New hair loss articles

Robert_

This is a call to all forum members. In staying up-to-date with all hair restoration and hair loss developments, I would like to know what kind of articles would you want to read. I know, I know...the article you want to see is HAIR LOSS CURED!!! AFROS FOR EVERYONE! but we aren't quite there yet.

Post your suggestions and/or ideas below.

Thanks,

-Robert

------------------------------

Check out the results of my surgical hair restoration performed by Dr. Jerry Cooley by visiting my Hair Loss Weblog

This is a call to all forum members. In staying up-to-date with all hair restoration and hair loss developments, I would like to know what kind of articles would you want to read. I know, I know...the article you want to see is HAIR LOSS CURED!!! AFROS FOR EVERYONE! but we aren't quite there yet.

Post your suggestions and/or ideas below.

Thanks,

-Robert

Check out the results of my surgical hair restoration performed by Dr. Jerry Cooley by visiting my Hair Loss Weblog

Hair Transplant issues for the younger patient

Why you should avoid the standard Mini-Micro approach

I'd like to see 'consumer advocate" type articles that try to instill realistic expectations.

There are a lot of good research papers out there that relay this information (you have some good papers in the research library here). It would be good to have articles that summed them up and brought their findings together in one place, and explained it in language that everyone can understand. Some guys don't have the time to read all the research, or maybe they can't boil down the scientific conclusions into practical info they can use.

For example there is a great paper by Bernstein and Rassman that mathematically explains why Minigrafts don't result in more density, just bigger spaces between grafts. Minigrafts do have a lot of density (within the actual graft itself) however this does not add up to density as far as your total coverage. They are also an inefficient way to use your donor hair, based on the fact that each graft excedes the "50%" visual guideline.

However the paper that explains this is long and may be too deep for some readers to absorb.

Originally posted by Brando:

Maybe some Hair Multiplication articles.

Brando!

Long time, no see bud! It's good to have you back on the forums!

I think you will be pleasantly suprised with what I am cooking up in regards to your suggestion.

-Robert

Originally posted by arfy:

Hair Transplant issues for the younger patient

Why you should avoid the standard Mini-Micro approach

I'd like to see 'consumer advocate" type articles that try to instill realistic expectations.

There are a lot of good research papers out there that relay this information (you have some good papers in the research library here). It would be good to have articles that summed them up and brought their findings together in one place, and explained it in language that everyone can understand. Some guys don't have the time to read all the research, or maybe they can't boil down the scientific conclusions into practical info they can use.

For example there is a great paper by Bernstein and Rassman that mathematically explains why Minigrafts don't result in more density, just bigger spaces between grafts. Minigrafts do have a lot of density (within the actual graft itself) however this does not add up to density as far as your total coverage. They are also an inefficient way to use your donor hair, based on the fact that each graft excedes the "50%" visual guideline.

However the paper that explains this is long and may be too deep for some readers to absorb.

Awesome input, Arfy. I will definitely be looking into this. Thanks.

-Robert

I agree with Arfy. I haven't read article by Bernstein and Rassman, but I am really starting to understand that having smaller grafts dense packed than having less larger grafts gives you more dense look.

Also, I think this forum should have articles about the 'Actual' procedure. I think most people here are very educated about the Hair Transplantations and what to look for in a good doctor, but I don't think lot of people have the knowledge of what actually goes on once you're in the chair. I mean lot of things. Such as what kind of medicines are given for what purposes, what kind of magnifacations doctors use, how doctors make incisicions, what kind of blades are used in different cases etc. I think we're more focused on over all understanding, but we can learn more the technical aspect of the procedure.

Also, we should also have more articles about younger patients. I mean all doctors have different philosophy when it comes to younger patients because younger patients are the ones at the higher risk by getting HT.

KG

Hello Everyone -

Since we're talking about the articles that may help educate everyone here curing hair loss, I came across this article that drinking caffeine may actually help prevent hairloss. Now I don't know if I can really believe that. I am a moderate Coffee drinker, and I always thought that Caffeine is not good for one's health.

[promotional links removed by forum moderator; articles transcribed below - Robert]

I hope you guys find these articles informative.

Thanks,

KG

Food: A caffeine cure for hair loss

by Julia Watson; WashingtonTimes.com

Washington, DC, Dec. 7 (UPI) -- Britain's Prince William -- the brother who looks like a fairy tale hero, not the carrot-topped tabloid-press bad boy -- needs more coffee in his life. On his head.

