Head shaved for HT, Scar question?

I'm scheduled for my 2nd HT with H&W (Dr. Wong) February 15th. My first HT was about a year ago and I received 1200 FUT's..........hindsight being 20/20 I would have researched further, traveled to what I percieved to be the best and gotten many more FU's.

All that aside, my understanding from my consultation is that if I want dense packing where there is existing hair I need to shave the recipient area (I agree with the reasoning on this). Now, I'm filling in the crown where I have little hair, but, if they harvest enough, I may get some dense packing in the front/temple/hairline area where I have some existing hair.

My plan is to clip all hair down to #3 (1/2") before the HT which will hopefully suffice. Then, if enough grafts are harvested for potential dense packing have them go ahead and shave the recipient area.

If the recipient area gets shaved, I plan to clip the sides and back to the length the recipient area has grown out to before returning to work. From your personal experience, how long before hair will cover the donor scar area??? Could you clip it to a #2 after 2 weeks and have it covered? How quick does hair grow?

I plan to take off work about 2 weeks for this but work in a professional environment and can't wear a hat. I want to conceal it as best I can. I'm probably being paranoid about this but really don't want coworkers to know.

This site has been a wealth of information to me. I appreciate all of your input.

Thanks,

Hairbank

Hairbank

1st HT 1-18-05 - 1200 FUT's

2nd HT 2-15-06 - 3886 FUT's Dr. Wong

3rd HT 4-24-08 - 2415 FUT's Dr. Wong

GRAND TOTAL: 7501 GRAFTS

current regimen: 1.25mg finasteride every other day

My Hair Loss Weblog

Disclaimer: I'm not a Doctor (and have never played one on TV ;) ) and have no medical training. Any information I share here is in an effort to help those who don't like hair loss.

I'm scheduled for my 2nd HT with H&W (Dr. Wong) February 15th. My first HT was about a year ago and I received 1200 FUT's..........hindsight being 20/20 I would have researched further, traveled to what I percieved to be the best and gotten many more FU's.

All that aside, my understanding from my consultation is that if I want dense packing where there is existing hair I need to shave the recipient area (I agree with the reasoning on this). Now, I'm filling in the crown where I have little hair, but, if they harvest enough, I may get some dense packing in the front/temple/hairline area where I have some existing hair.

My plan is to clip all hair down to #3 (1/2") before the HT which will hopefully suffice. Then, if enough grafts are harvested for potential dense packing have them go ahead and shave the recipient area.

If the recipient area gets shaved, I plan to clip the sides and back to the length the recipient area has grown out to before returning to work. From your personal experience, how long before hair will cover the donor scar area??? Could you clip it to a #2 after 2 weeks and have it covered? How quick does hair grow?

I plan to take off work about 2 weeks for this but work in a professional environment and can't wear a hat. I want to conceal it as best I can. I'm probably being paranoid about this but really don't want coworkers to know.

This site has been a wealth of information to me. I appreciate all of your input.

Thanks,

Hairbank

Hairbank

My Hair Loss Weblog

Disclaimer: I'm not a Doctor (and have never played one on TV ;) ) and have no medical training. Any information I share here is in an effort to help those who don't like hair loss.

Bank, after two weeks staples will be out and your incision site should be fairly clean. I must say that it took about 2 to 3 weeks for me to go invisible, but that meant I had to leave my sides longer than the top.I think I lasted a few weeks like that, and then I shaved everything off anyway. Clipping to a #2 is probably not the best idea, as you might experience some shockloss in that area as well. I know what you are going through, but trust me, people may look a bit, but they will go about their way, without much of a thought. The real problem begins when you start to sprout, then the questions begin!!!!

Go Cubs!

6721 transplanted grafts

13,906 hairs

Performed by Dr. Ron Shapiro

Dr. Ron Shapiro and Dr. Paul Shapiro are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

funny

I just had my first haircut 1 month after my 2nd HT procedure.. It is about a 3 guard or so and you cannot see anything..As far as how short to cut , it would depend on healing time as well as the density/color of the donor area.. After 3 months I could go very short on the sides and back

JOBI

1417 FUT - Dr. True

1476 FUT - Dr. True

2124 FUT - Dr. True

604 FUE - Dr. True

My views are based on my personal experiences, research and objective observations. I am not a doctor.

