to match your HT.

The great part about that is it does not require a ton of grafts to do this. About 600-800 grafts will usually be enough to take care of both sides.

In looking at your current "look" you need to concentrate on your hairline and the frontal core, in addition to building your laterals.

I am not sure if you had poor growth, etc.... from HT #2 and I would like to know which Doc you used, but I understand and respect your intentions to deal with this in an above-board manner right now.

My suggestion is that you involve Pat Hennessey and divulge your situation in confidence to him. If indeed you have chosen a Coalition Doc or a Recommended Doc, he will be able to help you out.

Please let me know if there is anything I can do to help.

Take Care,

J

Go Cubs!

6721 transplanted grafts

13,906 hairs

Performed by Dr. Ron Shapiro

Dr. Ron Shapiro and Dr. Paul Shapiro are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

2nd HT-

I understand your concern. Honesty, I can't really tell much of a difference, if at all, from HT #1 and HT #2 which supposedly added 2200 grafts. Either you had permanent shock loss or many did not grow.

I echo B spots advice to you on how best to approach this with a "fix" and also ask that you contact Pat in private to discuss the Doc used. If he is recommended by this site or a coalition surgeon we'll all benefit from this being further researched.

Good luck!

Hairbank

1st HT 1-18-05 - 1200 FUT's

2nd HT 2-15-06 - 3886 FUT's Dr. Wong

3rd HT 4-24-08 - 2415 FUT's Dr. Wong

GRAND TOTAL: 7501 GRAFTS

current regimen: 1.25mg finasteride every other day

My Hair Loss Weblog

Disclaimer: I'm not a Doctor (and have never played one on TV ;) ) and have no medical training. Any information I share here is in an effort to help those who don't like hair loss.

Hi 2nd HT,

just MHO, I am in no way saying your surgeon did the right thing by choosing to place the hairs where he did and it may indeed have been a bad decision but on the bright side, it does not look really horrible. To B Spot's point, it looks to be rectifiable. Of course this does not let your doc off the hook, though.

Also, I see the pitched roof look you are talking about. Maybe a good hairstylist can minimize that.

HIGA

2400 Grafts with Dr. Epstein 11/8/06

Nizoral 3X/week

Rogaine foam 2x/day

Man, it is very comforting to hear you guys ackowledge my concerns. I know I was not butchered by any means, but every meeting I had with the doctor always resulted in telling me how much better it looked. His office looked at my like I was crazy every time I came in with my concerns. I really believe his ego got in the way of his objectivity.

I had hoped that my 2nd HT in 2 years (totaling 4500 grafts) would provide me with some time to take a break and not worry about surgeries for a while. Now, I need another small surgery to correct my concerns. It is very time consuming and inconvenient to say the least. Also, B Spots comment about separation is a great one because the doctor did not discuss this with me at all until I inquired about it sometime after my surgery. He was very non-chalant about this and I feel this HT just created more HT work, instead of less, in the long run.

Thanks again for your honest feedback. I will get with Pat to discuss the specific doctor.

Hi

Still didnt mention the doc .. Anyway, guys the pictures are too poor to see any difference? Also 2200 is not going to make a huge difference in his case.

Not sure what to think as I cannot make an accurate assessment on the poorly lit pics

JOBI

1417 FUT - Dr. True

1476 FUT - Dr. True

2124 FUT - Dr. True

604 FUE - Dr. True

My views are based on my personal experiences, research and objective observations. I am not a doctor.

Total - 5621 FU's uncut!

2nd HT,

I'm glad to see you decided to post your photos and concern on this forum AND that you are receiving the encouragement that you are looking for.

I agree...in the photos you posted, it is difficult to see any change from before to after your HT. When you are referring to the "top" are you reffering to the area in front of the crown and behind the hairline?

One thing you may be aware of, if not you should be, is that hairloss is progressive. It's POSSIBLE that you gained hair from the existing HT, but lost more native hair, despite the finasteride. I know that happened to me from the point of my first HT to now. I have a net gain of hair, BUT, have basically lost all my native hair in the hairline, crown, and most of the middle section.

Do you have any immediately post op pictures you can post? that might help us get a better idea of WHERE the grafts were placed.

As many others have said, the good news is, you can still end up with a net gain of hair by having another procedure. I don't know who your doctor was for your second HT, but if you are dissatisfied with him, I recommend going to another doctor from the coalition: http://www.hairlosslearningcenter.org/hair-loss-content...s/our_physicians.asp. PERHAPS, though, your current doctor will be willing to work with you to rectify the situation. Depending on who the doctor is, if you are willing to share that with us, we will better be able to direct you as to whether or not to give your doctor another chance or to seek another one.

I hope this helps.

Bill

I really believe that my sides look thinner because the hair is slightly shorter. They are actually unchanged in my mind. Actually, the primary problem is that the decision to go with heavy density on top (front and mid scalp) and not feather into the temple, sides and crownI have left me with an awkward result. I guess I need one more HT. I am strongly considering Dr Charles in Boca Raton. He is convenient for me and he has received some good reviews. Anybody have an opinion on him?

PS: I will eventually provide the Dr's name but I am waiting to get a few last things ironed with him. I think it is only fair.

2nd HT, While I recommend Dr. Charles to many, I would like to see you do a consult with Dr. Rose.

In your situation, with blondish hair, a poor record of success, I just think that you may find Dr. Rose slightly more suited to your needs.

Of course, this is my opinion, and I am taking nothing away from Dr. Charles, whom I hold in very high regard.

Do me a favor and do a consult with Dr. Rose before you make a decision.

Take Care,

J

Go Cubs!

6721 transplanted grafts

13,906 hairs

Performed by Dr. Ron Shapiro

Dr. Ron Shapiro and Dr. Paul Shapiro are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.