Short haircuts/buzzcuts after transplants?

Joe HT

Passable, or overly obvious?

I know the type and quality of the HT job would make a difference, but can a person with HT typical get the hair buzzed (assuming it's just enough to cover the donor scar).

JoeHT....

I'm a little over 7 months post-op, and my scar is definitely covered when using a #2 guard on the barber's razor. That's pretty short, but as time goes on, I'm gonna go down to a #1 safely eventually.

I have been buzzing mine down to a #3 blade since about a month and a half out. I am now at 3 months out, and still use the #3. I may eventually go down to a #2, as I used prior to HT, but right now I still have some thinning around the donor site. It's quickly recovering, though.

I don't think it is realistic to assume you will be able to buzz cut your hair after a strip excision, and not see your donor scar.

Is it possible? yes, according to Tedd and NC30. Is it possible for every guy? No, it is not. Ask your doctor if he thinks it is realistic, I can almost guarantee that he will tell you not to expect that you won't see your donor scar with a buzzed haircut.

If he promises you that you won't see your donor scar with a buzz cut, ask him to guarantee it in writing, and see what he says.

Again, it may be possible for some guys, but in my opinion it is not typical. It is crucial to have realistic expectations, and in my opinion it is not realistic to expect to buzz your hair after a strip excision, and not see a donor scar.

If you want to buzz your head after a transplant, you should probably look into non-strip transplants (aka FUE/FIT/Woods technique) which move grafts individually, and do not create a linear scar.

So Arfy, you don't think it's realistic to buzz cut your donor area and not see the scar? Ok, what if the scar is grafted, you sure that scar will be visible then even with a buzzzzzzed cut?

Let it Grow.

Let it Grow.