Hey brothers, here is what I heard back from Dr. Konior, advice please?

Here is the Email he sent back to me after emailing him:

Joe

I'm not sure how you derived your graft estimate, but I believe you may be drastically underestimating what is needed to achieve what you describe as "nice and thick" hair. You have very dark hair and light skin. This is a high contrast situation and will require that you establish a minimum of 50% density in the thin areas to adequately camouflage your scalp. This means that 50 grafts per square centimeter are needed for the production of high density hair. There are many issues that need to be considered. You indicated that you are not on Propecia. I believe Propecia is essential in your case - not so much for regrowth - but as a modality to stabilize the thinning hair that still remains on your scalp. Surgical intervention can shock the preexisting hair. Any hair loss from shock will further deteriorate your final density. Propecia can have a very positive stabilizing effect on your remaining hair.

I would suggest that you get a make-up marker and mark the exact hairline you want created and the back edge of the zone you want grafted. Figure 0413 is the perfect photo to do this with since it best depicts your full thinning zones. The marked zone will allow me to give a much better graft estimate.

I am also curious as to why you feel FUE is the best option. That technique is very time intensive and costs about twice the amount of strip harvesting. I personally find strip harvesting to be the best method for the great majority of patients.

Any comments? What do you guys think about the FUE thing? Thanks guys, and I will get pics up soon just waiting for them to get sized smaller...Joe

Here is the Email he sent back to me after emailing him:

Joe

I'm not sure how you derived your graft estimate, but I believe you may be drastically underestimating what is needed to achieve what you describe as "nice and thick" hair. You have very dark hair and light skin. This is a high contrast situation and will require that you establish a minimum of 50% density in the thin areas to adequately camouflage your scalp. This means that 50 grafts per square centimeter are needed for the production of high density hair. There are many issues that need to be considered. You indicated that you are not on Propecia. I believe Propecia is essential in your case - not so much for regrowth - but as a modality to stabilize the thinning hair that still remains on your scalp. Surgical intervention can shock the preexisting hair. Any hair loss from shock will further deteriorate your final density. Propecia can have a very positive stabilizing effect on your remaining hair.

I would suggest that you get a make-up marker and mark the exact hairline you want created and the back edge of the zone you want grafted. Figure 0413 is the perfect photo to do this with since it best depicts your full thinning zones. The marked zone will allow me to give a much better graft estimate.

I am also curious as to why you feel FUE is the best option. That technique is very time intensive and costs about twice the amount of strip harvesting. I personally find strip harvesting to be the best method for the great majority of patients.

Any comments? What do you guys think about the FUE thing? Thanks guys, and I will get pics up soon just waiting for them to get sized smaller...Joe

Influencer,

It would be helpful if you posted what you emailed him as well icon_wink.gif.

But Dr. Konior's advice is spot on as a lot needs to be considered in determining the appropriate number of grafts to create that illusion of density.

There is a lot of controversy over FUE, and I tend to agree with Dr. Konior. Until I start to see some consistency that shows FUE is as surefire as strip, I won't have it done on myself.

Bill

Hey Bill, for some reason I was thinking FUE was what more people were doing now, I must have been wrong. I have a phone consult with Dr. Shapiro in an hour and an in office with Dr. Konior tomorrow morning so those should help. Here is the original email I sent if it helps:

Hi Dr. Konior, my name is Joe Ward and am interested in a FUE hair transplant. You are one of the doctors recommended on Hair Transplant network, which is where I found your information. Anyways, I am 27 yrs old and am not taking propecia. Although, I am very thick in the back, and back top of my head which is where i heard propecia works mainly anyways (not in the front, so what I heard). I am interested in mainly re-strengthening my hairline nice and thick, mainly filling in my receding hairline, and probably filling in a bit in my front top as well. Maybe 1000-1500 graphs I would guess, but you can give me your opinion. What would be the earliest I could get the work done? And what would be the next step? Thank you very much for your time.

Influencer,

FUE gives patients an option who prefer not to have a linear scar. It is attractive to patients because of this, but is often falsely marketed as a "scarless" procedure, so be careful. Additionally, my personal opinion based on public and private evidence is that consistency is lacking with FUE results as hair growth "yield" is controversial.

Many patients are getting FUE, but online evidence suggests that most are still getting strip.

I encourage you to research the differences between these two surgeries and see what patients and physicians have been saying about them.

Dr. Konior is a great doc. You will be in great hands if you select him.

Best wishes,

Bill

I think he's right. The FUE, in my amateur opinion, is a nice option for those lucky ones who just need to move their hairline down a little, or build some strength to it.

Personally, after seeing a couple of videos of the extraction process, about the most I'd do would be <500 FUE. More than that, and they have to punch a lot of damn holes.

I go to New York about once a year, so I might try Dr. Feller's lunchtime special (200 FUE for $2k)in a year or so to cover my scar (if it's noticeable at all), or get a temple job.

But, at 3-weeks, my scar sure is looking thin so we'll see if I even need that. Today's scars are much smaller and they can make it so hairs grow through.

100? 'mini' grapfts by Latham's Hair Clinic - 1991 (Removed 50 plugs by Cooley 3/08.)

2750 FU 3/20/08 by Dr. Cooley

My Hair Loss Website - Hair Transplant with Dr. Cooley

Current regimen:

1.66 mg Proscar M-W-F

Rogaine 5% Foam - every now and then

AndroGel - once daily

Lipitor - 5 mg every other day

Weightlifting - 2x per week

Jogging - 3x per week

Yeah I just got done with about a 90 min phone consult with Dr. Shapiro's office and was expained everything in great detail. Just going to do an ultra refined FUT since I will probably be around 2000-2500. Really liked what I heard from the Shapiro office that's for sure. I will see Dr. Konior in the morning as well and probably make my decision. Thanks again for all your help here guys!