Sea-

I think that the breakthrough will occur when we are able to first clone SKIN. This will revolutionize the manner in which patients who have experienced large amounts of skin surface deficits (eg, burn patients, trauma patients, patients with congenital deformities). Traditionally, these patients are treated utilizing autologous (their own) skin, which is taken from another part of the body (usually the thighs), thus leaving a significant scar. The quality of the grafted skin, though functional, leaves much to be desired, cosmetically speaking. The ability to clone skin would truly be a miracle to many patients who suffer from the above conditions. I think it would be considered a milestone in "modern" medicine, on par with Penicillin and the introduction of surgery.

That said, the process of cloning specific types of skin is simply dependent on the type cloned. Hence, the cloning of hair bearing scalp should present no additional boundaries, per say.

This would also make logical sense, I think, as I would believe that trying to create the complex structure of the hair follicle would necessarily involve it's inception as a structure created from a specialized type of skin.

How far away? I'll go out on a limb and say 10 years.

Timothy Carman, MD

Timothy Carman, MD ABHRS

President, (ABHRS)
ABHRS Board of Directors

Are you asking because the reality (or unreality) of hair cloning will have a bearing on your hair transplant decisions?

Personally, I think patients should proceed with their HT plans with the expectation that cloning will not be an option. It will, but the whens and hows are ify. Some people don't do hair transplants because they are waiting for cloning. Not doing HT is fine, but cloning should not be the reason. Conversely, some patients wish to be very aggressive with HTs with the idea that, by the time their donor is exhausted, hair cloning can save the day. Again, the reasoning is flawed in my opinion.

Notice: I am an employee of Dr. Paul Rose who is recommended on this community. I am not a doctor. My opinions are not necessarily those of Dr. Rose. My advice is not medical advice.

Dr. Rose is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

• 15 years later...