Right after surgery - how to deal at workplace

Gentlemen/Ladies,

I am heavily contemplating getting a hair transplant procedure done.

However I have just one concern. I work in a corporate environment.

Right now I keep my head shaven. But after the transplant, 2-3 months down when your newly planted roots begin to grow, isint the hair going to look weird ?

I mean, just a few hair growing here and there, it's going to look real ugly.

How does one deal with this ?

Greg,

I work in a professional/corporate environment as well. Actually, you're probably in an ideal situation since you clip your hair down currently since people are used to seeing you with little or no hair. You'll need to let your hair grow out 1/2" or so before the HT to cover the donor scar anyway.................then you can just keep it clipped to 1/2" until the HT really starts coming in then let it all grow out. I would think most people would think "oh, there's Greg who used to always clip his hair down, now he's letting it grow out.....wow, looks pretty darn good (had to throw that in)!"

I was the reverse............I wore my hair 1-2" in length, they had to shave the recipient area for my HT, then I had to clip the rest down to match so it was a much different look for me than people were used to. A few people noticed the first day or so then nothing....old news. Trust me..........we're much more interested in how we appear than others are.

Hairbank

1st HT 1-18-05 - 1200 FUT's

2nd HT 2-15-06 - 3886 FUT's Dr. Wong

3rd HT 4-24-08 - 2415 FUT's Dr. Wong

GRAND TOTAL: 7501 GRAFTS

current regimen: 1.25mg finasteride every other day

My Hair Loss Weblog

Disclaimer: I'm not a Doctor (and have never played one on TV ;) ) and have no medical training. Any information I share here is in an effort to help those who don't like hair loss.

you will look odd for two-three months; there's no way around it, unless you have plenty of existing hair that can mask a small procedure. In your case, the scar is the main issue until the hair grows.

When the hair starts coming, then you will actually start to look normal. As far as shaving: you can pretty much forget that as a from ear-to-ear scar will be visible with short hair, especially during the first few months. After a few months you might be able to hide it with a #3 cut, but anything shorter will likely expose the scar.

Bite the bullet and go for it. One way would be to explain it to your supervisors or close friends, and see if you can wear a stylish hat, if not, they will not ask questions when they see you back at work. Key is to thinking ahead: think of how much better you'll look 3-12 months after and suck it up.

Originally posted by GregPorche:

Gentlemen/Ladies,

I am heavily contemplating getting a hair transplant procedure done.

However I have just one concern. I work in a corporate environment.

Right now I keep my head shaven. But after the transplant, 2-3 months down when your newly planted roots begin to grow, isint the hair going to look weird ?

I mean, just a few hair growing here and there, it's going to look real ugly.

How does one deal with this ?

The new hair actually looks very nice when it comes it. It comes in as baby fine hair and begins to grow, so it looks very natural. It doen't look unusual at all, even if it is not all coming in at the same time.

2700 Total Grafts w/ Keene 9/28/05

663 one's = 663

1116 two's = 2232

721 three's = 2163

200 four's = 800

Hair Count = 5858

1000 Total Grafts w/Keene 2/08/07

Mostly combined FU's for 2600+ hairs

My Photo Album

See me at Dr. Keene's Gallery

I plan to take a week off right after surgery.

Can this week be used to grow hair at the donor area and hide the scar. I have about people complaining the the hair around does not grow for 3-4 months.

The way I am seated in office, the entire floor here will notice whats going on.

Covering the donar scar depends on your pre-exisint hair length back there. You'll need it fairly long to cover it. You are refering to some donar area shock loss. It happens, but not always. Again, longer hair in the area will cover that also. There is no way you can grow enough hair in a week to make a difference. So you must have your hair the proper length beforehand.,

663 one's = 663

1116 two's = 2232

721 three's = 2163

200 four's = 800

Hair Count = 5858

My Photo Album

Just when I got myself sort of mentally prepared for the transplant, I got this other thing to worry abt now.

Being only 27, I am already poked fun of enough at work.

I guess John_in_NC is right..I got to suck it up

Greg you and I are in the same shoes. I am also 27 working in a corporate environment. I ended up taking 3 weeks off to get my HT done, I told everyone that I was going on a holiday in the states (which was actually true :-).

I believe I needed the 3 weeks off work for no one to notice because I had to shave down the thinning horseshoe behind my tuff so I could get some density added there. So my real problem was the uneven hair length behind my front tuff. The recipient area healed well within the first 7-10 days. Apart from that the shaved area around the donor was also noticeable because I didnt leave my hair long before the procedure.

At the end of the day, I just added some dermmatch for the first 2 weeks back at work (3 weeks post op) and no one had a clue. From then on it has been undetectable ever since.

As for now, 3 months post op - everything is good, the new hair is a little thinner and lighter but really no one would be able to tell the difference at all. I was also worried about the new hair being noticeable but in reality it grows back so gradually that no one would have a clue that anything has changed between one day and the next.

