HT scar concern

I have been around folks who have had hair transplants, both good and bad, but the thing that has always kept me from feeling like it was something I wanted to do was the scar in back of the head. I haven't seen too many scars that were completely undectectable. It seems most guys grow their hair a little thicker in back to conceal it, but that is one of the dead giveaways of how I know he's had a hair transplant. It often times gives off a "two level" look, if you know what I mean.

However, I have recently seen a host of photos on blogs related to this site that has once again inspired me to consider an HT as something I'd like to look back into. Can anyone tell me what their feelings are on their HT scars? I sure hate to be held back by something like that if no one else has had the bad experience I fear I'll have with it.

Thank you all kindly in advance.

JFB

Regimen: 1 propecia taken in the morning, 3 shots 5% minoxodil twice a day around the hairline, 1% Nizoral several times a week

I have been around folks who have had hair transplants, both good and bad, but the thing that has always kept me from feeling like it was something I wanted to do was the scar in back of the head. I haven't seen too many scars that were completely undectectable. It seems most guys grow their hair a little thicker in back to conceal it, but that is one of the dead giveaways of how I know he's had a hair transplant. It often times gives off a "two level" look, if you know what I mean.

However, I have recently seen a host of photos on blogs related to this site that has once again inspired me to consider an HT as something I'd like to look back into. Can anyone tell me what their feelings are on their HT scars? I sure hate to be held back by something like that if no one else has had the bad experience I fear I'll have with it.

Thank you all kindly in advance.

JFB

Regimen: 1 propecia taken in the morning, 3 shots 5% minoxodil twice a day around the hairline, 1% Nizoral several times a week

From personal experience, I can have my hair relatively short in back without my scar showing up at all ... and that was from a bad scar (thanks Bosley). However, with my recent surgery from Dr. Shapiro, not only was my old scar effectively removed, thanks to the new closure techniques (see Dr. Shapiro's post on Tricho closure), I won't have much of any scar after my recent HT. Unless I literally shave my head, the scar shouldn't show up at all.

Take a look at some of the recent photos or do a search on this site and you will be very impressed. Many are shaving down to a #2 without any scar showing. Impressive indeed.

1662 with Dr. Ron Shapiro - Spring 2006

1105 with Dr. Ron Shapiro - Fall 2009

M&M Weblog

JetFlyBoy-

Usually, you need at least a little length to cover the scar. By "a little" I mean 1/2" or so.........but with the new Trichophytic closure method many HT Doc's are using, many good healers can cut even shorter without detection. Read this for reference.

If the scar is the only thing holding you back, hopefully you'll be able to get a comfort level after doing some thorough research. I'm around 3 months post op from my 2nd HT, wear my hair pretty short on back and sides and it's undetectable with a #3 guard (3/8", I think).

Hairbank

1st HT 1-18-05 - 1200 FUT's

2nd HT 2-15-06 - 3886 FUT's Dr. Wong

3rd HT 4-24-08 - 2415 FUT's Dr. Wong

GRAND TOTAL: 7501 GRAFTS

current regimen: 1.25mg finasteride every other day

My Hair Loss Weblog

Disclaimer: I'm not a Doctor (and have never played one on TV ;) ) and have no medical training. Any information I share here is in an effort to help those who don't like hair loss.

Having a 20 to 30 cm scar on your head is not fun, but I have seen some very clean and just barely detectable scars. That includes mine, which is just a fine line now and really no longer an issue. I do not in any way cut my hair strangely to cover it.

2700 Total Grafts w/ Keene 9/28/05

663 one's = 663

1116 two's = 2232

721 three's = 2163

200 four's = 800

Hair Count = 5858

1000 Total Grafts w/Keene 2/08/07

Mostly combined FU's for 2600+ hairs

My Photo Album

See me at Dr. Keene's Gallery

I have had two HT's, so I've got two scars. The only time I noticed what you call a "two level" look is when my hair was really short after my first HT. I found that once my hair got to approx. 3/4" to 1", it wasn't noticeable. The longer the hair is in the back, the less noticeable the scar will be. It's to the point now where I don't even think about the scars.

Many doctors are now performing techniques that limit the width of the scar and use techniques that allow hair to grow right through the scar so that it is much less noticeable. Search the archives for topics regarding scars and you will find tons of info.

If you don't like the idea of a long scar on the back of your head, look into the FUE procedure on the Hair Loss Learning Center website. It's much more expensive, however.

