How Many Hairs in a Graft?

Hi,

How many hairs are there in a graft? Does it vary from anywhere between 2-4. I speak with respect to the FUT procedure (if that makes a difference). With that said, if I'm having a transplant done and I'm having 2500 grafts , that would mean at a minimum i'd be looking at 5000 new hairs growing? It doesn't sound like much? When a non MPB person of has about 100,000 hairs (I'm not sure if thats related to a particular age bracket).

Thanks

Hi,

How many hairs are there in a graft? Does it vary from anywhere between 2-4. I speak with respect to the FUT procedure (if that makes a difference). With that said, if I'm having a transplant done and I'm having 2500 grafts , that would mean at a minimum i'd be looking at 5000 new hairs growing? It doesn't sound like much? When a non MPB person of has about 100,000 hairs (I'm not sure if thats related to a particular age bracket).

Thanks

it should be noted that of those 100,000 hairs on a non-MPB, 60% (60,000)are on the sides and back of your head. That leaves roughly 40,000 hairs for the top. then when you break that down (1/3 for each region as in front, mid, and crown)that makes it roughly 13,200 hairs for each region. therefore a transplant of 5,000 hairs to the frontal region will without question make a significant cosmetic difference.

nm76

The above info is accurate. However it is difficult to predict what will truly make a significant cosmetic difference without haveing a proper understanding of your goals and expectations, a knowledge of your donor and hair loss pattern and size of your head. For some people, Hatrick is correct, for others with class VI and a very wide forehead and recipient base, maybe they will not be happy. In general 2500, grafts in the frontal third is a good amount. However, if you are the person in the photos below and only put 2500 2.2 haired grafts in the frontal third, he might be asking about the rest of the scalp. There are many factors to assure we get the right number of grafts to give you the most significant cosmetic difference. A proper consultatin in regards to density and coverage and donor limitations is essential to assure you get the results you expect.

Wide forehead, large recipient area

ya i just meant for nm76 in particular. he states that his hair loss is limited to his hairline and temples. thats being the case, 2500 grafts or roughly 5,000 hairs should make a significant improvement. however, he should no doubt discuss this in more detail with a surgeon.

Hatrick..

Interesting breakdown of the hair/regions.

Never really looked at it that way.

It's true when you hear the avg is 100,000 hairs...the 5100+ hairs I had moved seems like nothing...but the breakdown sheds new light.

Thx,

MH

Thanks for the info - I will now have to look over the hair loss blogs again and pay more attention to things like the number of grafts , and the current balding of an individual - something I was not really not looking at before.

That said, when I went to one clinic - they told me they would not be concentrating too much on my existing hair line - rather they would focus a bit above it - bearing in mind I would be losing hair in the future - I am ok with this, seeing as my hair line is not too high to begin with - I also don't think i'm interested in lowering it. I have a pretty young looking face as it is, keeping a more mature hair line would seem the way to go.