How to sleep after HT?

I took a bunch of pillows, so I was sleeping at around a 25-degree angle. I also had two rolled up sleeping bags on each side of me and the neck pillow. All these things kept me from rolling over...a little OCD, but no lost grafts as far as I know.

Here is a pic: http://hair-restoration-info.c...1060693/IMG_1554.JPG

My initial HT thread:

done and done!! Check it out...

I "slept" in a lazyboy with a neck pillow for the first 72 hours...After, with lots of pillows like Eman. Once the sutures were out, after 14 days in my case, sleeping was much easier.

chan123

I recommend my patients use an airplane pillow around their neck after surgery. The airplane pillow is soft enough to minimize irritation and discomfort at the donor site while keeping the grafts safe from any rubbing of the pillow. If the crown was transplanted, an airplane pillow can still be used, but it must be used with caution to minimize any forces that can dislodge the grafts.

I also recommend that my patients sleep in a more upright position (30 degrees or so) to help with the swelling.

Steven Gabel, MD, FACS, FISHRS

Diplomate, American Board of Hair Restoration Surgery

Diplomate, American Board of Facial Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery

Diplomate, American College of Surgeons

Gabel Hair Restoration Center

Portland, Oregon

503-693-1118

Email Dr. Gabel directly at drgabel@gabelcenter.com

Dr. Gabel's Website

Dr. Steven Gabel is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

I can understand the concern about shedding grafts the first few nights due to aggressive rubbing with the pillows.

However aside from elevating my head with a couple of pillows I did not take any additional precautions to speak of. Luckily I did not see any lost grafts or blood the following mornings following my procedure.

perhaps I achieved suitable immobilization through a generous dose of pain killers. icon_smile.gif

Also, you might want to wear socks over your hands to prevent from scratching at night...

Sounds weird, but imagine you're dreaming about scratching your head, and realize with horror, that you're actually doing it!!!

Also, you could ask your HT doctor to give you a sleeping pill for the night "before" your HT... often that night is difficult, anxieties, etc...

good luck

I just had my HT surgery yesterday and I found that falling asleep last night wasn't an issue at all. Eman gave me some good advice and I followed his stacked pillows method. I slept at a 40-45 degree angle with 3 pillows behind me, but I also used TWO airline pillows around my neck; an inflatable one on the bottom (more sturdy and supportive at the base of the neck) and a softer one on top for cushioning. It worked well.

I slept about 4-5 hours, woke up and then took a Temazepam sleeping pill, then went to sleep for another 4-5 hours. In all honesty, I didn't need the Temazepam, but I just wanted to preempt any potential sleeping disturbances, in case they occurred (they didn't) and get the best night's sleep possible.

In order to avoid rolling or falling, I simply stacked the 3 pillows right in the very center of the bed and kept my feet and legs spread out wider than usual as I slept, with my hands placed palms down on the bed on either side of me. Both elbows were also in contact with the bed. Didn't have any troubles and I'm actually surprised I slept so well, as I can be a bit of an insomniac!