• Administrators

JetFlyBoy,

For people like me and others who find their virtually undectable donor scar to be a total non issue cosmetically, we can often be perplexed by the fear of donor scarring that some people have.

My sense, having been communicating with hair transplant patients online for over eight years now, is that for those going to top notch surgeons donor scarring of any cosmetic significance is very rare.

I believe that fear of donor scarring reached nearly hysterical levels in recent years when certain FUE doctors promoted their so called "scarless" procedure by posting the most awful donor scars they could find on their websites and on the forums. These surgeons were then able to harvest a bumper crop of patients who were then willing to pay up to three or four times as much to move the same amount of hair by doing FUE rather than strip surgery.

I think this hysteria has died down considerably as patients have come to realize that FUE was over sold, while good strip surgery was unfairly maligned.

The additional care and attention that most leading surgeons are now giving to closing the donor area, including the Trichophytic closure technique, has also helped reassure many patients about the safety of properly done strip surgeries.

I think the more you compare notes with actual patients the more you will find this to be true.

Best wishes, Pat

Never Forget - It's what radiates from within, not from your skin, that really matters!

My Hair Loss Blog

Sharing is what keeps this community vital. Please join in. To learn how I restored my hair and started this community, click here.

Follow our Community on Twitter.

Well said, Pat. The awful donor scars that were distributed by FUE docs to highlight their technique were indeed the worst of the worst and only served to spread fear, uncertainty and doubt or "FUD".

I feel that one positive that has come out of this negative exposure for strip has been the recognition of the true top docs in the field that have consistently excellent results, not just in the recipient area but also in the donor area.

I clearly remember when FUE was first gaining exposure in North America. The doomsayers against strip were heralding the arrival of FUE as the perfect technique and were flocking to any Tom, Dick or Harry that offered it without considering the actual results, or lack thereof, that were coming out of these clinics. History has shown us that it is still better to look before we leap.

If FUE was all that then you'd see a lot more docs pushing it as the technique of choice. When someone is looking for a hair transplant they are looking for a WOW result and I believe that those results are more common with strip. Patients need only to research and compare results to see this and if still, in the end, they do not wish for a linear donor scar of any kind then at least they will understand the pros and cons of each procedure and won't have any surprises.

The Truth is in The Results

Dr. Victor Hasson and Dr. Jerry Wong are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

I added an image of my scar I took at the 6 month point. See my album here.

2700 Total Grafts w/ Keene 9/28/05

663 one's = 663

1116 two's = 2232

721 three's = 2163

200 four's = 800

Hair Count = 5858

1000 Total Grafts w/Keene 2/08/07

Mostly combined FU's for 2600+ hairs

My Photo Album

See me at Dr. Keene's Gallery

All,

Thank you kindly for the responses. I am really impressed with what I've seen lately, and I'll do some research on the trichopthytic technique. Gorpy, your scar looks great, thanks for the pics.

I have another additional concern about my donor area. I have a huge red birthmark that goes up the back of my head near where my hair stops growing at the bottom to my crown. I have extremely thick hair everywhere but the front/top area. Would the birthmark be noticed as tiny little red specs in the transplants? I'm sure there are ways of putting those grafts in the thick of it all to conceal it, but it's just about my last concern.

I have spoken with my wife about it and she is very supportive (I've spent thousands of dollars for electrolysis on her anyway!!!). I live in Houston, but I am considering an appt. with Dr. Cooley in NC and Dr. Shapiro based on the results I have seen. Travel is easy for me, fortunately.

Thanks again.

JFB

JetFlyBoy,

You won't be disappointed with either Doctor! It was this information sharing - including the dramatic photos on this site - that eventually led me to get a procedure this past week. There has been so many advances since I last had a HT done and I think Pat & Jotronic stated it very well. Many of these enhancements are in the recipient area, but a great deal has also been accomplished in the donor area.

I remember how Bosley used to show the 'bad hair transplant' photos (dolls hair) in an attempt to separate themselves from others ... and it worked. Today, many are making far too much of the scar as it has all but been removed with the Trichophytic closure.

All the best!

1662 with Dr. Ron Shapiro - Spring 2006

1105 with Dr. Ron Shapiro - Fall 2009

M&M Weblog

JetFlyboy,

If you go to one of the TOP Fue docs vs one of the TOP strip docs, the chances are you will be happy with the results in both situations. The questions is, what kind of donor scarring are you more comfortable with in the long run? If your hair thins out in the back as you age, what will you prefer things to look like back there?