1344 grafts with Ron Shapiro - June 2006

Greg,

I totally agree with Gorpy and JakeVig's advice to you. You definitely need to grow your hair out ahead of time. Plan your procedure with as much time off as possible like JakeVig. Not all of us can take a 3 week vacation however! Try this - schedule your procedure for a Friday. Take that Friday off and the following week. That gives you 10 days to recover. The scar will be covered by your hair and the recipient redness will be mostly gone. Later when you have a lot more hair, some people may notice. It's a lot easier to tell people then (if you choose to) because your hair will be looking a lot better.

I can definitely relate to this post. Actually, it's the main reason why I decided to do my procedure in a two-phase process, but I don't have a shaved head and my existing hair covers the first procedure I had done.

In your case, I don't think there's any way to conceal the surgery. I agree with JohnH, you should schedule your HT just prior to a vacation. This will give the recipient area time to heal and hopefully most of the redness will dissapate by the time you return to work. People will notice, but in less than a year you will start growing new hair. After that, no one will remember...and if they do, they will be amazed at the new head of hair you have. 1 year is a very short span of time in the greater scheme of things. We often let our work environments control and influence many aspects of our lives, but sometimes you have to remember what is important to you, not your corporate environment. So take the plunge, deal with the initial comments and stares and look forward to making yourself happier in the long run.

gp,

first I would ask what size procedure you are looking to get, as that will play a significant role in how long it will take you to again look "normal". as for my self I would highly recommend getting two weeks off (as that will most likely coincide with your staple/suture removal date). If hat is out of the question at work...look into concealers and search for threads like the one you posted to see as many suggestions as possible. the more prepared your are after your ht, the easier life will be trust me if you are looking for more then 2k you will want some time to heal stress free.

my 2c

Do you have much hair now? Some hair on top can cover a lot and go a long ways. Down time was huge for me to, Im in front of clients all the time and my appearance does count. I went to shapiro and they didnt shave my head, just gave me a short haircut and it worked, I had a party for my son with about 25 peeple at my home hatless and noone knew i had this done and a head full of stitches. A major factor is how much hair you have on top and, I have olive skin so i didnt have really any reddness. The reddness can linger for some a long time. I think mega session would be out if you want a quick recovery.

I definately plan to go for a mega session.

Currenlty I keep my hair really short (see picture). Keeping it long doesnt make sense since I get a horse shoe pattern and thts def not the in-look for 27 yr olds icon_smile.gif

I have received some good advice on this forum

Here's my plan:

I'll grow my hair long on the back at the donor region for abt 3 weeks before the surgery. Will try and schedule something before some long weekend. Week after tht is off. So eventually will aim for 12 days off. Hopefully the redness should disappear in this time. Will also use some hair product to further give me some cover.

Guys does this sound realistic ?

2006-front-side.JPG.8fb9521438c0fbf6806c21a79e31a441.JPG

I definately plan to go for a mega session.

Currenlty I keep my hair really short (see picture). Keeping it long doesnt make sense since I get a horse shoe pattern and thts def not the in-look for 27 yr olds icon_smile.gif

I have received some good advice on this forum

Here's my plan:

I'll grow my hair long on the back at the donor region for abt 3 weeks before the surgery. Will try and schedule something before some long weekend. Week after tht is off. So eventually will aim for 12 days off. Hopefully the redness should disappear in this time. Will also use some hair product to further give me some cover.

Guys does this sound realistic ?

Given your skin tone, you should be fine color wise after 12 days, if not, there's always fake tanning cream. By then the grafts are settled and you can pretty much do anything. Like I said before, there's no easy way, just less emabraasing ways. Think of the nice hairline you'll have in 5-6 month, and the much better one in less than a year; all the temporary embarrasment is nothign compare to this.

Just one more thing. As Babyscholar says, it also depends on the procedure size. If you are going for a fairly large procedure, you can expect the donar strip to be very long, like 25 to 33 cm long. So you'll need your side hair long too, not just the back. Measure that out on your head, 10 to 13 inches. It's a lot!

663 one's = 663

1116 two's = 2232

721 three's = 2163

200 four's = 800

Hair Count = 5858

My Photo Album

Gorpy its bay not baby...found it funny being as I only have a handful of post (you taken a shot at me?...just kidding)

GP,

I guess that point I would hammer home to you, is a mega session is not walk in the park and should be given the utmost respect (if you have seen OFFICE SPACE the movie ??“ think of when the two programs Michael and Sameer get the breakdown on minimal security prison from and attorney playing the Jonnie Cochran role... "minimum security prison is no cake walk... the key is to kick some ones ass or become someones bitch".... same applies to ht do your research or become some ones bitch). If you for example go for more then 4k you will need to be very very patient, first couple of months you will see your self go backwards before you go forward. Also as others have stated grow you hair out longer before hand.... 3 weeks may not be enough to cover a strip 1.5cm or wider at a length of 25+ cm. In closing ht are not exact no matter what any one tells you, how your body takes to transplanted grafts, healing time, shock loss, and growth rates greatly vary from person to person. That is why researching your butt off before hand and waiting an extra month or two to do it for example may be the best thing possible (if you have done tons of research no disrespect intended again just my 2c).

4724 Dr.Hasson July 19th-06

32cm strip length- 2cm width

Hair count = ? .... Will update after I have my follow up visit as best I can. (No disrespect meant at all, I have nothing but positive things to say about HW-Dr.Hasson)