Total - 5621 FU's uncut!

Mrjb,

Did you shave the top of your head for your procedure? I know I shaved mine to a #1 day of surgery in order to achieve the best results. I waited for about two weeks or so after my staples came out, and then shaved down to a #1 to even everything out. It does depend on the person though, but now that I have have seen Banks photos he should be just fine. (Well his hair should, I don't know about the rest) icon_biggrin.gif

Go Cubs!

6721 transplanted grafts

13,906 hairs

Performed by Dr. Ron Shapiro

Dr. Ron Shapiro and Dr. Paul Shapiro are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

I had my hair cut with a #3 guard 6 weeks after my HT and the scar was still visible at the sides. It wasn't visible at the back where the density of my hair is about double that of the hair at the sides, so I think it depends on how dense your hair is around the donor scar.

PB

Get some Dermatch and/or Prothik and you should be able to conceal the scar. I wouldn't go too short with the buzzing. Start off with a #4 or even a #6 and go from there.

My goal (and I may be dreaming here) is to be able to match the sides and back, as close as possible, to the length it will have grown to on the top in 2 weeks time (when I must return to work).

My concern is if they end up having to shave it for dense packing. I'm going into the procedure clipping all hair down to a #3(1/2"). If they shave the top, I'm guessing it will only grow 1/8" to 1/4" in two weeks time at the very best. My hair on sides and back is pretty thick.........but I'm not sure I'll be able to blend it into the top by that time without the scar showing. I have ordered some Dermmatch and I'm sure it will help a little.

Hairbank

My Hair Loss Weblog

The reason they may shave the top of my head would be for dense packing since I'm hoping for at least 3000 grafts and maybe up to 5000 if they can get it.

This is the link for dermmatch that I used:

https://www.dermmatch.com/HowToOrder.htm

I think it's $29 per disc and right now it's buy one/get one for free.

Good luck w/ your HT!

Hairbank

My Hair Loss Weblog

Hairbank,

Yesterday I received 1500 graphs from Dr Rose in Tampa. I was a nw2-3... He did not shave my hair and the results were perfect.I had the hairline and forelock done. I had long hair so it was easy to cover up and I am returning to work on Friday (3 days post op)... This site has been a tremendous help to me and I believe that Dr Rose and his staff are amongst the best out there. He also used the "ledge" technique in my existing scar which hopefully will reduce it's apperance. Good Luck

Rottun,

Congrats to you! Looks like I'll be about a week behind you in the recovery process. Do you have any pics to post? I'll be anxious to see your progress.

I think the head shaving thing is just a preference for doc's. At H&W, they do it in order to avoid unnecessarily damaging any other hairs during the process............and, possibly to determine "hair pattern" (I think, anyway).

For those of you having questions/concerns about shaving the head prior to the procedure, check out Jotronics website at:

http://www.hairtransplantmentor.com/

I can't remember for sure, I think it's his 2nd HT...........check out the scar after clipping to about a #2 or so at the two week mark.....barely detectable. Anyway, with the new trichophytic closure method...and this example I was put at ease.

Hairbank

My Hair Loss Weblog

Originally posted by hairbank:

I think the head shaving thing is just a preference for doc's. At H&W, they do it in order to avoid unnecessarily damaging any other hairs during the process............and, possibly to determine "hair pattern" (I think, anyway).

These are not the only reasons. Suggest you read the excellent article written by Dr Hasson on this subject. It can be found here.

3045 FUs with Dr Victor Hasson on 8 June 2004

1836 FUs with Dr Jeffrey Epstein on 2 March 2006

Regimen: 1.25mg Proscar every other day

Thanks for the follow-up to my post, Hairworthy. I had skimmed this article but, as sometimes happens, the details didn't stick with me!

I highly recommend anyone who is having, or considering, a HT in the near future to read this.

Originally posted by hairworthy:
Originally posted by hairbank:

These are not the only reasons. Suggest you read the excellent article written by Dr Hasson on this subject. It can be found here.

Hairbank

My Hair Loss Weblog