Concern about his receding hairline is apparently the reason the eventual heir to the English throne has taken up the baseball cap as his interim crown. Research shows he can safely cast it aside, to display tousled golden locks whose retreat will be stabilized -- so long as he rubs his head regularly with coffee.

A German study just published reveals that treating the scalp with caffeine products can stop men from going bald.

Professor Peter Elsner is part of the team at the Jena University in the state of Thuringia that has been working on the problem. The stimulant, he says, has the most effect on men whose hair roots are very sensitive to testosterone, one of the causes of hair loss. (You can expect the British tabloids to leap at the chance of writing "Prince William" and "testosterone" in the same sentence.)

However, before follicle-sensitive men start reaching for extra cups of Joe, just drinking more won't work. It would take 60 to 80 cups a day to equal the amount of caffeine found in caffeinated hair products now being developed to treat the problem. Yes, the prince will not need to rub the liquid into his scalp. Adolf Klenk of Kurt Wolff cosmetic research said that men who are frightened that they may lose their hair should start treating their scalps with caffeine while they are still young. Prince William take note.

It's not the first time caffeine has been promoted as a cure. Before 1000 AD, the nomad Galla tribe of Ethiopia realized their consumption of a local berry they ground into a ball with animal fat was giving them an energy charge. Later, Arab traders used the ground bean in a boiled drink they called "qahwa" -- "sleep preventer." By the 15th century, the habit of roasting and grinding coffee into a drink had spread to Egypt and Turkey, where a woman had the right to a divorce if her husband did not allow her a daily supply of coffee.

These days it's the Finns who drink the most per capita of the 400 billion cups that are consumed annually worldwide. In the United States, three quarters of caffeine consumption comes from coffee -- a surprisingly high figure when you consider how much caffeine appears in sodas. Men are slightly ahead of women, at 1.7 cups a day, against 1.5. Breakfast is the time when the most is drunk -- 57 percent, with 13 percent at other meals and another large percentage in between.

Of all coffee beans, Robusta, grown in low altitudes primarily in Central and West Africa, is the most common. It accounts for 75 percent of the world's coffee and is used as the base for higher-quality specialty blends and in canned and instant coffee. Arabica, more expensive, is the other familiar variety, a superior bean with greater flavor, grown at higher altitudes in East Africa, Indonesia and South America.

But the most expensive beans are Kopi Luwak, which can cost as much as $300 a pound. They are found in the droppings of a picky marsupial which will only eat the best beans on the bush.

Like so much of what we consume, coffee has had its ups and downs in the health stakes. Once cast as a cause of cellulite puckering on women's thighs, there is now strong support for it helping diminish that same fat. It is said to have been found to be to help newborn babies with breathing difficulties and to speed up post-operative recovery in those patients who drink the stuff regularly.

If Prince William does opt for pouring coffee over his receding locks, he should take care to make sure it contains no milk substitute. Coffee creamer is extremely flammable.

-Robert

CAFFEINE - a patient's guide

Editorial Team; Medic8.com

Overview:

Caffeine is a stimulant and is safe in small doses

Large doses of caffeine can cause unpleasant side effects such as insomnia and anxiety

Large amounts of caffeine may be associated with low birth weight in babies when combined with smoking

Consuming large amounts of coffee is also linked with hip fractures and low bone density

Caffeine withdrawal can cause headaches, irritability and tiredness

What is it?

Caffeine is an alkaloid, which is a compound found in cola nuts, cacao beans, tea and other plants.

The caffeine is present in different amounts according to the different plant sources.

Caffeine stimulates the central nervous system, heart muscle and respiratory system. It has diuretic effects (increased urine) and delays fatigue.

Theophylline and theobromine are other alkaloids, which are also present in some drinks. These compounds are very similar in chemical structure to caffeine.

Theophylline is found in small amounts in tea but has a stronger effect on the heart and respiratory system than caffeine.

Theobromine is found in cocoa products and small amounts in tea, and is mainly responsible for the stimulating effects in cocoa products.

Caffeine tablets such as NoDoz can be obtained without a prescription and are used to increase alertness.

Caffeine has been used as a weight-loss aid in the past because of its ability to improve metabolism. But it has not been used for this purpose for many years because there is no evidence that it helps people to lose weight.

Caffeine is also used in combination with painkillers such as aspirin to provide headache relief, but there is little evidence for its use for this purpose.

How much is too much?

A high intake of caffeine at once can cause caffeine-induced mental disorder. The symptoms include restlessness, nervousness, excitement, insomnia, stomach upset, muscle twitching, incoherent speech, heart palpitations and excessive alertness.

