FUE or FUT

I'm considering a second touch-up procedure of less than 1k grafts, probably 700-800. I've already had a strip procedure of a about 2k around a year ago. Therefore, I guess that my question is should I go with fut since I already have the scar, or should I go fue for such a small procedure? I've been told by my Dr. that in the fue procedure I'll pay more but heal faster as opposed to paying about half the fee and going through the discomfort of the strip method. I've also been informed that the Dr. will need to shave a section of the back of my head in the fue procedure, but my Dr. said if I grow my hair long enough it won't be noticable. I'm leaning toward the strip method again since I already have an unnoticable scar, but I'm not crazy about the discomfort I went through with my last procedure, although everything is fine now. Therefore, I would like to here from people that have had similar situations or from anyone knowledgable about the pros and cons of this dilemma.

Hi bananas-- because you have already undergone strip, unless you are adverse to the post-op discomfort, strip would be a solid choice.

Additionally, the resulting scar will in all likelihood be as nice as before.

However, buzzing down the lower portion of the donor to get 700-800 grafts would be a fairly easy surgery and not worrying about post-op staples or stretching of an already excellent scar is a benefit as well.

In your case it simply comes down to choice--- for example at SMG your cost for 800 strip grafts would be 3600.00

For 800 FUE grafts your cost would be 4300.00

Your in a great position from a cost and procedure point of view... to choose whichever method you feel is best.

The only downside of choosing a strip session is the post-op discomfort and you must limit your physical activity for a longer period of time to prevent any stretching.

Take Care,

Jason

Go Cubs!

6721 transplanted grafts

13,906 hairs

Performed by Dr. Ron Shapiro

Dr. Ron Shapiro and Dr. Paul Shapiro are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

i think you should go with fue...

1. you can use donor hair that is not available through strip

2. faster healing time

3. reserve donors for another strip later if need be...i say dont do strip unless you intend to use all donor hair available from a strip...i.e. 2500-3500

only downfalls would be cost and successful yields

Thanks for the advice guys. However, one of my issues is the price. It's hard to justify paying twice as much for the fue than strip, but saving donar hair does make sense plus the short down time, especially in the summer. By the way, I don't quite understand the shaving part. I wear my hair in the back anywhere from half an inch to sometimes two inches. I don't understand how the shaving wouldn't be noticable? What part of the back of my head would the dr. get the relativaly small number of grafts from?

the grafts can be selected from the back or sides (just above the ears)

their is scarring as a result of fue...but it is so small that it is un detectable...however im told if you shave it using a straight razor blade the tiny scars show as white dots.

i only recommend fue because if another strip method is done you risk all of those hairs plus the hairs that may be lost in the incision!!

Hmnn, interesting.

moses- Isn't the survival rate overwhelmingly better with Strip than FUE? How are you "losing" the hairs?

My only worry would be that the scar could result a bit wider due to increased tension. If you have decent laxity though this shouldn't occur.

Would there be any difference in doing the strip now...and possibly using the FUE method as a back-up in the future?

Isn't the survival rate overwhelmingly better with Strip than FUE? How are you "losing" the hairs

Huh?? Where is the proof for for this (blanket)statement? I had strip bad yield. Maybe 20% growth if I was lucky. Bad doctor is what it came down too. Then Fue after percentage growth mid to high 90's I would say been wearing on my head for over 6 years still looks great. It all comes down to doctors skill and technique.

Sorry, didn't mean for it to be a "blanket" statement.

I was under the impression that the yield from Strip "on average" was better than the yield for FUE. Obviously every case was different. Maybe I am completely wrong.

Anyone else want to chime in?

For a session of this size a typical patient should experience no difference in yield ---for strip patients in the hands of a top clinic the yield should be near 99-100% ---FUE might be slightly lower, but it seems most yield issues result from the improper handling of the grafts vs extraction.

When you have staff that is extremely experienced, caring, and detail orientated this should not be a problem.

I think once you start talking about doing 2-3-4-5K of FUE per day, the yield/transection rate is logically going to go up---FUE grafts are unprotected, whereas strip grafts are encased in the strip/sliver and are less susceptible to damage.

Once you force yourself and staff to hurry up or move faster to accommodate larger graft sessions, you keep the grafts outside the body longer (which will impact growth/yield) and the risk factor for damage increases.

In our case, by keeping the sessions 700-1000 per day, no hurry, relaxed, we find we get the grafts and get them back in the body in a proper time-frame. This also is conducive to gently handling the more fragile grafts as well.

The same applies to strip--in a top clinic doing 1000-1500-2000 grafts is not much of a challenge, but as you increase the session size, you increase the risk factors as well--clinics that are prepared and experienced minimize these risks and the results show accordingly.

Again, if you approach FUE properly and use it properly, there should be little difference, unless a patient has some characteristic that makes them a poor candidate at the start.

Take Care,

Jason

Go Cubs!

6721 transplanted grafts

13,906 hairs

Dr. Ron Shapiro and Dr. Paul Shapiro are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

Franklin (and all),

Most leading surgeons still agree that the average FUT yield is superior over average FUE yield. This is due to the extra forces placed on the follicles which is only exacerbated by the somewhat blind extraction process with FUE. As the B Spot pointed out, FUE grafts are also more fragile due to the lack of supporting tissue as opposed to FUT grafts, which could result in damage during placement if the technicians aren't extra careful. This is another reason why extremely large FUE sessions increase the overall risk of damage, thus, reducing the chances of optimal growth.

Ultimately, in some cases, FUE will result in yield equal to that of FUT. However, the issue is consistency. FUT is highly consistent whereas FUE consistency is questionable.

I am not anti-FUE. I just feel based on all that I've read and seen that though it certainly has a place, it's certainly not going to become a replacement for strip, at least not anytime soon.

