Getting over the fear factor, the possible negatives and going for it!

Hi Guys,have been cruising this site for a few years now and thank you for all the great views and knowledge imparted.I now feel very well educated on the whole ht process thanks to you!

This is my first post so please forgive me if it goes on a bit...

My situation, age 41,NW3 at the moment, temporal recession and the frontal forelock rapidly thinning.Have been on propecia for about 5yrs on and off but solidly for the last year so crown and back two thirds of the top of my head seem to be holding up ok.My hair is fine but there is still quite a lot of it.

I've consulted with a few of the top docs and I'm pretty sure when, and if, I go for it I'll go to Dr Alexander because of his great hairline work.He reckoned 2500 grafts to get what I need.

Over the years my perception of my hair loss has been completely out of proportion to the actual loss ,for which I have been to therapy and I think my anxiety with all things hair is very deep rooted,if you excuse the pun, and related to things that happened when I was a lot younger.However, it has caused serious depression,ruined my enjoyment of life,put a severe strain on my long term relationship and I still spend far too many hours thinking about it or checking in the mirror,so I'm pretty sure if the ht turned out fantastic it would transform my life.

The problem is I'm a terrible worrier( I can't believe the years and energy I wasted when there was really no noticeable loss to the casual observer) and I also work in the entertainment industry so things like scarring, naturalness, and shock loss in the recipient(I can't shave down because if I do I won't be able to work ) and donor areas become a slighter bigger deal, because if everything doesn't go quite according to plan it impacts on my employment opportunities.

Given that I went completely overboard about my hair loss situation in the first place I also have this sneaky suspicion that rather than being overjoyed that my annoying, boring hair loss issue might finally be resolved, by having an ht, I'll be constantly worrying about all the aforementioned concerns.

So in conclusion, 1)what were the final decision making factors for you all in saying "that's it I'm getting it done", and 2)I know this is probably unanswerable but just in case....does anybody know what the percentage of scars that stretch and percentage shock loss in donor and recipient areas,when not shaved down, in surgeries performed by the top docs is?

God I've gone on and on, so sorry but anything that could allay my fears would really help.

I'M SO BORED OF WORRYING ABOUT MY HAIR

Surely there were some other worriers out there!

Many thanks

Moldilocks

ps can't post any pictures

Hi Guys,have been cruising this site for a few years now and thank you for all the great views and knowledge imparted.I now feel very well educated on the whole ht process thanks to you!

My situation, age 41,NW3 at the moment, temporal recession and the frontal forelock rapidly thinning.Have been on propecia for about 5yrs on and off but solidly for the last year so crown and back two thirds of the top of my head seem to be holding up ok.My hair is fine but there is still quite a lot of it.

I've consulted with a few of the top docs and I'm pretty sure when, and if, I go for it I'll go to Dr Alexander because of his great hairline work.He reckoned 2500 grafts to get what I need.

Over the years my perception of my hair loss has been completely out of proportion to the actual loss ,for which I have been to therapy and I think my anxiety with all things hair is very deep rooted,if you excuse the pun, and related to things that happened when I was a lot younger.However, it has caused serious depression,ruined my enjoyment of life,put a severe strain on my long term relationship and I still spend far too many hours thinking about it or checking in the mirror,so I'm pretty sure if the ht turned out fantastic it would transform my life.

The problem is I'm a terrible worrier( I can't believe the years and energy I wasted when there was really no noticeable loss to the casual observer) and I also work in the entertainment industry so things like scarring, naturalness, and shock loss in the recipient(I can't shave down because if I do I won't be able to work ) and donor areas become a slighter bigger deal, because if everything doesn't go quite according to plan it impacts on my employment opportunities.

Given that I went completely overboard about my hair loss situation in the first place I also have this sneaky suspicion that rather than being overjoyed that my annoying, boring hair loss issue might finally be resolved, by having an ht, I'll be constantly worrying about all the aforementioned concerns.

So in conclusion, 1)what were the final decision making factors for you all in saying "that's it I'm getting it done", and 2)I know this is probably unanswerable but just in case....does anybody know what the percentage of scars that stretch and percentage shock loss in donor and recipient areas,when not shaved down, in surgeries performed by the top docs is?

God I've gone on and on, so sorry but anything that could allay my fears would really help.

Many thanks

Moldilocks

Your situation and reaction is a lot like the rest of ours, just maybe a bit more extreme. icon_biggrin.gif

You should check out Dr. Beehner's recent post under the topic of possible downsides to a transplant. In it he addresses the probability of all the "side effects" that can be associated with a transplant in 2008. It's come a long way, and I think you'll be suprised at how low a risk all the stuff you named actually is.

BTW, at four months, I haven't had any of the issues you mentioned. In fact, after a couple of weeks I felt about 95% normal. In a couple of months it was 100%.

100? 'mini' grapfts by Latham's Hair Clinic - 1991 (Removed 50 plugs by Cooley 3/08.)

2750 FU 3/20/08 by Dr. Cooley

My Hair Loss Website - Hair Transplant with Dr. Cooley

Current regimen:

1.66 mg Proscar M-W-F

Rogaine 5% Foam - every now and then

AndroGel - once daily

Lipitor - 5 mg every other day

Weightlifting - 2x per week

Jogging - 3x per week

Originally posted by moldilocks:

Many thanks

Moldilocks

When I begain losing in early 20's, I had extreme anxiety about it. I remember the days in college eating ramen noodles and scraping together enough cash (and selling things) to buy $40 bottles of Rogaine, which didnt work.

I think if anyone is prone to anxiety, hairloss is a wonderful outlet for that anxiety! I remember taking care of myself, eating well, working out religiously, dressing well, tanning salons (bad idea), and getting everything together to the point where meeting women was very easy. I suppose my "system" was based upon having everything "just right", and hairloss totally destroyed my approach to socializing with women.

Of course this is how simplistic a 21 year old views the world. Over the past 15+ years the loss continued, I learned how to make the most of what i had until it was all gone. I was still anxious about it, but like a permanent wound that has healed over with scarring, being bald became a part of my personality. I guess I accepted, with depression rather than anxiety, my reduced social standing.

The point is that I learned to cope to the point where it wasnt actively causing me stress, but I also wasnt going clubbing or doing any "youthful" social things.

I had a HT about 7 months ago to restore the front 2/3rds and while I am not completely happy with the coverage and healing process, to be totally hoonest, I am happy with the decision because, while my result is not finished, I am no longer bald and I look better than I did before. I regognize that I will probably benefit from another 3000 grafts, but when I get another 3000, I should look quite good. That thought is encouraging!

Quite frankly though, relative to other challenges in my life, the hair loss was somewhat minor. I view the HT as a way to make myslef more comfortable in my life so that I can take on bigger challenges.

Given you age and loss pattern, I would say its a no brainer if you can afford it.

I would like to add that given your position in entertainment, you are going to have to figure out a way to deal with downtime. The back and sides will be healed in short order and presentable within days if covered with hair. However, the recipient will likely be red for up to 3 months, and if you have any native hair which is shaved down, you will look differnt.

IMO, you could take two appraoches. Go to H&W who are able to give you a "one and done" session of 4K+ grafts. Denser sessions have the appearance of growing faster and reduce chances of needing a follow up. However they shave your native hair to plant more densely.

THe other approach would be to find a doctor who works within existing native hair. Epstein comes to mind. The liklihood of a follow up is higher, but your transition will be more gradual. Really depsnds on how much loss you have. If you are mostly bald, I would only consider a doc who routinely plants 4K because you will need EVERY ONE of those grafts with fine hair. If you have cosmetically significant native hair in the recipient, then consider the other approach.