In most cases an overdose of caffeine will not kill you. However, it can be fatal. A lethal dose is estimated at 10 grams. However, a toxic dose will vary from person to person.

Even at much lower doses, too much caffeine can have unwanted side effects.

If you are drinking more than 10 cups of coffee a day you should seriously consider reducing your intake.

Moderate caffeine consumption is considered to be about 300 mg, which is equivalent to 3 cups of coffee, and varies depending on the strength of the coffee.

The American Medical Association has reported that moderate coffee drinkers should not be concerned about their health provided they also lead a healthy lifestyle.

There is no evidence linking caffeine consumption to cancer or heart disease. Some recent research has suggested caffeine may increase homocysteine levels (a risk factor for heart disease). The actual clinical implications of this are unknown at present.

Coffee consumption can cause a rise in blood pressure for a few hours in people sensitive to the effects of caffeine, but this is less than what is normally experienced from climbing stairs. However, patients with high blood pressure should talk to their doctor about caffeine consumption.

Large caffeine consumption in the elderly has been linked to an increased risk of hip fracture and loss of bone density.

It may also aggravate the effects of irritable bowel syndrome.

High coffee consumption has also been linked to problems in pregnancy. Caffeine has caused birth defects in rats when consumed at a comparable level of 70 cups a day for humans. There is no evidence that caffeine is linked to birth defects in human babies.

The strongest evidence is that caffeine may reduce a baby's birth weight. However, this effect is confined to mothers who also smoke during pregnancy, and even then the evidence is borderline.

Caffeine has also been shown to reduce sperm movement.

Withdrawal effects:

Caffeine withdrawal can produce several side effects. These include:

Headaches

Irritability

Nervousness

Restlessness

Tiredness

Hints for cutting caffeine intake:

Reduce the amount of caffeine slowly to help avoid withdrawal symptoms. Cutting down at a rate of about 1/2 cup a day seems to avoid most side effects.

It may be helpful to keep a guide of how much caffeine you are consuming (including soft drinks) per week and begin cutting down slowly.

Some people prefer to suddenly stop drinking caffeine by going "cold turkey", however, the withdrawal effects can be quite severe with this method.

People experiencing withdrawal symptoms may find it helpful to drink a Coca-Cola.

Caffeine amounts in popular soft drinks per 12 oz cans:

SOFT DRINK/CAFFEINE LEVEL (mgs)

Mountain Dew/55.0 (no caffeine in Canada)

Diet Mountain Dew/55.0

Coca-Cola/45.6

Diet-Cola/45.6

7 Up/0

Caffeine amounts per 7 oz cups of coffee and tea:

DRINK/CAFFEINE LEVEL (mgs)

Espresso/100

Brewed coffee/80 - 135

Instant/65 - 100

Decaf, brewed/3 - 4

Decaf, instant /2 - 3

Tea iced/70

Tea brewed/40 - 60

Tea instant/30

(Caffeine is sometimes called "theine" when it is in tea).

Chocolate also contains caffeine. A 28 gram Cadbury chocolate bar contains about 15 mgs of caffeine.

-Robert

Robert,

I would like to see articles pertaining to the latest research going on in the area of hair loss such as hair multiplication, newer meds in the pipeline, genetic engineering, etc. I would also like to see updates as to how the use of body hair is progressing.

Thanks,

GuitarPlayer

Originally posted by arfy:

Hello ARFY -

Where can I find this paper?? I would be interested to know their philosophy.

Thanks,

KG

Robert

In response to your question of "what kind of articles . . . etc" - it seems to me, looking at each topic in the 5 most popular forums - that the most viewed and replied to topics are (generally): - i) 'Just before and after' photos or articles ii) 'Hard luck' stories iii) Bad Surgeons.

Although by no means a comprehensive list, it gives an insight into the psychologically damaged nature of the readership out there. (I include myself of course).

My preference would have been for topics along the lines of 'Latest developments in HT techniques' or 'physiology and body chemistry issues'. But it is noticeable that postings on purely technical themes like this usually elicit a small fraction of interest (by more than a factor of 10 in some cases - and over similar time periods). Unfortunately this phenomenon does tend to keep my active participation in the HTN down to a minimum. . . But hey, it wouldn't do if we were all the same now would it? . . . Peace.

Regards, Sorleyboy

Where can I find this paper?? I would be interested to know their philosophy.

Thanks,

KG

Hmm, looks like the Research Library section of the website, didn't survive the re-design.

Try going to Google.com, do a search on the phrase the Logic of Follicular Unit Grafting

Great article.