Best wishes,

Bill

This is another reason why extremely large FUE sessions increase the overall risk of damage

I agree with this statement "LARGE Fue Sessions" like B-Spot has also stated "I think once you start talking about doing 2-3-4-5K of FUE per day, the yield/transection rate is logically going to go up"can lead to more transections But from what I have seen and depending on Doctor clinic on how long they been doing this procedure you can get several thousand in a weeks time. I am not a supporter of the one day Fue meggasession.

I am completely behind FUE as an option, and my opinion is that it needs to be presented to the patient, regardless if a clinic offers it or not. I would hope clinics are doing this, regardless of bias toward the procedure.

Like Bill said, strip has shown to be more consistent, which I agree with. Almost every patient can achieve excellent results via strip, with FUE that is not always the case.

However, the fact is FUE approached properly is amazingly proficient. If the patient is candidate and the approach is well thought out--there is no reason not to choose FUE.

Like anything else, FUE has been over-hyped and is currently being over-sold as "scarless" "for every patient" "increases the donor" etc..

In fact, using FUE alone may reduce the amount of available grafts, produce white dots and is not for every patient.

But, with that said, there are patients that truly benefit from this procedure, and, there are patients who desire this approach regardless.

I am a supporter of both strip and fue in the hands of top clinics. Those who rail against FUE as a non-option are uninformed. Those who use fear-mongering to rail against strip are wrong as well.

I am happy to discuss the merits of FUE on another thread, for the original poster--the question is "Do I do strip or FUE" ---the only drawback to doing strip is #1--he has an amazing scar already #2 post-op discomfort

The only drawback to fue is #1 slightly more cost #2 shaving the donor area below the existing scar to reach the grafts.

Like I said earlier, the likely option is just to do a small strip session. But FUE represents another option to be considered as well.

Take Care,

Jason

Go Cubs!

6721 transplanted grafts

13,906 hairs

I also agree - a well managed FUE session of 1000 will have similar results as a 1000 strip. My evidence is as good as those who suggest otherwise since they always compare the yield of very high FUE sessions with strip.

1000 FUE was a breeze and I would do them monthly if I could!

Originally posted by Franklin:
This is another reason why extremely large FUE sessions increase the overall risk of damage

I agree with this statement "LARGE Fue Sessions" like B-Spot has also stated "I think once you start talking about doing 2-3-4-5K of FUE per day, the yield/transection rate is logically going to go up"can lead to more transections But from what I have seen and depending on Doctor clinic on how long they been doing this procedure you can get several thousand in a weeks time. I am not a supporter of the one day Fue meggasession.

Dec. 2004 - 1938 Grafts via Strip

Feb. 2009 - 1002 Grafts via FUE

FUE or FUT that was a pretty easy question a few years ago. It is easy to see which method is favored; by the ratio of doctors who perform the Strip Method over FUE.

But for those who are not familar with the NeoGraft Automated FUE Hair Transplant System (see video link)

(promotional link removed)

This brings new attention to large session FUE procedures. And offers the patient more options when considering which way to go.

Within the next year or two this method of Hair Transplants will be more widly known, talked about and copied. If anyone would like any more info let me know.

Thanks

Doug

Note: I work for NeoGraft

Note: I work for NeoGraft

• 2 weeks later...

Regardless if I go fut or fue to make my hairline denser,(around 800 grafts), what do you think the chances are that I'll receive shock loss in the recipient area going with fue, or both recipient and donar areas going with fut? I would hope that such a minimal amount of grafts wouldn't cause much concern?

i'm in the same boat. I just need about 1000 or so just to fill in a little. I would not do another strip for only 1000 grafts. So FUE is the choice for me if i end up having another procedure. The 12 month recuperation period is a bit much for such a small yield in my opinion

JOBI

1417 FUT - Dr. True

1476 FUT - Dr. True

2124 FUT - Dr. True

604 FUE - Dr. True

My views are based on my personal experiences, research and objective observations. I am not a doctor.

Total - 5621 FU's uncut!

Mr. Jobi,

It took you 12 months to recuperate? I'm not sure if that's the norm. My strip only took me a few months, maybe 4-5 to recuperate and have my scar basically undetectable. I'm actually looking at a cost comparison. I'm leaning towards strip there's a lot I could do with the extra $2500. in savings for the couple of months of discomfort. Anyone else want to add to this?

I'm talking 100% recuperation i.e. the scar. Going through the scar healing is a bit of a pain (no pun intended)

JOBI

1417 FUT - Dr. True

1476 FUT - Dr. True

2124 FUT - Dr. True

604 FUE - Dr. True

My views are based on my personal experiences, research and objective observations. I am not a doctor.

Total - 5621 FU's uncut!

Funny Mr.Jobi. However, even though it's literally a pain, I don't feel-no pun- that it took me 12 months to heal. It really hasn't even been 12 months since my last surgery. In fact, the donar area feels fine, it's the recipient area that still feels a bit numb in places. Therefore, my issue wouldn't be with the donar area healing anyway. But it is true that you have to be a lot more careful with strip, although I was chopping wood 10 days after surgery once the sutures were removed and my scar is barely noticable. Therefore, it's somewhat of a judgemnt call on my part to go fue or fut. I guess that I have to judge the comparisons between the more discomfort and down time with fut or the basically pain free procedure with less down time but more than twice as much money with fue. I just figure for a savings of about $2500+ strip seems like a bargain, otherwise, if I had, or was willing to spend the extra $, I would probably go fue.

For me it really take about 1 year to heal completely. No doubt for 1000 or less I would go FUE.

JOBI

1417 FUT - Dr. True

1476 FUT - Dr. True

2124 FUT - Dr. True

604 FUE - Dr. True

Total - 5621 FU's uncut!