5.5 month follow up visit tomorrow

dhuge67

Tomorrow marks 5.5 months since my procedure and I am having the follow up visit with the doctor. A week from tomorrow I have a consultation with Dr. Feller in Great Neck, NY. 2 interesting Fridays of HT related info are ahead of me...

1,614 with Dr. Pistone on 2/3/06 in Marlton, NJ.

As long as the moon shall rise

As long as the rivers flow

As long as the sun shall shine

And the grass will grow

Let me listen, I will learn to speak

The old language

Yes, I yearn to bathe in blue skies

And fall apart from the world of machines

Regain my feet and my pounding heart

My Hair Loss Weblog

Tomorrow marks 5.5 months since my procedure and I am having the follow up visit with the doctor. A week from tomorrow I have a consultation with Dr. Feller in Great Neck, NY. 2 interesting Fridays of HT related info are ahead of me...

And the grass will grow

The old language

My Hair Loss Weblog

dhuge,

just out of curiosity, why not go back to the same doc for your second HT? Are u gonna ask ur first doc his opinion about getting a second procedure done?

HT2 - March, 2013. 2933 grafts.

HT1 - June, 2006. 800 grafts.

Do you think Feller might object to operating on you b/c of your age? Does anyone know if he routinely does patients this young (does spex know perhaps?)? I would assume he'd avoid the liability. What do you do if Feller or another great doc tells you to wait, that you're too young to keep doing these interventions on your scalp at this age?

Originally posted by L'Anonyme:

Do you think Feller might object to operating on you b/c of your age? Does anyone know if he routinely does patients this young (does spex know perhaps?)? I would assume he'd avoid the liability. What do you do if Feller or another great doc tells you to wait, that you're too young to keep doing these interventions on your scalp at this age?

Uhm...I'll be 21 and a half when/if Feller operates on me. I'm on Propecia, willing to give up my crown if needs be, and my donor area is plentiful.

You should see this nest. It looks outrageous right now, since i've let it grow out.

Time will tell what people will say/do, but I'll let you know.

And the grass will grow

The old language

My Hair Loss Weblog

Cool. Good luck. It's just that 21 is by most doctors' standards usually way too young. If your donor is great, that'll definitely be to your advantage. Keep us updated with pics on how the first one grows out--I'm not even 2 months postop so I completely sympathize with how hard it is to wait.

Hi dhuge,

Good Luck and let us know what Dr Feller says. I hope you don't push for an aggressive 21 yo hairline at your age though. Keep us posted on the incoming results of your first HT.

1344 grafts with Ron Shapiro - June 2006

Originally posted by JakeVig:

Hi dhuge,

Good Luck and let us know what Dr Feller says. I hope you don't push for an aggressive 21 yo hairline at your age though. Keep us posted on the incoming results of your first HT.

It's not about the hairline. If everything is already thinned at this point, what does it matter to start work? Jesus, it's not like I am at an early stage of baldness here, I just went really fast, at a really young age. It's the same as a 40 year old would be.

And the grass will grow

The old language

My Hair Loss Weblog

dhuge67 , i agree with you that your age should not stop you from moving forward with a HT, Im sure you are factoring it in with your game plan, but I agree what difference does it make if you are younger. Let us know what the docs have to say and there different approaches, if they are even different.

Doc told me that things are progressing normally and it's too early yet to tell what the results from this procedure will be but my healing is going well and things appear to be fine. He thinks that in February (12 months from the operation) we can evaluate again and see what we may do. He thinks it will be too early to go back in to the native hair for another large HT. He said that time is probably a while off, but I might need some more hair put in the hairline with a smaller session of maybe 800-1,000 FUs to add density to that area. Of course, if I had the original work done with a dense-packing session, this might not be an issue (and it is one now, but it's not a huge deal).

That's probably what I'll do, a micro session to add density to the new hairline which isn't quite up to par with the density of my native hair.

He says I have about 3.5 cm in width of good donor hair, and I assume the length is around 20 cm or more all the way from ear to ear? I have a pretty wide head (take about a 7 1/2 size ball-cap).

Things are looking up.

I'm just glad that I'm not facing another huge financial output (for me, a student, anyway) in less than a year. Plus, since the smaller HT would go in where there is already hair, recovery/concealing would be a lot easier this time around.

And the grass will grow

The old language

My Hair Loss Weblog

One of the things I'm wondering about is when Dr. Pistone told me that he didn't think that in a year's time it would be appropriate to have another large session. He said he didn't know where the hair would be placed. However, I am pretty sure that the guys doing dense-packing with loops/close-up imaging devices would be able to find plenty of open scalp all throughout the top of my head for a large 2,000+ session.

What do you all think?

BTW, Feller called to tell me that they were going to be out of the office this Friday or maybe he had surgery so my consult is being put off for now.

I am 5.5 months today and I'm a bit happier as the density has increased somewhat, there are some more sprouts, and I know I've got my best days ahead...

And the grass will grow

The old language

My Hair Loss Weblog

If you are looking to get another transplant, I would wait to get the full results (12-18 months) of the one you just had and then re-evaluate with a Feller, H&W, or Shapiro.

Don't get cut open again for a "smaller" session if you do not need to. How many strips do you want to have done of 1600 or less FUs when you can have one megasession and be done with it? Save up for as long as needed, then go back and be done for a significant period of time.

Get an online consult with each of these doctors then decide. The less number of surgeries the better, don't you agree?

My initial HT thread:

done and done!! Check it out...

Oh, i agree...however, i want to see if propecia can take hold...and i might want a small session to cover the hairline where it's not quite up to par...or i could wait til it all thins to the point where i could just do a one-and-done.

And the grass will grow

The old language

My Hair Loss Weblog