Quitting finasteride after a HT? thoughts/opinions please

hi folks, its been a while since I've visited the site. Well I had a ht about two months ago and thought I'd take a break from the finasteride cos my libido has been in the dumps and i missed that god given right to go SPLASH! Yeeha! that felt great. But anyways after few weeks my libido has improved, well the sensation and ejaculation has, i don't think the desire to have sex has returned to it normality like it use to be i.e prob everyday. At first i thought about just taking a break and start up again with a 1mg dose every MWF and see what happens. I had already been on a dose of 1mg EOD and that numbed my libido out pretty good. Now Im thinking of quitting altoghter BUT i have the hair behind the HT to think about, i dont want to be left with an island of hair at the front. maybe if i start up on a smaller dose i might keep the libido but i doubt it. Any thoughts? thanks

hi folks, its been a while since I've visited the site. Well I had a ht about two months ago and thought I'd take a break from the finasteride cos my libido has been in the dumps and i missed that god given right to go SPLASH! Yeeha! that felt great. But anyways after few weeks my libido has improved, well the sensation and ejaculation has, i don't think the desire to have sex has returned to it normality like it use to be i.e prob everyday. At first i thought about just taking a break and start up again with a 1mg dose every MWF and see what happens. I had already been on a dose of 1mg EOD and that numbed my libido out pretty good. Now Im thinking of quitting altoghter BUT i have the hair behind the HT to think about, i dont want to be left with an island of hair at the front. maybe if i start up on a smaller dose i might keep the libido but i doubt it. Any thoughts? thanks

Personally, I think that finasteride simply prolongs the inevitable...which is a good thing. I am on it and will continue to be until my crown disappears (or should I say appears icon_biggrin.gif).

However, if you are suffering side effects, give it a break for a while and see what happens. If you lose in the crown to the point where it bothers you, think about having some crown work done in the future.

You have to do what is best for you!

My initial HT thread:

done and done!! Check it out...

yeah that's what i was kinda thinking thanks for the reply Eman and "grow well" as they say, i think i went to the same doc you did, the worse thing for me was that goddam motel room for 3/4 days lying on my back watching tv, cos ya must lie 90degrees to avoid swelling. I thought i was gonna crack up no shit, i also felt very self conscious when i went to get breakfast wearing that blue surgical hat they give you to where but thats prob just me. Advice to anyone getting a ht outta town - bring entertainment! i.e. portable video game or laptop,

That is why I quit Propecia myself. Guys like us, who are susceptible to propecia's side effects, have a choice to make. Hair or libido. I picked libido and can get hair when I need it.

Dr. Lindsey McLean VA

William H. Lindsey, MD, FACS

McLean, VA

Dr. William Lindsey is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians