Prednisone!! nightmare!

has anyone else's HT dr. put them on prednisone. if they do, DONT DO IT!

For the last three days I've felt like Im on a tranquilizer. It's giving me disorientation, dizziness, light headedness, i cant focus or concentrate, and i feel like I'm floating around unable to concentrate on one thing or one thought. I stopped taking them 3 days ago and the effects are still here. I feel like im out of my own body. ughh its horrible. has anyone else had these side effects?

Side effects:

???increased appetite

???indigestion

???nervousness or restlessness

Less frequent or rare:

???darkening or lightening of skin color

???dizziness or lightheadedness

???flushing of face or cheeks

???hiccups

???increased sweating

???sensation of spinning

Rare:

???confusion

???excitement

???false sense of well-being

???hallucinations (seeing, hearing, or feeling things that are not there)

???mental depression

???mistaken feelings of self-importance or being mistreated

???mood swings (sudden and wide)

???restlessness

???skin rash or hives

What dosage were you on and for how long? We generally prescribe Prednisone for only 3 days so except for rare occurance of hiccups, our patients do not feel other side effects. Prednisone is used for minimizing swelling.

Kelli,

In 20 years of doing hair transplants and using a four day "burst" of 60mg/40mg/40mg/40mg over that time, I have never in 4600 procedures seen or heard of the side effect you describe occurring. We actually give the first dose of 60mg just before the procedure.

There are THREE SITUATIONS in which I do NOT use Prednisone following the surgery:

1) active peptic ulcer disease

2) diabetes mellitus (it can make it swing out of control for a few days)

3) if there is any question of not wanting to decrease someone's immune system level (such as recently treated lyme disease as an example)

Except for these, I think it is a very, very safe thing to do and does dramatically reduce the incidence of post-transplant swelling in the forehead and eyes area.

The most serious side effect of steroid usage, but one that usually only occurs after prolonged usage (such as for ulcerative colitis or severe asthma) is aseptic necrosis of the hip joints, in which the femoral head loses it's blood supply and hip replacement is needed. I have only seen it once in my medical life and it was after several months of prednisone for ulcerative colitis. Having something like this occur with such a short burst of prednisone dosage would be a one in five million shot of occurring.

Mike Beehner, M.D.

• 2 years later...

I agree,

I had my procedure done and also had to take prednisone for a few days and topped, but it started my anxiety/depression which has not gone away yet.

Why don't doctors check with patients first to see whether they don't have anxiety condition first before prescribing this horrible drug?

I have to take xanax to combat the anxiety which makes me sleepy and can't focus on work and school.:mad: