Assistants doing FUE

I would like to startup a discussion based on the idea that trained techs or assistants are doing the entire FUE procedure, except for anestetics and hairline design. The dr. would be present (maybe not in the same room, but within 1 min. walking distance).

Please feel free to join and express your opinions.

Consultant-co owner Prohairclinic (FUE only) in Belgium, Dr. De Reys.

I would like to startup a discussion based on the idea that trained techs or assistants are doing the entire FUE procedure, except for anestetics and hairline design. The dr. would be present (maybe not in the same room, but within 1 min. walking distance).

Consultant-co owner Prohairclinic (FUE only) in Belgium, Dr. De Reys.

I think the assistants and techs should do exactly that.... assist the doctor.

It takes skill and artistry to make incisions, so the only concession I MIGHT be willing to make is some extractions being performed by technicians.

J

Go Cubs!

6721 transplanted grafts

13,906 hairs

Performed by Dr. Ron Shapiro

Dr. Ron Shapiro and Dr. Paul Shapiro are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

bverotti,

How about the next time you go into the hospital for surgery you let the nurses perform the surgery with the doc being within 1 min walking distance?

Some things are better left to the docs.

Hair transplantation is a team sport. The surgeon is the quarter back on the field, not the coach on the sidelines. The doc needs to be THE player.

Notice: I am an employee of Dr. Paul Rose who is recommended on this community. I am not a doctor. My opinions are not necessarily those of Dr. Rose. My advice is not medical advice.

Dr. Rose is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

Personally I don't like the idea...

I guess maybe it's just a point of view, but I feel that the one with the medical training and degree should be the one making incisions and cutting open my scalp (whether FUE or strip, etc).

Maybe I'd be more comfortable with the idea if it was more mainstream like the techs placing the grafts into the incisions.

Don't get me wrong...I'm not discounting the skill and experience of technicians...after all, the skill of the technicians is VITAL to the HT process...

But I believe that the doctor should be doing the meat of the surgery since he has the medical background and degree. Experience or not, the technicians typically don't have the same medical background and knowledge the doctor has.

Bill

Originally posted by bverotti:

Too much freedom......................so even if a Doc is "close by" this means the tech/assistant will perform the COMPLETE surgery from start to finish, correct? In that case, why would you need to have a surgeon other than for legal reasons?

Hairbank

1st HT 1-18-05 - 1200 FUT's

2nd HT 2-15-06 - 3886 FUT's Dr. Wong

3rd HT 4-24-08 - 2415 FUT's Dr. Wong

GRAND TOTAL: 7501 GRAFTS

current regimen: 1.25mg finasteride every other day

My Hair Loss Weblog

Disclaimer: I'm not a Doctor (and have never played one on TV ;) ) and have no medical training. Any information I share here is in an effort to help those who don't like hair loss.

I understand that transplants are a team effort. Even so, the least I will expect is that the doctor be present monitoring what the techs are doing. Most of the time, if not all through.

I will not be comfortable with this 1 minute away excuse.

if the techs are going to do all this they could call themselves doc.

if you are having a ht you want to know the best possible person is working on you

2 x strip ht`s with Norton,very poor results

1 x fue ht with DHI,very poor result