My first posting...

Bayer

Hi Everyone,

First of all, kudos to Pat for this forum. I have just finished my third procedure and regretfully only found the forum while casting an anxious eye toward growth.

A bit of history... I had a 400 graft procedure done in 1995 by... Drumroll Please!!! THE BOZ. The good news is that the hairline was done properly, donor area scarring was minimal and the finished product was OK. This was done by Phillips in Boston. I went back to the same location/surgeon for 488 more in 2000. After reading a number of posts, I can't help feeling I was a bit lucky.

I never achieved the density that I was looking for - the number of grafts was probably not high enough - and selected Seager in Toronto (did research on "The Bald Truth"). I definitely wanted to go Follicular Unit. Seager passed away, but I went with his successor, Mark McKenzie.

I had the procedure done at the end of January. I had no shock loss with the first two procedures, but this time I had significant shock loss in the recipient area and for a 1/2" on either side of the donor incision.

I was advised that the recipient area shock loss was due to the density (3588 grafts) and that the previously transplanted hair should come back as the grafts grow in. Any other hair may or may not return. As far as the donor area is concerned, I was informed that this is likely due to this being my third procedure and therefore the scalp may have been tighter in this area.

Also, despite daily washing, the scabs did not come off fully until 3 weeks after surgery. There is also considerable redness which is just now starting to fade.

I have hair starting to grow and a lot of scalp itching in the recipient area. I am just more nerved up this time around because of the shcok loss.

Everything concerning Dr. McKenzie has been good so far. The arrangements, procedure and after care have all been very professional.

I will continue to update as I progress. In the meantime, any info on the redness, late scab loss, shock loss or any other topic would be greatly appreciated. It's great to see people sharing information as well as humor on a subject that is sensitive for so many of us.

Hi Everyone,

First of all, kudos to Pat for this forum. I have just finished my third procedure and regretfully only found the forum while casting an anxious eye toward growth.

A bit of history... I had a 400 graft procedure done in 1995 by... Drumroll Please!!! THE BOZ. The good news is that the hairline was done properly, donor area scarring was minimal and the finished product was OK. This was done by Phillips in Boston. I went back to the same location/surgeon for 488 more in 2000. After reading a number of posts, I can't help feeling I was a bit lucky.

I never achieved the density that I was looking for - the number of grafts was probably not high enough - and selected Seager in Toronto (did research on "The Bald Truth"). I definitely wanted to go Follicular Unit. Seager passed away, but I went with his successor, Mark McKenzie.

I had the procedure done at the end of January. I had no shock loss with the first two procedures, but this time I had significant shock loss in the recipient area and for a 1/2" on either side of the donor incision.

I was advised that the recipient area shock loss was due to the density (3588 grafts) and that the previously transplanted hair should come back as the grafts grow in. Any other hair may or may not return. As far as the donor area is concerned, I was informed that this is likely due to this being my third procedure and therefore the scalp may have been tighter in this area.

Also, despite daily washing, the scabs did not come off fully until 3 weeks after surgery. There is also considerable redness which is just now starting to fade.

I have hair starting to grow and a lot of scalp itching in the recipient area. I am just more nerved up this time around because of the shcok loss.

Everything concerning Dr. McKenzie has been good so far. The arrangements, procedure and after care have all been very professional.

I will continue to update as I progress. In the meantime, any info on the redness, late scab loss, shock loss or any other topic would be greatly appreciated. It's great to see people sharing information as well as humor on a subject that is sensitive for so many of us.

Hi Bayer,

Welcome to the forums! From what you said, it sounds like you don't have too much to worry about. Redness in the recipient area is normal, and for some it does take a few months to subside. Itching is also normal as the new hair is growing out.

Do you have any pre- and immediately post-op pictures you could post? That way we could form some more educated opinions.

Awesome!!!!! A Dr. McKenzie patient!!!!!!

You must post some pics and keep us up to date!!!!!

I really want to see some immediate post-op photos as well.

I have been wanting to see his work for a while now, especially since Dr. Seager passed on.

Anyway, welcome and thanks for sharing with us.

I hope you share your journey with us.

Take Care,

J

Go Cubs!

6721 transplanted grafts

13,906 hairs

Performed by Dr. Ron Shapiro

Dr. Ron Shapiro and Dr. Paul Shapiro are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

Bayer,

Thanks for sharing your story. I echo B spot's comments about the pics.........we'd love to see them if you can post them.

Good luck!

Hairbank

1st HT 1-18-05 - 1200 FUT's

2nd HT 2-15-06 - 3886 FUT's Dr. Wong

3rd HT 4-24-08 - 2415 FUT's Dr. Wong

GRAND TOTAL: 7501 GRAFTS

current regimen: 1.25mg finasteride every other day

My Hair Loss Weblog

Disclaimer: I'm not a Doctor (and have never played one on TV ;) ) and have no medical training. Any information I share here is in an effort to help those who don't like hair loss.

Bayer,

Welcome to the forums and thank you for sharing your experience. I look forward to seeing your pictures.

Shockloss is a big pain in the neck, but the good news is, it's temporary. It's a minor (or major depending on how you see it) inconvenience but it's only for a short time. In 6-8 months you'll be a whole new man!

Bill