"In normal implantations, yield is around 85 percent due to apoptosis of some follicu

JacobS

Spotted this on another forum and thought it worth sharing:

http://www.dermatologytimes.com/dermatologytimes/article/articleDetail.jsp?id=140971

highpoint I thought was that:

"Upon harvesting and implantation, follicular units enter a latency period of three to four months.

"Sprouting is slow and progressive up to the seventh month, when all hair follicles will have germinated," Dr. Uebel says. "In normal implantations, yield is around 85 percent due to apoptosis of some follicular units."

I had thought it might be higher. Had I realised this I might have compensated.

Great to see news that research continues and making headway. Guys who can afford to wait a year or two should obviously.

http://www.dermatologytimes.com/dermatologytimes/article/articleDetail.jsp?id=140971

"Upon harvesting and implantation, follicular units enter a latency period of three to four months.

"Sprouting is slow and progressive up to the seventh month, when all hair follicles will have germinated," Dr. Uebel says. "In normal implantations, yield is around 85 percent due to apoptosis of some follicular units."

Great to see news that research continues and making headway. Guys who can afford to wait a year or two should obviously.

I'd think that 85% is a little high, judging from my own experience; the density I perceived immediately following the HT doesn't seem to have held up as the months have gone by. But it's very difficult to make an accurate judgement - comparing the no of grafts in a "fuzz" to the number at an inch and a half long.

I find the hair on top considerably thinner than the sides ( I went from NW5 to 3500 grafts ) - the scalp is easily visible.

Maybe 3500 wasn't enough for high density. My surgeon has seen the latest photos, and assures me it's turned out "just as he expected" and my 50% figure is inaccurate.

Hell, I can't tell. As I've said elsewhere, I'm no longer bald on top and look ten years younger, so I'm not going to argue the toss.

• 1 month later...

85% regrowth is common today and with microspic FUs with strip, the yeild is approaching 95-100% with skilled doctors with normal placement. Research showes 25-35 FU per sq the survival rate is great, however dense packing usually has a lower survival rate-- maybe this is what this particular doctor was referencing?

Originally posted by EastCoast:

Hey Kez,

I was a NW5. I had Elvis hair. My 3800 grafts gives me a semi-balding look. No illusion of density here.

So you're your happy with the result?

• 1 year later...

I had a HT -Punctiform micrograft technique performed this past tuesday by dr uebel

Originally posted by JacobS:

http://www.dermatologytimes.com/dermatologytimes/articl...Detail.jsp?id=140971

Originally posted by EastCoast:

Hey Kez,

I was a NW5. I had Elvis hair. My 3800 grafts gives me a semi-balding look. No illusion of density here.

wow with 3800 grafts you should have decent coverage