Scar healing.

To many of you vets and docs. I am currently at approx. 11 weeks post surgery and my scar is still obviously red. It also appears to me that it is between 3-4 mm wide. Certainly not pencil thin.

My questions:

1. Is it likely to look wider than it really is while it is still obviously healing and quite red? ie. red around the actual incision making it look wide.

2. If it were stretched would the entire scar have equal width?

I have had my wife examine but she can't tell from what she says. She took photos but not sure they will help you determine either.

Any feedback welcome.

NN

NN

Dr.Cole,1989. ??graftcount

Dr. Ron Shapiro. Aug., 2007

Total graft count 2862

Total hairs 5495

1hairs--916

2hairs--1349

3hairs--507

4hairs--90

NN,

Yes, a red scar may appear wider than a matured scar. It is also possible that you have experienced a little bit of shock loss around the scar which is causing it to appear wider than it really is. This is why it is better to evaluate the scar between 8-12 months rather than early on.

Scar stretching can occur which is why it's best to be careful to avoid anything that will strain the scar. If Scar stretching occurs, it is most likey not going to happen evenly - some areas may end wider than others.

Bill

Unlike my first procedure (the scar was barely noticeable after a month), for my second procedure, my scar is inflamed (not infected, I don't think) and pretty thick. I have also had hair loss along the scar. I am assuming that because the doctor cut across the original scar and because this was a much, much larger strip, the healing time will be longer.

So,

1. It sounds like your scar is like my one (I am a month post-procedure)

Bill,

You mentioned that scar stretching is occur. Under what conditions can they occur? Can a scar stretch without any factors? I know that both my MD and Dr. Epstein have told me to not do yoga for two months (my MD thinks I shouldn't do yoga for three months). But can basic stretching before "normal" exercise (walking, biking) stretch scars?

I am going to see my

A scar at 2-3-4-5 months is not indicative of a final result.

Redness can take several months to disappear fully, with some retaining some pinkish tint several months past that.

NN-- I would say if your scar is 3-4mm at 11 weeks, it is a good bet that it will hit that 1.5-2.5mm range of top notch scars.

To answer the stretching question: a scar can stretch in very small zones, or over the entire length. I believe from people I have spoken with that if a person caused their scar to stretch by physical activity, it is usually accompanied by a burning or "needles" sensation--- of course, some people may simply stretch do to other factors, but that is a difficult variant to weigh.

Don't put your chin on your chest for a while, and keep your chin in the air when you bend over, pick anything up, etc..

Take Care,

Jason

Go Cubs!

6721 transplanted grafts

13,906 hairs

Performed by Dr. Ron Shapiro

Dr. Ron Shapiro and Dr. Paul Shapiro are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

Unfortunately I just wrote a long post but it was lost because the page timed out, so I will try my best to repeat by summarizing.

FHL,

B Spot gave you an excellent answer.

Scar redness, inflammation, (as long as its not infected) and some ridging even can be common especially for the first several months. It certainly needs time to heal.

Any intense stretching such as Yoga should be avoided for a few months - so I agree with your doctors. Ultimately you don't want to put unnecessary strain on the scar while it's still healing.

Other variables can cause stretching. Dr. Epstein said in live chat last week that a lot of scalp elasticity may be a sign of thin skin. The lack of supporting collagen may increase the risks of scar stretching over time. This is more common in young patients which is another reason why waiting to have a hair transplant for younger patients may be a good idea.

Bill

A pencil line scar is always the goal. But even in the best hands, strip scars can go a bit wider. I believe you need to give it time. Since you are still healing, the scar may look "angry." It is not uncommon and may not be indicative on the final result. Furthermore, you may have some minor (temporary) shock loss around that scar line. This can magnify your perception of the actual width.

Notice: I am an employee of Dr. Paul Rose who is recommended on this community. I am not a doctor. My opinions are not necessarily those of Dr. Rose. My advice is not medical advice.

Dr. Rose is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.