What about 10 years from now?

Wow, Jupiter and Futzy, you guys are an inspiration to me! I am quite low on the hair count and would like a transplant but I am afraid of potential problems 10 years from now. Future hair loss, etc... Many things can go wrong as we know from earlier methods. Any encouragement?

It's important to halt the progression of your hair loss with medication like Propecia, in my opinion. Hair transplants do not prevent future hair loss (in some cases they can accelerate loss). The more of your natural hair you can maintain, the better off you will be (the better your transplant will look).

One of the reasons FUTZY looks so good is that he is able to graft into a limited area. If he needed to graft his entire head, he would end up with less density.

Don't just let your hair loss progress, and expect that you can replace everything with grafts... it's not a realistic expectation, and even if you could do that, it would cost a fortune. The biggest problem with hair transplants (presuming the HT is performed correctly) is the limitations on the amount of donor hair each guy has.

Two other things to consider are that Futzy and Jupiter had virgin scalps (no prior HT surgeries) and their degree of balding was advanced enough to have a pretty good feel for what the future might bring. One might say, they are old enough to know, but I would never say that! ;-)

Virgin scalps make mega-sessions like Jupiter's possible. His donor hair and scalp laxity have not been reduced, and the doctor is not spending his time and effort fixing old work, but rather concentrated on a virgin scalp.

My guess is there is still hair in reserve should they need a touch-up down the road.

Mr. T

There's a lot to think about- Keep reading. My choice was easier than other guys. My hairline was the same as my 73 year old dad's. With the exception of the crown. I figure that if all goes to hell and my meds quit working- I'll have a bald crown, but the rest is taken care of. Plus- I still have enough donor hair to fill it in- I used 5000 grafts- I'd bet I have another 3k if I wanted... But I'm counting on technology keeping up with me... I just started Proscar a year ago and Minox 5% 4 months ago. There's already Avodart out- I can switch to that. And there's gotta be other stuff around the corner...