please help-19 yr. old in trouble

i am a 19 year old college student who has had my life ruined by my hair. i have had thinning hair for believe it or not since i was 13. it has happned to me and both of my brothers, aged 24 and 18. my older brother shaves his head. my dad is also this way so im assuming this is why we have this problem. i have always worn a hat to cover it up and i am at the point where i do not want to do this anymore. the hair loss has not gotten worse over the years but i am at a point where i am really depressed about it and thinking about a transplant. my friends tell me that they think it is a bad idea for a transplant because they think im overreacting.i have very thick hair on the sides but on the top it is extremely thin where u can see my scalp very clearly. i can no longer focus on school work and do not even talk to women because of it. it has ruined my life. can someone please recommend a surgeon in the ny/ct area that they have experience with. i have a consultation next week with dr. cohen in connecticut and that mhr place. from what i hear it is better to go to a private doctor. can someone please help and give me any comments or anything they want to say? thank you so much. -sam

i am a 19 year old college student who has had my life ruined by my hair. i have had thinning hair for believe it or not since i was 13. it has happned to me and both of my brothers, aged 24 and 18. my older brother shaves his head. my dad is also this way so im assuming this is why we have this problem. i have always worn a hat to cover it up and i am at the point where i do not want to do this anymore. the hair loss has not gotten worse over the years but i am at a point where i am really depressed about it and thinking about a transplant. my friends tell me that they think it is a bad idea for a transplant because they think im overreacting.i have very thick hair on the sides but on the top it is extremely thin where u can see my scalp very clearly. i can no longer focus on school work and do not even talk to women because of it. it has ruined my life. can someone please recommend a surgeon in the ny/ct area that they have experience with. i have a consultation next week with dr. cohen in connecticut and that mhr place. from what i hear it is better to go to a private doctor. can someone please help and give me any comments or anything they want to say? thank you so much. -sam

Sam have you considered Propecia ?

-My Opinion only-

HT's are not for you, "IF" you are going to go the direction of your Dad. However "if" Propecia and or any new drugs etc...can hold the line on your hair-loss until you are older..you could then be a possible candidate for HT. If you cannot stabilize your hair-loss go the route of your brother...nice tight hair-cut or shaved.

Every person has something about themselves they would like to change, dont let Hair dominate your thoughts, admitedly easier said than done.

Good Luck

NW

i actually started taking propecia 6 weeks ago. i know that i will never be happy unless my hair becomes thicker and i dont think propecia will do this. so u dont think a hair transplant is a good idea? i am just so depressed right now and i know i will never be happy unless this is fixed. i know there is more to life than HAIR but this is destroying my life. i just dont know what to do.

Sammy,

Personally, I think what is important here is your depression. I would hate to see a young person like yourself rush into a hair transplant (at your age, I doubt that a responsible doctor would perform one on you) and expect that this could solve your problems and permanently lift your spirits. Maybe continuing on the Propecia and seeking out counseling concerning your depression may be a course to consider.

Jim

"Temples 'n Crowns Forever"

Uncjim's Hair Loss WebLog

if you are this bald now, you have a lot more to go. Your donor hair may be totally unstable and you may be a poor candidate for Hair transplant work. Propecia or Dutasteride are your best choices. Get on them now.

HAD MY FIRST HT AGE 20, SOUNDS LIKE YOU HUH ?

NOW AGE 42 DOING RESEARCH FOR HT #9 TO HIDE THE OTHER 8. TRIED HAIR RUGS, DON'T EVEN THINK ABOUT IT ! I HAVE NOT BEEN OUT IN PUBLIC WITHOUT A HAT IN... 18 Y E A R S.... NO LIFE....BE CERTAIN OF WHAT YOU ARE ABOUT TO DO,.... BE REALISTIC IN YOUR EXSPECTATIONS....

I WISH I WOULD OF AT LEAST TRIED THE COOL SHAVED HEAD LOOK BEFORE I LET THEM CUT MY HEAD .. icon_cool.gif

MAN, NOTHIN PISSES ME OFF MORE THAN SEEING A FULL HEAD OF HAIR SHAVED.. icon_mad.gif

YOUR NOT ALONE IN HOW YOU FEEL

KEEP ASKING FOR HELP

WTF

WTF

wow you really had 8 HT's done and you still wear a hat...what did they do wrong at Nuhart?? My work is still presentable but inferior when not combed right with lots of hairspray...

SAmmy 1983

sorry about the state of mind your in....I was there too....talk to several Doc's ...only the experts please.... and keep taking your propecia...have you tried rogaine??? its does work on some people and its cheap in the generic form... Try shaving your head..I know you want hair but it will be liberating to shave it and go from there...growing it long to comb over is bad idea...at least the shaved look is in....no way was it in when I started going south back in the 80's in college. good luck and keep researching but dont let your hair dominate your mind..its important yes, but overall health is more ...it might not feel like it...but it is.....when it comes to your self image....its up to you to have that game winning attitude....yes hair would help...its what we "do" have not what we are wanting....go to the gym and build your body up...you do have control over that and it will help with your confidence.

take care and keep us posted..

Experience:

6 HT to date.......wish this forum was around in the 90's!

I, too, was 19 when I went to see a "leader" in the field. In fact, the doctors I went INVENTED hair transplantation. A couple of surgeries later, things seemed okay, until the hair around my grafts kept falling out to the point where all that is left is the pluggy grafts.

That said, I think the ideas presented here are worthy of your time and contemplation. Opinions from good, reputable doctors (God, I wish this forum were around 20 yrs. ago), will serve to educate you in terms of what to expect, and about some alternatives. What happens if you get two or three drastically different opinions? It may mean to stop and really dig in to what's going on. If you've been reading the forums here at all, you by now know that many of us were told what we wanted to hear - that it "will be alright, we can get you looking like Elvis in no time..." And if you go searching my friend, you will no doubt find someone willing to tell you the same.

You are not in this alone. How do your brothers cope? Do they offer any advice? Is there anyone you can talk to about it?

As for the shaved look, I don't know; but how about buzzing it pretty short? Crewcuts are definitely in (and I used to get them way back when they were dorky). With spring/summer approaching, a crewcut with a tan will do wonders...

i want to thank everyone for their posts on this subject. reading people's stories has really given me a new look at this thing. i am still going to go into for a consultation on friday just to see what they say. i am probably going to wait until the summer time any way to make a decision to see if the propecia works at all. thanks again for your help.