Shockloss around donar scar

Im at 2months post op and have noticed shockloss directly above and below the scar line. Im wondering if its normal, or could it be a strecthed scar. Also Ive notice that my hair growth has basically stopped in the donar area. Is this normal?

Im at 2months post op and have noticed shockloss directly above and below the scar line. Im wondering if its normal, or could it be a strecthed scar. Also Ive notice that my hair growth has basically stopped in the donar area. Is this normal?

Great advice given by the members regarding shockloss.

I picked up on your stretched scar comment. If you are concerned for some reason...

Have a wife/girlfriend/ etc. check the scar's integrity for you.

I am 7 weeks post-op and started working out with light weights and very strict form at 3 days post-op. I'm now at about 80% intensity of where I was before the HT, but I monitor my head/neck strain at all times.

Anyhow, I have my wife check my scar everyday just to make sure there is no stretching. Don't want that.

Good luck with your recent HT!

Ive been real good about taking it easy with regards to working out. It just seems kind of bare all around the scar. I just bought a big mirror that allows me to check it out. My wife keeps telling me its all good, but I didnt trust her. Thanks for the insight, i feel better now.

Shock loss above and below the donor scar should be a fairly rare occurrence. It doesn't happen everyday - or at least shouldn't. It is well known that the cause of telogen hair loss around the donor scar is too tight of a closure, which usually is related to taking too wide a strip in that particular section of the head. This is most commonly a problem at the two "corners" behind the mastoid bone. Fortunately, in the great majority of cases, after a few months the hair starts to regrow again, but in severe cases it can be a permanent loss.

Bottom line: it shouldn't happen.

Mike Beehner, M.D.

Thank you Dr. Beehner for your insight. I will be addressing the scar in the future, most likely with a fue procedure, as I like to wear my hair short. But I was hoping some those lost hairs would eventually make a comeback in the future.