FUE Offered at Shapiro Medical

I posted this elsewhere, but b/c I keep getting emails about it I decided to post it in the forum.

At this time SMG is offering FUE for scar repairs with a movement toward hairlines/temples.

When Dr. Shapiro returns from Europe in mid June, I hope to have some immediate post-op pics showing the donor areas and the implanted grafts into the scar tissue. Dr. Shapiro is going to be seeing some 1500-2000 graft FUE surgeries while in Europe and seeing some patient results.

At this point in time, we are using a 1.0 sharp punch b/c it allows for almost no transection and keeps some tissue surrounding the grafts, which helps when handling the grafts and implanting them---survival is the key, not speed at this time.

At such time when we begin to officially offer FUE aside from repair, punch sizes will be tailored to the patient, who will be fully informed of his or her choices, but punches will not exceed 1.0mm and should range from .8-.9 for most patients.

Because of the nature of the work, we are only doing 200-300 grafts for scar repairs, at a cost 5.00 per graft---which will include resectioning of the scar if necessary---Dr. Shapiro does not want this procedure to cost more than 1500.00 and will not charge more than 1500.00 for FUE scar repair----the same cost of doing a normal scar revision and implanting several hundred grafts.

I am excited with the progress so far, and I intend to have a session, at some point in the future (not scar repair, regular work) in order to show the benefits of the procedure.

We have done some interesting cases including an African American patient who needed an eyebrow repaired with about 30 grafts.

For those seeking temple points/hairlines by Dr. Shapiro but prefer to wait for FUE --please feel free to ask them or PM me with any concerns you might have or questions so Dr. Shapiro can answer them.

I think it will be a good thing to be transparent with regards to yield and punch size used, in addition to identifying what Dr. Shapiro considers ideal candidates--- as we progress in our experience I expect these parameters to change accordingly.

Additionally, please feel free to express any ideas about what each person individually considers to be a fair price for FUE in general, express questions and concerns about punch sizes, potential session sizes, etc... because we want to consider all issues while Dr. Shapiro is developing his techniques and patient parameters.

Again, right now we are offering FUE for scar repair while moving toward doing hairlines/temple points.

Take Care,

Jason

Go Cubs!

6721 transplanted grafts

13,906 hairs

Performed by Dr. Ron Shapiro

Dr. Ron Shapiro and Dr. Paul Shapiro are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

I posted this elsewhere, but b/c I keep getting emails about it I decided to post it in the forum.

At this time SMG is offering FUE for scar repairs with a movement toward hairlines/temples.

When Dr. Shapiro returns from Europe in mid June, I hope to have some immediate post-op pics showing the donor areas and the implanted grafts into the scar tissue. Dr. Shapiro is going to be seeing some 1500-2000 graft FUE surgeries while in Europe and seeing some patient results.

At this point in time, we are using a 1.0 sharp punch b/c it allows for almost no transection and keeps some tissue surrounding the grafts, which helps when handling the grafts and implanting them---survival is the key, not speed at this time.

At such time when we begin to officially offer FUE aside from repair, punch sizes will be tailored to the patient, who will be fully informed of his or her choices, but punches will not exceed 1.0mm and should range from .8-.9 for most patients.

Because of the nature of the work, we are only doing 200-300 grafts for scar repairs, at a cost 5.00 per graft---which will include resectioning of the scar if necessary---Dr. Shapiro does not want this procedure to cost more than 1500.00 and will not charge more than 1500.00 for FUE scar repair----the same cost of doing a normal scar revision and implanting several hundred grafts.

I am excited with the progress so far, and I intend to have a session, at some point in the future (not scar repair, regular work) in order to show the benefits of the procedure.

We have done some interesting cases including an African American patient who needed an eyebrow repaired with about 30 grafts.

For those seeking temple points/hairlines by Dr. Shapiro but prefer to wait for FUE --please feel free to ask them or PM me with any concerns you might have or questions so Dr. Shapiro can answer them.

I think it will be a good thing to be transparent with regards to yield and punch size used, in addition to identifying what Dr. Shapiro considers ideal candidates--- as we progress in our experience I expect these parameters to change accordingly.

Additionally, please feel free to express any ideas about what each person individually considers to be a fair price for FUE in general, express questions and concerns about punch sizes, potential session sizes, etc... because we want to consider all issues while Dr. Shapiro is developing his techniques and patient parameters.

Again, right now we are offering FUE for scar repair while moving toward doing hairlines/temple points.

Take Care,

Jason

Go Cubs!

6721 transplanted grafts

13,906 hairs

Dr. Ron Shapiro and Dr. Paul Shapiro are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

Jason,

I was wondering when you'd get around to posting this on our forum. I'm glad you did.

Thanks to Dr. Shapiro as usual for the detailed information and for being so transparent with punch sizes, costs, and session sizes. $5 per follicular unit graft certainly sounds reasonable to me.

It will be interesting to hear what Dr. Shapiro thinks of FUE as he gets more involved with it. I have seen some excellent FUE cases and I have seen some really poor ones. The key, of course, is consistency.

It's nice to see Dr. Shapiro rise to the challenge and work toward mastery of the FUE technique. Whether his findings are positive or negative, I hope he'll share his opinion as he works with it more.

I also encourage you to post FUE patient results as you get them.

Thanks,

Bill

Thanks Bill, PGP--- Dr. Shapiro should be back June 10th, I hope to have some FUE scar repair immediate post-op pics around that time.

It is exciting and even more exciting is there is no rush to achieve massive sessions, so we can simply proceed in a sound manner, make sure each graft survives, limit transection, etc...

I have gotten so many emails about this, I can tell those who are interested to post on this thread or PM me what your looking for as far as work goes, that all scar repairs/eyebrows are welcome as of right now---------- those seeking temple points/hairlines/crown touch-up's continue to voice your interest b/c at some point, Dr. Shapiro will begin taking on certain patients at his own discretion.

I do not know the price for other FUE work, but SMG has always been very fair and competitive, so I expect the same for this procedure.

Thanks Again,

Jason

Go Cubs!

6721 transplanted grafts

13,906 hairs

• Moderators

Will you also be doing body hair FUE in addition to regular FUE from the head?

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.

I do not believe so behappy-----at least not that I am aware of----I think Dr. Shapiro would like to perfect his techniques via scalp fue before attempting bht

I might see if he would do 25-50 beard hair grafts from me as an experiment to see what happens.

I don't believe body hair works for a majority of us, but beard hair might represent a viable source.

Take Care,

Jason

Go Cubs!

6721 transplanted grafts

13,906 hairs