Vitamin E Oil

DJS1

• 1 month later...

While I think vitamin E can significantly help scars, it is an instrument of the devil in thinning blood preop. Make sure your doc knows you are using it before you have surgery. I tell folks to come off 2 weeks preop.

I had a lady a few years ago on whom I did a facelift. She was thin, didn't bleed much. Generally, those patients do not bruise much at all if they wear their wrap.

At day 6, it looked like she had boxed Mike Tyson. Neither she nor I could figure out why. At a month, when she came in for pics, she told me that her other doc had asked her to rub a cream on her tummy tuck scar.....it was vitamin E oil; and almost certainly the cause of her terrible bruising. I can only imagine the oozing from 2500 slits that a vitamin E applier would have....

Dr. Lindsey McLean VA

William H. Lindsey, MD, FACS

McLean, VA

Dr. William Lindsey is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

Vitamin E oil should only be used post operatively. I tell my patients to wait until the sutures have removed before using it. Apply at night before bed and wash off in the morning. In the US it is sold in all vitamin stores and even grocery stores. I am sure it will be very easy to find in the UK.