Shaving recently transplanted hairs

I am 9 days post-op and getting ready to return to work. I would like to keep my HT private and hope to minimize any strangeness to my current look. I have been styling my hair today and the only problem I have is my new hairline. I have the stubble hairs in front that can't be concealed by my existing hair. The redness just looks like it does when I spend time outside and get a slight sunburn. But the little 1/4" hairs are pretty noticeable.

I was wondering if there would be any harm to the grafts by shaving my hairline? I'm not sure if this would cause trauma to the grafts or not. Any thoughts?

I am 9 days post-op and getting ready to return to work. I would like to keep my HT private and hope to minimize any strangeness to my current look. I have been styling my hair today and the only problem I have is my new hairline. I have the stubble hairs in front that can't be concealed by my existing hair. The redness just looks like it does when I spend time outside and get a slight sunburn. But the little 1/4" hairs are pretty noticeable.

I was wondering if there would be any harm to the grafts by shaving my hairline? I'm not sure if this would cause trauma to the grafts or not. Any thoughts?

I wouldn't mess with the grafts for at least 10 days, and even after that I wouldn't do anything. Chances are no one is really gonna even realize besides you, we are our own worst critic. If anyone even asks either deny or say pills work miracles, a little white lie won't hurt...

You only live once...

Don't worry, they won't be around long..... icon_wink.gif

I think at 10 days you can do what you want. Personally, I was very nervous about my first haircut and it was like at the one month; but I certainly didn't get it shaved.

If you shave it, your scar will let everyone know you got a transplant. You might try some Toppik?

100? 'mini' grapfts by Latham's Hair Clinic - 1991 (Removed 50 plugs by Cooley 3/08.)

2750 FU 3/20/08 by Dr. Cooley

My Hair Loss Website - Hair Transplant with Dr. Cooley

Current regimen:

1.66 mg Proscar M-W-F

Rogaine 5% Foam - every now and then

AndroGel - once daily

Lipitor - 5 mg every other day

Weightlifting - 2x per week

Jogging - 3x per week

Thanks for the feedback, guys! Just to be clear, I am only talking about taking a razor and shaving off some of the stubble right at the front of the hairline. This is so that I have bare skin on my forehead up to almost where my exiting hairline starts.

I don't mind continuing to look bald/receding hairline for a while. Right now it looks a bit weird with little dark hairs poking out the top of my forehead. Sometime after the staples come out I will probably have all my hair cut down to about a #3 razor guard or so, and everything will blend a bit better.

I'm probably just stressing too much over a minor detail that no one will (hopefully) notice. But I do appreciate your opinions.

Monza-

You have spent the time and money on surgery...leave it alone for at least two weeks. Who cares if it looks weird?!? Let your head heal and don't take any chances with a razor electric or straight edge. It is not worth it.

Suffer a little now and enjoy the results later!!

My initial HT thread:

done and done!! Check it out...

Monza ....don't do it! Its not worth the risk.

I looked at the pics on your blog and you should be able to cover it with some toppik.

Also, if you've always been clean shaven ..grow a beard...that worked great for me. Like someone else pointed out, we are our worst critics...noone will notice especially if you've done something else to change your look, like growing a beard.

Finally..even if someone notices...don't be embarrassed..its easier said than done..but i'm 3.5 weeks post-op and i've learned that there is always the occasional jerk who'll try to make you feel concious....dont lose sight of the big picture..in 6 months this will be a distant memory icon_biggrin.gif..DON'T MESS WITH THE GRAFTS!

- badger

3279 grafts with Dr Gabel - 06/12/08

My Hair Loss Website - Hair Transplant with Dr. Gabel

I really am thankful for everyone's thoughts on this matter. In the past couple of days I have been very self-conscious. But that is tempered with the fear of harming my grafts.

As it turns out I woke up this morning and decided to just let it be. I can't look that bad. Of course, no one at work said a word or even looked at me funny. So all of my worrying was for nought.

I'm glad this board is here... for information and support. icon_smile.gif

Originally posted by Monza:

I really am thankful for everyone's thoughts on this matter. In the past couple of days I have been very self-conscious. But that is tempered with the fear of harming my grafts.

As it turns out I woke up this morning and decided to just let it be. I can't look that bad. Of course, no one at work said a word or even looked at me funny. So all of my worrying was for nought.

I'm glad this board is here... for information and support. icon_smile.gif

Good thinking Monza. Besides, I don't think people look at us nearly as often as we believe.

100? 'mini' grapfts by Latham's Hair Clinic - 1991 (Removed 50 plugs by Cooley 3/08.)

2750 FU 3/20/08 by Dr. Cooley

My Hair Loss Website - Hair Transplant with Dr. Cooley

Current regimen:

1.66 mg Proscar M-W-F

Rogaine 5% Foam - every now and then

AndroGel - once daily

Lipitor - 5 mg every other day

Weightlifting - 2x per week

Jogging - 3x per week