When will the transplanted hair grow?

Hello,

I am 6 months post-op and I have seen very little growth after 2100 hair grafts. This is my second HT, my first was 14 months ago. The first one seemed to work but I lost alot of the original hair that was in the front that is why I decided to have a second HT. Can it take longer than 6 months for some people to see growth? If so, is it more normal to see growth withing 3-6mths post op or after 6 mths? Is it normal to itch in the area where the grafts were placed? Also, why do I always get this little dried balls of skin that flake off my scalp after the HTs? Ever since my first one, I just keep getting these things.

Hello,

I am 6 months post-op and I have seen very little growth after 2100 hair grafts. This is my second HT, my first was 14 months ago. The first one seemed to work but I lost alot of the original hair that was in the front that is why I decided to have a second HT. Can it take longer than 6 months for some people to see growth? If so, is it more normal to see growth withing 3-6mths post op or after 6 mths? Is it normal to itch in the area where the grafts were placed? Also, why do I always get this little dried balls of skin that flake off my scalp after the HTs? Ever since my first one, I just keep getting these things.

Originally, I lost a little hair from the first transplant but it all grew back. There was a year between my first and second HT so the original hair in the front was lost to MPB in my opinion. I know it was the original hair because it was thin and not as dark as the transplanted hair. By the way, I had a much larger shock loss from the second HT. It all seemed to grow back but I was getting really nervous for a month or so. Did anyone else experience this?

Hi Bobbie,

How was your HT experience with this doc? how does your scar look? I have the exact experience as you are mentioning. First HT and you lose all of your existing hair forcing you to go with more HTs (you basically have no choice). I'm exactly 2 months post op and going through the "anxiety phase" where I question how it is going to turn out...and trying to determine if it is shock loss or permanent loss or scarring....probably the worst part of this entire experience. I don't think HT is a good option for those who still have a decent amount on their head because the procedure causes you to lose the rest at a more rapid pace than naturally. When you are practically bald you have nothing to lose...when you are not, you have something to lose and thats your original hair. I hope I don't have to wait longer than 6 months to see some results because this comb over hairstyle really sucks.

Bobbie

I also had my HT with Dr. Distefano with some growth at 4 months then a lot between mos 6-9. I have pics posted on this site to see.

How many did you have on your first procedure? I am told it may take as long as a year for full growth.

TMAN

Hi Eric,

I'm not really sure what my scar looks like. I have neve really seen it. However, I also have never had anyone tell me they could see it. So I would assume that it is a non-issue. However, if I can give you any advice, don't worry about what you can't see. Don't do the Ht for other people. Do them for yourself. If someone sees that you have a scar on the back of your head you can give them on of two answers in my opion. 1) take a hike! 2) If it is a hot girl, tell here it happened during a storm at sea while you were saving a bunch of children on a scuba trip!!! As far as your shock loss, don't worry about it. Mine was awful and it all came back. Don't forget though, the stuff that was already there could potentially fall out. It did with me and that is why I needed a second transplant. Finally, 2 months post op is nothing to worry about. From my studies, most peope don't see anything until at least 3-4 months.

Hi Telephone Man,

I would say that I am experiencing something similar to you. i have had some grouth in the last 2 months, just not as much as I hoped. During you 6-9mths post op, how appearent to you was it that you were seeing a lot of growth? Did you get a lot more itching during that time? Finally, thank you and everyone else that has responded to me so far. You are all real supportive people. I wish you all the best of luck, my thoughts are with you all!!!

Bobbie

Bobbie,

how was your experience with this Doc? did you end up with a fine line scar in the back? Is your head still numb?

Dear Eric,

The scar, from what I am told is very fine. The numbness is still somewhat there but it is only noticable if I start poking my head. I am so used to it that it doesn't bother me. However, I do not think the numbness is a direct result of the surgeon. It hink that everyone heals differently and some will have numbness longer then others. Overall, Dr. Distefano of Woster MA. is an outstanding surgeon. I has to HT with him and I would't go to anyone else. He is professional, gentle and he explains everything. On a scale of 1-10, 10 being the best, I would give Dr. DiStefano a 15. If you are thinking of using him, I would recommend it!

Bobbie

Hi guys,

I am also a Dr. D patient now at about 12 weeks. First off, good growth to all of you, since I know how hard this whole thing is.

My experience was very good overall, I give it high scores also, however I have no other reference so I defer to Bobbie for his multiple experiences. I had shockloss in the recipient area but it is now looking about where I was at baseline and I now see a lot of lighter hairs which is a promising sign.

I guess agree with BobbieD to say "do it for yourself" Eric you have been pretty vocal about your scar, have you posted any pics? If not go see the doc.

Tman is a great example of Dr. D's work, I also have a very small scar that I know of but I agree, what I don't see I could care less about...someday I would just have it fue'd if needed. I care most about framing my face.

Again, great to hear from you guys!

Dec. 2004 - 1938 Grafts via Strip

Feb. 2009 - 1002 Grafts via FUE

My vast experience with numerious surgeries, have shown that regrowth depends on the individual and differs with each HT. I've had regrowth as soon as 4 weeks with some FU never going dormant and growing from day 1, then I've had regrowth starting at month 8 and lasting until 18 months-- It all depends,

As stated above, on the average regrowth should start around 3-6 months.

Eastcoast,

I am speculating that you meant "vellous" hair and not "venus" hair?

Vellous hair is very short, fine, usually colorless hair. Hair transplant hair can come in as vellous hair shortly before it becomes terminal hair (thicker, and longer...the hair we all want icon_biggrin.gif).

If you look closely at your forehead under bright light you can usually see very fine, wispy colorless vellous hair even where there is not supposed to be hair. Minoxidil and other medication-induced hair starts out as vellous hair for a while before turning terminal also.

-Robert

------------------------------

Check out the results of my surgical hair restoration performed by Dr. Jerry Cooley by visiting my Hair Loss Weblog