Shedding do to Propecia...?

DZ

This goes out to all you propecia users and advocators...(doctors too woudl be great).

I started using propecia when i noticed my thinning to get to upsetting. i was on it for around 6 weeks and noticed a RAPID loss of hair!

I consulted with my friedn an endocrinologist and his partner (a dermatologist) and they both thought i was reacting badly to the Propecia. I got off it and went on a topical solution, but of course, the jitters set in, and i wonder if i should have stayed on the propecia...

I read few posts on other sites that some people have had similar reactions, though some gained that hair back an dothers were still waiting...i'm looking for some experience based advice if someone has encountered this seeming increase in shedding on propecia... you commenst are well appreciated you can email me directly at: d_zeev@hotmail.com

cheers gang,

DZ

This goes out to all you propecia users and advocators...(doctors too woudl be great).

I started using propecia when i noticed my thinning to get to upsetting. i was on it for around 6 weeks and noticed a RAPID loss of hair!

I consulted with my friedn an endocrinologist and his partner (a dermatologist) and they both thought i was reacting badly to the Propecia. I got off it and went on a topical solution, but of course, the jitters set in, and i wonder if i should have stayed on the propecia...

I read few posts on other sites that some people have had similar reactions, though some gained that hair back an dothers were still waiting...i'm looking for some experience based advice if someone has encountered this seeming increase in shedding on propecia... you commenst are well appreciated you can email me directly at: d_zeev@hotmail.com

cheers gang,

DZ

Propecia induces shedding in just about everyone. The miniaturizing hairs MUST shed before a thicker, healthier hair can replace it. Taking Propecia for 6 weeks and then stopping is worse than never having taken it. I suggest that you restart Propecia, endure the shedding, and enjoy the benefits of a stable set of hair that results after about a year of usage.

Propecia is the best we have right now.

DZ,

I too, have noticed shedding either when I stop or re-start Propecia...it seems, it does change your hair cycle temporarily when you start. In 4 years of talking with others I have never heard of any "long term" "hair loss" with the drug, I think medically it could not harm your hair..perhaps more Dr's will comment on this..??? I suggest you give it at least a full year. FYI I felt new hair nubs after the 1st month upon starting the drug...so those shed hairs will return.

thanks for your comments NW and Westwood.

the dr.s i mentione din my post are very experienced ones and are also into hair loss research, and they do claim to feel that the propecia coudl cause a negative permanent result in a FEW rare cases...now of course, i am willing to admit to my panic reaction, but is it not possible that the drug could induce shedding (even permanent) in some cases? I dont think any of the advocators of propecia or even merk would want to look to heavily into this what do you think? (PS- im not being negative about all this i truly want as many experienced thoughts on this so i can make my own mind up - im just a little new to this and concerned)

cheers and thanks for the responses,

DZ

oh yeah a very important question... so if ive been off it for a week or so and i go back on it is it like i never was on it? does the 4-6 month initial thing start all over again? has any body ever gone off and back on propecia?

THX

DZ

DZ

For me, "every time" I have stopped and retarted Propecia I go through some growth cycle interruption..hence some intial shedding, I notice it most in the vertex area. Perhaps just keep the Propecia going at 1/2 dose for the initial 1st month then kick up to 1 mg per day.

HT is a valuable resource and honestly porpecia is really only a "holding onto hair" power. At times propecia may not be enough to satisfy your hair goals. I really am an advocate of staying on Propecia, aftar a full year you will not see any shedding and the initial hair will return. I believe a hair cycle can be 3-6 months minimum.

Good Luck

To those of you who have posted on this topic and anyone else who would care to post:

I too have noticed an increase of shedding after about 3 - 4 months of using Propecia. I had been on Proscar for a year or so however. My hair is noticably thinner now while I am waiting for the HT I had to grow out. An important question: Has anyone seen any studies to indicate that this shedding is NORMAL and that the original hair will gorw back? The Merck website does not of course mention this as a side effect. I am very concerned that the negative effect of the shedding will outweigh the positive effect of the HT!

Thanks everyone for your comments

DZ asked "so if ive been off it for a week or so and i go back on it is it like i never was on it? does the 4-6 month initial thing start all over again? has any body ever gone off and back on propecia?"

Propecia stays in your bloodstream for several weeks, I believe. That's why taking it every day at "the exact same time" is not important, or why missing a day will not kill you (try not to miss any days, of course).

In other words, you should feel free to get back on Propecia, because hopefully the worst is over. It's not like "starting from scratch" for you, DZ.

By the way, there are some doctors who say in their experience Propecia doesn't cause shedding (that they have seen).

Quote: An important question: Has anyone seen any studies to indicate that this shedding is NORMAL and that the original hair will gorw back?

No, I have not seen any studies, but I can speak from personal experience. I shed significnantly, and then grew it most of it back after about 6-8 months, thicker and fuller. The hairs I did permanently lose I would have lost in another year anyway.

To those of you who have posted on this topic and anyone else who would care to post:

I too have noticed an increase of shedding after about 3 - 4 months of using Propecia. I had been on Proscar for a year or so however. My hair is noticably thinner now while I am waiting for the HT I had to grow out. An important question: Has anyone seen any studies to indicate that this shedding is NORMAL and that the original hair will gorw back? The Merck website does not of course mention this as a side effect. I am very concerned that the negative effect of the shedding will outweigh the positive effect of the HT!

Thanks everyone for your comments